Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you participate in Mini-Events more often if you knew when they were going to occur?

Yus. 0.79411764705882 79.4% [ 135 ]
No. 0.14705882352941 14.7% [ 25 ]
Maybe idnowats a minievnt lol pollhoar/undecided. 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 170 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

PlumpGerty's Significant Otter

Edit (9/23/09): After thinking about it more, I've decided that the best solution would be to give us a 5-10 minute warning before an event starts. I would also love for that message to go global (displayed in every area of zomg, except maybe instances) about 2-3 minutes before it starts, but I'd be happy with just the prior warning.

Orb spills should be excluded =)

This post is amazing. I love it.

Bladeglory
User Image The Way of the Sword User Image
~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

Sometimes people are lucky enough to notice things. They can set off an alarm for the area/nearby areas/server. This allows more people to be there before the event happens. But if the enemy isn't noticed before they get there, people are a bit too busy to call for help.

Barton - Somebody on top of a building sees AirShark flying towards town.
Village Greens - Somebody sees trails of destroyed grass.
Bill's Ranch - Somebody notices the chicken feed smells weird.
Zen Gardens - Somebody sees the Clutches flying through the brush on their way to Zen.
Bass'ken Lake - Somebody notices fresh tunnels dug all over the place.
Old Aqueduct - Somebody GIB agent notices a spike in the teleportation matrix.
Gold Beach - Somebody sees the P3s heading to the Beach.
Otami Ruins - Somebody feels the spiritual disturbance of the Tiny Terrors.

----

----

I've been thinking about Mini-Events recently, and how they always happen at the worst possible moments. Either I'm busy with something else, no one is online to help, or I'm just not prepared for it. I actually really enjoy some of the Mini-Events, and it's a shame that I rarely play them.

But I've realized... I would participate in the Mini-Events a lot more if I knew when they were going to occur!

So, I was thinking that having a schedule on the server selection screen that either shows the next 3-5 events or all the events for the day would encourage people to participate in the events.

Would you play the Mini-Events more often if you knew when they were going to occur? Do you agree/disagree with the idea of a schedule for the events? Is there a better way to encourage participation? Discuss *nodnod* =)

----

I kinda like this quote:
kagrra x
yes, because then i could prepare my friends and crew up together.
now it's just chaotic. i know it's supposed to be like this but some players prefer to play games with good crews/friends but if those aren't online it's another event wasted.
Currently, getting your friends to join an event is pointless. By the time they get online and get to the area, the event is already half-over.

Another solution would be to give a 5-10 minute warning before an event starts. That gives you time to change rings, suppress, and get some friends to join you. It's an okay solution, but I think some type schedule would be even better.

5,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Yep, I would participate more if I knew when they were going to happen 'cuz then I'd be able to be sure I would have enough people to help and finish the event.
It kinda really sucks when an event starts up and you're trying to do it only to realize.... no one else is doing it. :<

Orb spills should not be announced though.... that would just be toooooo easy. o;<

But yeah, a little event schedule would be cool. Even if it was on the main site kinda like the badges are.

Kinxed
Yep, I would participate more if I knew when they were going to happen 'cuz then I'd be able to be sure I would have enough people to help and finish the event.
It kinda really sucks when an event starts up and you're trying to do it only to realize.... no one else is doing it. :<

Orb spills should not be announced though.... that would just be toooooo easy. o;<

But yeah, a little event schedule would be cool. Even if it was on the main site kinda like the badges are.
Good point about the orb spills, I didn't think about that. They should be excluded.

Getting other people to help is a huge part of why I think a schedule would be awesome. If you knew that Bug Breakout was going to start at 3pm, you could tell your friends, and at 3pm you could all show up and play! =D

And it doesn't really matter where the schedule is, as long as it exists and is reasonably easy to access. Putting it on the server selection screen just seemed to make the most sense.

5,650 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
OMFG Taylor
Kinxed

Good point about the orb spills, I didn't think about that. They should be excluded.

Getting other people to help is a huge part of why I think a schedule would be awesome. If you knew that Bug Breakout was going to start at 3pm, you could tell your friends, and at 3pm you could all show up and play! =D
Fer shiz!
You know we'd crew for that s**t. ;D

Shy Werewolf

~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

How about half of them are given a short notice in advance, and half of them are spontaneous? That way there's still a surprise factor involved sometimes.

8,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
yes, because then i could prepare my friends and crew up together.
now it's just chaotic. i know it's supposed to be like this but some players prefer to play games with good crews/friends but if those aren't online it's another event wasted.

6,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
I think they happen too often.

Sometimes even twice in a row.

But I kinda like the spontaneous...ness whee

Bladeglory
~~~0==}|3ladeglory~~~

How about half of them are given a short notice in advance, and half of them are spontaneous? That way there's still a surprise factor involved sometimes.
Hmm, it's a little awkward, but it would be better than the way it is now... and it would retain the "random" aspect of the Mini-Events.

I'd still prefer to see all the mini-events, but this is still a great solution, and I'd happily accept it xD

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
It kinda defeats the point the devs originally intended for it, really, but that aside, yes, I would. I always want to participate in the Otami event, but... when it happens, I'm either helping people find their way around, or don't have the rings I want.

Arkyron
It kinda defeats the point the devs originally intended for it, really, but that aside, yes, I would. I always want to participate in the Otami event, but... when it happens, I'm either helping people find their way around, or don't have the rings I want.
Yeah, it definitely would hamper the idea of "Random" Mini-Events, but to be honest, I think that concept is slightly flawed.

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
True enough.

Codebreaking Phantom

8,050 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
While I would play (certain) events more often if there was a schedule, I don't think it's a good idea to release one. The mini-events were intended to be random and they should stay that way.

I think the problem is less the events themselves and more the players - meaning all those who sit around the Null or another safe area until everything is over. I just returned from a Bug Breakout where there were lots of players on the map, but hardly anyone was helping. Do I need to mention it didn't turn out successful?

So rather than having a schedule I'd like to have a way to call other players for support, like Clan-chat (if it wasn't broken) or the possibility to whisper to everyone on you friendlist currently on the server. Maybe even some sort of global message displayed the moment a mini-event becomes active - though not for Orb Spills.

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I like the randomness of the Events, and "hunting" for them. I hated when they annouced them on the site, it took the surprise out of it. Besides, they are suppose to be unannounced, it would defeat the perpose of them if you could plan when to play them.

No if you want to schedule something then schedule the server cycles. That would nice.

Bobannan's Wife

Desirable Sex Symbol

12,750 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
I would go for the warning, half the time I just give up on an event because by the time me and a couple friends are ready it's already almost over. 10 minute warning and I'd actually finish off the last couple event badges I have (including both the Otami badges, because I haven't ever doen that event crying )

Judeau_the_Modest
While I would play (certain) events more often if there was a schedule, I don't think it's a good idea to release one. The mini-events were intended to be random and they should stay that way.
Should they, though? I know that's how they were supposed to be, but is it actually better that way?

Judeau_the_Modest
I think the problem is less the events themselves and more the players - meaning all those who sit around the Null or another safe area until everything is over. I just returned from a Bug Breakout where there were lots of players on the map, but hardly anyone was helping. Do I need to mention it didn't turn out successful?
You can't really blame the players, though. If they don't want to participate, they don't have to. However... you can try to think of ways to make participation easier and more enjoyable (which is what I'm trying to do >__> ) .

Judeau_the_Modest
So rather than having a schedule I'd like to have a way to call other players for support, like Clan-chat (if it wasn't broken) or the possibility to whisper to everyone on you friendlist currently on the server. Maybe even some sort of global message displayed when a mini-event becomes active - though not for Orb Spills.
That would be nice, but by the time your friends show up, a significant portion of the event will be over :<

(A global message would be really nice =D)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff