Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Codger

Hello, all!

With the Halloween event drawing to a close, and everything starting to settle down a bit, I figured this was as good a time as any - I have a question, you see. I've seen a lot of Event commentary throughout z!F, and I thought I'd take a moment to try and draw it up in one place. So, in short:

What are your ideas on the Halloween event - specifically, what or how do you think they could've done it better?

I realise that we've got a whole team of devs who did everything they could to make the event everything we deserved; but I see no reason to let the multitude of (mostly) functioning minds that is the zOMG! Community go to waste. Whatever suggestions you've got, let 'em out. 3nodding

A couple guidelines, as well:

• Keep the negativity to a minimum - this is intended for suggestions, not insults. If all you've got to say is that you hated it, that's not contributing. whee
  • Keep it meaningful - if you really believe the event was perfect, that's worth saying. Otherwise, just saying you liked it really isn't within the scope of this thread. sweatdrop
  • This thread is being pre-emptively linked in the zOMG! Ideas Repository - if for some reason you're opposed to that project, I suppose you ought not post here. eek

That being said, let's see what the community's got... wink

Suggestions
  • Be very selective about which badges are "hidden"; with the forums disseminating information like they do, such badges wind up being more a nuisance than a secret.
  • Utilise the current Mini-Events system to bypass the problems of strictly Hate-based reward grants.
  • Feature Event bosses in instances to avoid server-hopping issues; similarly, be careful of the high-rarity/high-reward concept, and consider how player-to-player communication can diminish the former.
  • Always leave at least some of any quest-relevant enemies; particularly for those that follow the main quest chain.
  • Consider the possibility of hosting one or more non-event servers; many zOMG! regulars don't seem to appreciate the disruption in normal activities that Events often cause.

Familiar Lunatic

I don't know how far or close I came to the 1k Ghost badge.
I wish I did :3

Benevolent Codger

gataka

I did see an awful lot of talk about that. Apparently the zOMG! Community cares about their badges, and they're not too keen on the hidden ones... sweatdrop

Pirra-chan's Significant Otter

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Just on the halloween event?

Well, for starters, they should start thinking of making these encounters a mini-event, so people who win can still get rewards, and accordingly to how much they worked for it, regardless of the boss hating you or not.

Or maybe not. Such load of work.

I dunno, any suggestion to help with the whole "no-reward" mess would be appreciated. (mind it that I always got rewarded whenever I killed Jack)

8,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
The ghosts were amazing. They were accessible to everyone, no matter their level, and they were nice, cute little surprises every time. I especially loved the ones hiding in the bushes or behind some trees or something that you really had to look for. Jack was hard to find and harder to kill. I felt that the ghosts really made the event more open to everyone, rather than just the tough people who happened to find Jack in the right place at the right time.

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai
gataka

I did see an awful lot of talk about that. Apparently the zOMG! Community cares about their badges, and they're not too keen on the hidden ones... sweatdrop
I'm not too keen on not knowing how much time I have left to invest, busy schedule and all, and I enjoy seeing the number rise, the feedback keeps me going :3

And it's not hidden to me, I roam this place too much >.>
There's no such thing as "hidden" on the interwebs, anyway.

@Quintafeira12: interesting idea :O

Benevolent Codger

Quintafeira12
Just on the halloween event?

Well, for starters, they should start thinking of making these encounters a mini-event, so people who win can still get rewards, and accordingly to how much they worked for it, regardless of the boss hating you or not.

Or maybe not. Such load of work.

I dunno, any suggestion to help with the whole "no-reward" mess would be appreciated. (mind it that I always got rewarded whenever I killed Jack)

I never defeated Jack without a reward, either; but then I didn't go looking for him. Utilising the mini-event format to help guarantee rewards is an interesting suggestion, though...

EDIT: Oh! You can also include things you'd like to see done differently in future events, if that's what you mean. I'd prefer to keep it event-related, though... sweatdrop

Benevolent Codger

gataka
Red Kutai
gataka

I'm not too keen on not knowing how much time I have left to invest, busy schedule and all, and I enjoy seeing the number rise, the feedback keeps me going :3

And it's not hidden to me, I roam this place too much >.>
There's no such thing as "hidden" on the interwebs, anyway.

@Quintafeira12: interesting idea :O

Yeah, well that was the intent, anyways. Perhaps the only way they'd be able to make truly hidden badges would be for them not to tell you how you got them... xp

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai

Yeah, well that was the intent, anyways. Perhaps the only way they'd be able to make truly hidden badges would be for them not to tell you how you got them... xp
Ya, I know, but since they're not really hidden anyway, might as well show'em, I say.

They should try that. "Ummm...here, have a badge." badge with a "We don't know either." description! :O

You get it when...huh...yeah!

Benevolent Codger

gataka
Red Kutai

Ya, I know, but since they're not really hidden anyway, might as well show'em, I say.

They should try that. "Ummm...here, have a badge." badge with a "We don't know either." description! :O

whee Well, if your Ghost in the Shell badge hadn't included the 1000 Ghosts explanation, people would've known nothing more about it (ignoring the fact that it was the same as the Easter eggs) than that you got it while fighting Ghosts. Sure, people would've speculated at it, but I think it would seemed much less annoying to simply not know how to get it, than to know how and have the game taunting you by not helping you count.

Basically, if they're going to make them "hidden", make sure they stay that way... sweatdrop

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai
gataka
Red Kutai

whee Well, if your Ghost in the Shell badge hadn't included the 1000 Ghosts explanation, people would've known nothing more about it (ignoring the fact that it was the same as the Easter eggs) than that you got it while fighting Ghosts. Sure, people would've speculated at it, but I think it would seemed much less annoying to simply not know how to get it, than to know how and have the game taunting you by not helping you count.

Basically, if they're going to make them "hidden", make sure they stay that way... sweatdrop
Yep, this would be the proper way to have me kill a random number of stuff.

I'm sure someone would figure out the information, thought... unless they scramble it with the power of RANDOM. But let's keep it at that.

8,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
What I would have loved is an Instanced dungeon like SS for jack that could be accessed through barton town that you could do once a day instead of running around searching and lagging the hell out of the servers when masses of people log in to rape him.

Aged Gaian

Next time they should reserve a handful of servers to not be altered by the event.
I just started playing Zomg when the event started, but some of the fluff quests I couldn't do because all the fluffs were pumpkins.

Sure, all I had to do was all the other quests or whatever and wait for the event to be done, but I wanted to do things in order and because I couldn't it took a lot away from the game.
While the ghosts were fun and cute, I can't help but feel they made the event less unique and interesting. They're just a clone of the Easter Eggs, so much so to the point that I just retooled the Easter Guide I made earlier this year (but didn't get up in time to be useful) and just changed "egg" to "ghost" without doing much editing. That's not interesting, it's repetitive. I'd rather not see them again (much as I still want their badges...)

The rest was so amazing though! Jack was so much fun to hunt down and fight, ToT is a classic that we can't do without, and I hope we never have another Halloween without pumpkin fluffs ever again! heart If only there were a different trigger for Jack than an orb spill/Easter Egg clone, the event would have been absolutely perfect.

8,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
Melancholy Melanoma
I just started playing Zomg when the event started, but some of the fluff quests I couldn't do because all the fluffs were pumpkins.

Sure, all I had to do was all the other quests or whatever and wait for the event to be done, but I wanted to do things in order and because I couldn't it took a lot away from the game.

Agreed. I started playing the game not long before the event, and I was annoyed to be stuck without having done any of the Logan quests, even though I was ready to move on to bigger, better places. While setting aside entire servers seems like it would be rather difficult for the devs, I think it would be nice if, like, half the fluffs were turned into pumpkin fluffs. I'm not sure if that would be more or less difficult than setting aside servers. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff