Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

CL matters, a heal tank is standard because the other methods of gaining aggro (like Taunt) are fundamentally broken in a way no player can overcome.

A healer is only needed in DMS. Other areas the position becomes moot because the level of the game has been so reduced to cater to people who want a quick and easy game. There are different combinations of rings, but your tank is always going to come down to: (1) healing; (2) kiting, in order to keep the monster's attention while the DPSers clear the room.

I don't know what other kind of information you're looking for. There isn't much deviation from the standard because the game is simply too broken to support any other definition of tank.
XPrinceofSpooky3
Um... not to be rude, but shouldn't everyone in the z!F already be aware of this?

Were you harassed for your playstyle / ring-set or something?

I meet people all the time who have no idea what aggro or tanking is.

Of course not, I made this to better support other people trying different techniques. ^-^
Deldevious
As long as everyone is kept alive and the tank does at somewhat decent job at retaining aggro (dpsers don't have to run 2 canada to kneel) then idc what rings they bring. I like seeing alternative sets that actually work.

Which is what I'm saying. I'm glad you agree. Thanks. ^-^
Rainbow Filled Nights
Since when is there a correct way to tank?
As long as you can keep aggro and keep the crew alive there shouldn't be a right way. You can be any level you want to, and you can execute the job anyway you want to.
Just a 10.3 tank will be harder to keep alive rather than an 11.8 tank.

Did you not read or just not understand my post?

You have the right idea, but your basically restating what I said. The only correct way to tank or aggro is by doing the basic job of a tank/aggro that classifies them as a tank or aggro. Anything else they can change such as personal rules/jobs to make it more efficient.
MistressMinako
CL matters, a heal tank is standard because the other methods of gaining aggro (like Taunt) are fundamentally broken in a way no player can overcome.

A healer is only needed in DMS. Other areas the position becomes moot because the level of the game has been so reduced to cater to people who want a quick and easy game. There are different combinations of rings, but your tank is always going to come down to: (1) healing; (2) kiting, in order to keep the monster's attention while the DPSers clear the room.

I don't know what other kind of information you're looking for. There isn't much deviation from the standard because the game is simply too broken to support any other definition of tank.

I'm just explaining that tank/aggroing doesn't directly refer to the act of healing yourself. But instead refers to the act of building hate which is most commonly done by healing. It's a way to support other methods and ring sets by explaining the basics of aggro/tanking. Healing; It's a personal rule/job made and populated among the aggro/tanking community due to its efficiency. But even so people still change how they heal, what other rings they bring with heals. I'm just supporting it saying that a certain ring set isn't considered right or wrong aggro/tanking as long as they do their basic job that classifies them as an aggro/tank.

CL only matters on the area, at 1.0 you can still aggro/kite for someone else. It's not on a broad level or necessary in an average situation but it's still consider good aggro/tanking/kiting if they live and properly do their basic job.

Malevolent Sex Symbol

10,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
User Image
/doesn't do effort but is being made to reply to this

*apologizes in advance if she sounds rough or abrasive but doesn't feel good so just typed and didn't really think and did not mean to potentially offend anyone*

A tanks job in my opinion and how I tank is to be a part of the team and to try and make it so that you die as little as possible. In my crews this means i take one or two buffs that don't include meat. I put in as much effort in helping the crew as everyone else does and spend more Supercharges without complaining then everyone else. I feel that to do less is being lazy and elitist of a sort. However I understand that everyone has their own ways of tanking and that they have ring sets they like and don't want to give up and that is up to them they can do it their way and I will continue to do it mine. But I am also one that will personally grab knife for kam 1 since i don't have anyone bring it into gr and i don't want to make anyone give up a ring set they have gotten used to so far.

on a side~sh note:
Heal aggro is most often used in DMS because there are no or very few aeos so crews are only doing single damage to a single monster at a time this makes it easier to gain and keep aggro by healing yourself and the crew. Where as in a setting such as smob or smeb this principle doesn't not work... trust me. Been there, tried it, died from it. But a AOE tank in this area does very well if you ever want to know or try it your self let me know and I will take you on a 40 ring challenge.

//goes back to movie marathon because of headache
kimo hamoshi
User Image
/doesn't do effort but is being made to reply to this

*apologizes in advance if she sounds rough or abrasive but doesn't feel good so just typed and didn't really think and did not mean to potentially offend anyone*

A tanks job in my opinion and how I tank is to be a part of the team and to try and make it so that you die as little as possible. In my crews this means i take one or two buffs that don't include meat. I put in as much effort in helping the crew as everyone else does and spend more Supercharges without complaining then everyone else. I feel that to do less is being lazy and elitist of a sort. However I understand that everyone has their own ways of tanking and that they have ring sets they like and don't want to give up and that is up to them they can do it their way and I will continue to do it mine. But I am also one that will personally grab knife for kam 1 since i don't have anyone bring it into gr and i don't want to make anyone give up a ring set they have gotten used to so far.

on a side~sh note:
Heal aggro is most often used in DMS because there are no or very few aeos so crews are only doing single damage to a single monster at a time this makes it easier to gain and keep aggro by healing yourself and the crew. Where as in a setting such as smob or smeb this principle doesn't not work... trust me. Been there, tried it, died from it. But a AOE tank in this area does very well if you ever want to know or try it your self let me know and I will take you on a 40 ring challenge.

//goes back to movie marathon because of headache

Lol I didn't make you, I kindly asked on skype. But yes thank you for your reply. <3

Lonely Student

I basically agree with what you said.

- An aggro/tank’s job is to grab the animated’s attention and keep it on him/herself instead of the rest of the crew, and to position him/herself to where the crew won’t get hit by the animated’s aoe. This is only really practical within DMS and even then it’s only really necessary for Bloodlust, though helpful in YM/GR/HPR/Crypt especially for newbs.

- There’s not really a “right” or a ”wrong” in this. “Good” and “bad” is pretty much determined by if the aggro/tank is doing the above, or just floundering around trying to figure out what to do and not understanding what’s going wrong (which I’ve had happen before). X3

And uhhh, I maintain that it’s not hard to aggro YM even at CL10 as long as the aggro/tank has an idea of what he/she’s doing and knows how to reset things, but that’s just me and I haven’t actually tried it since I was CL10 myself.

//yeah not really anything to contribute, lol.
W`nnabe
      I basically agree with what you said.

- An aggro/tank’s job is to grab the animated’s attention and keep it on him/herself instead of the rest of the crew, and to position him/herself to where the crew won’t get hit by the animated’s aoe. This is only really practical within DMS and even then it’s only really necessary for Bloodlust, though helpful in YM/GR/HPR/Crypt especially for newbs.

- There’s not really a “right” or a ”wrong” in this. “Good” and “bad” is pretty much determined by if the aggro/tank is doing the above, or just floundering around trying to figure out what to do and not understanding what’s going wrong (which I’ve had happen before). X3

And uhhh, I maintain that it’s not hard to aggro YM even at CL10 as long as the aggro/tank has an idea of what he/she’s doing and knows how to reset things, but that’s just me and I haven’t actually tried it since I was CL10 myself.

//yeah not really anything to contribute, lol.

Thanks W'nnabe. I'm glad you agree, I agree with what you've said. ^_^
Bump. heart

Genos kun's Datemate

Dedicated Grabber

Thank you for making this Devit, the forum you've made is very helpful with explaining the defenishion and all around purpose of agro/tanker without getting to complacated.

I, just as you have met multiple users in zOMG DMS some of who were in their 11th level who where unawear of the role of a tanker and the basics of what they do.

And that if they wanted to do it, even when assigned their rings, where unaware of what role they were to play in the game, and how to use the ring properly.

Next time I come across one, I'll make sure to direct them here, It is very helpful.

:]
Sir Cili
Thank you for making this Devit, the forum you've made is very helpful with explaining the defenishion and all around purpose of agro/tanker without getting to complacated.

I, just as you have met multiple users in zOMG DMS some of who were in their 11th level who where unawear of the role of a tanker and the basics of what they do.

And that if they wanted to do it, even when assigned their rings, where unaware of what role they were to play in the game, and how to use the ring properly.

Next time I come across one, I'll make sure to direct them here, It is very helpful.

:]

I'm glad you find it helpful, that purpose wasn't my original purpose but it works. My original purpose was to remind experienced aggro/tanks what aggro/tanking really means. So they don't judge other peoples way of doing it as less than their own.

Dangerous Sex Symbol

Sambray
ANTER0S

TR.

Pretty sure you should always go TL when tanking. SAMBRAY.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff