Welcome to Gaia! ::

A shallow breath. It is very quiet. Two chairs, one across from the other, both occupied, a desk, a decade, and a diploma separating the two occupants:
A boy, not old, not so young anymore, should be on his way to college soon. His back presses up against the chair, face carefully held blank, eyes locked on the man in front of him.
A doctor across from him, suit wrinkling, glasses slightly askew, hair just graying. He pushes forward, eager as a child, his torso stretching across his desk as much as the chair will allow, his hands folded in front of him as though praying.
“Zee,” the doctor begins, “Zee.”
“Leave me alone.” It comes out sharper than Zee had meant. Something flashes across the boy’s face. It is—yes, maybe… it is…
“Is that one of them?” the doctor asks. “Sid, is that you?”
“Shut the ******** up.” Zee is slipping. Sid wants out. “There is no Sid.” That is a lie. “Look, I’m fine, okay? Just leave me alone, okay?” His voice gets louder, less a question, more a demand. The boy is pressing forward towards the other man, nostrils flaring, eyes in a glare.
The doctor clicks his pens and waits. The boy struggles for a moment, fingers twitching, slowly pulling himself back into his chair, slowly crossing his arms over his chest. His lips are moving faintly, his face vaguely contorting.
“Can you tell me why you’re upset?” the doctor asks calmly.
“I don’t understand why I’m here,” the boy pushes his chin out ever so slightly, posture somewhat straighter, voice strong. “Can I just go home? I’m fine, we have homework—“ the boy clamps his mouth shut.
“‘We’?” one of the doctor’s eyebrows arches in generic expression of a question. “Tell me about this ‘we,’ Ghost.”
“Who’s Ghost?” the boy asks, feigning confusion. This is an old game; the doctor waits impatiently, tapping his fingers lightly against the desk.
“You’re not protecting him, Ghost,” the doctor sounds… tired. “Hiding the problem doesn’t make it go away.” The boy’s face twitches. Wrong word.
“So we’re a ‘problem’ now? We’re people. You’re telling him he should, what? Just—just kill us off like we’re nothing, discard us like used tissues after we stop being convenient. So I’m nothing, then?”
“You know that’s not what I meant.” The doctor exhales. “Ghost…”
“Sid,” he corrects angrily, then lets out a dry laugh. “You know, it’s funny…nobody cared about Zee, when he was alone, miserable, when he used to walk the playground wishing someone would mutter some nasty remark just so he wouldn’t feel so alone. Nobody cared when the ******** trees were his only friends. Nobody lent a helping hand when he would cry himself to sleep, wishing he was dead. Nobody cared about about Zee until they decided he was effed up, and that people could make themselves feel better by piecing him back together. Nobody but us, okay? We were there. And okay, maybe I’m not like Ghost, maybe I wasn’t perfect, but I was there. I—“ Sid suddenly breaks off eye contact, his voice taking on a thin, froggy tone. “It’s not fair. Suddenly, you people start appearing, and I don't matter anymore. I don’t deserve to die, do I, doctor? Do I? I helped him. How can you just…”
“Zee, —“
“—What? So now I’m not worth talking to? Am I not even a person anymore. God, you think you’re so much better than me, don’t you, you sick ********. You’re just like all the rest of them, you know that? You think you’re helping Zee? You’re a murderer.”
“I don’t—“ an exasperated sigh. ”Sid, I need to talk to Zee,” the doctor asks.
“Doctor.” The boy’s voice suddenly evens out.
“Ghost,” the doctor greets blandly. “I need to talk to Zee for a moment.”
“He could get rid of just me,” Ghost winces slightly, then forges on. “Let him keep Sid and Damon. He needs them. Please.”
The doctor’s voice softens.“Ghost. I know you want what’s best for him. Please, just let me talk to Zee for a second.”
“You’ll hurt us—him.”
“You’ve done the best you can to help him. I know that, I do, Ghost. But do you think he’s happy like this? If you want what’s best for him…” the doctor trails off, pulling back into his chair slightly. “We’ve gone over this before. There’s nothing else I can say. I just…who are you really protecting now, Ghost? Him…or you?”
It is very quiet. The soft sound of breathing seems like a roar in Ghost’s ears. And then they are no longer Ghost’s ears.
“It will go back to the way it used to be,” the boy’s voice sounds distant, hollow now. “Zee’ll be alone, and we’ll be…”
The doctor waits for a moment. The silence stretches across the room like a heavy woolen blanket. “You wanna know something, Sid? I’m not much of a religious man. Never was much of a believer in God, or gods. And in a way, it’s sad…there’s no heaven, or nirvana, or some such thing waiting for me when I die. I won’t ever get to see the people I love again, not the ones who have already died, nor the ones that will outlive me. But I will live on in the hearts of those I leave behind. And in our memories, in our hearts we will never be separated. No matter what happens, nothing can change that. Do you understand? He'll always have you, just not always like...this."
“He’s not strong enough.”
“Maybe.”
“He will be alone.”
“Maybe.”
Sid’s voice rises, “Then how do you expect me to leave him?”
“Because it’s your time to go. There’s never a good time. You can’t be afraid to let go, or he’ll be afraid he can’t do it on his own. You just have to push him out of the nest and believe he’ll fly.”
“That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.”
The doctor waits, then adds quietly, “Yes, Sid. But I’d rather live in a world like that—a world filled with hope, if sometimes blind.”
Sid mumbles to himself, eyebrows drawing together.
“What’s that, Sid?” the doctor asks.
“Nothing.” And Sid pushes Zee out of the nest, eyebrows unfurrowing, and is gone.
“Zee?” the doctor calls to the boy in front of him, after a slight pause. The boy’s head shoots up, eyes catching the older man’s. “Or is it Damon?”
“No, it’s Zee.” Zee clears his throat. “Damon’s…scared.”
“Does he want to…talk about it?” the doctor suggests awkwardly.
“Not really,” Zee answers slowly. “He just…you know how he is. He thinks if he just hides, maybe…You know.”
“Oh.”
There is a knock on the door, soft but insistent.
“That must be my next appointment. We’ll have to work on Damon next week,” the doctor informs him reluctantly, like a child having a toy taken away. “You’ll tell me if Sid or Ghost returns, yes?” Zee nods.
It is very quiet, in his head. Different than before. It feels less like Sid and Ghost are just hiding, more like…more like he’s just alone. The only sound now is soft crying. Was it the doctor? Did something the old man say finally have an effect, or did Zee just tire of being treated like a lab rat and change himself? Zee doesn’t know, nor does he know whether he feels concerned…or bored.
His head feels so light right now it’s almost like he’s dead.
There’s only Damon now. Soon, there might not even be him. Only Zee. He feels numb.

Distinct Seeker

9,500 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Quote:
Zee - The host, the poor tortured mind that split into these personalities.
Damon - His playful friend, a bit childish.
Sid - His angry and miserable side.
Ghost - His shield and protector.

Saving Souls

It was a simple day for everyone around me. I was just walking down the sidewalk and people I knew said hello to me. I would seem like an ordinary person if it weren't for my different personalities. "Hello Sarah! Want to go get some ice-cream." It was Damon talking through me. He was always so happy and playful. "I'm sorry, I forgot I had something to do. Maybe some other time." I said, covering up the invite. Sarah was my stepmother, she was nice to me actually. I was born into a family who abused me and used me like a tool. They abandoned me a month ago and two people who were clearly in love took me in. I couldn't loose the scar'd memories on my brain and so my inner souls stayed. Its weird, having to share yourself with others, but it helps; I'm not lonely.
After the brief talk with a group of people, I walked away, "They need a breath mint. I thought was about to die." I frowned as Sid just had to same something about the smell but it wasn't like he was wrong. I blindly walked into the sheet while Damon was talking about going home and playing some video games. "What out!" I heard Ghost yell this time. I turned just in time to see a truck hit me.
The last thing I remember was that, the next time I opened my eyes I saw nothing but fields of blood. I was sinking fast. Screaming for help but my voice was caught. My head was engulfed in the red goo. A hand reached out and pulled me to my feet. I was in a graveyard. The ground was white, cracked and tree-less. I looked around, taking steps before getting scared of the overwhelming silence.
"Zeeee..." I heard a long drawn out moan, I caught a glimpse of fog from the corner of my eyes. "Zee.. Are you okay?" There it was again, but this time in front of me. I blinked, almost like I was blind. A figure merged together. He was a simple looking boy, shaggy grayish white hair that was wild and spiritual blue eyes that went well with his pale skin that looked cold if you touched it. "Where am I?" I looked around, There was no sun here. No light I could warm myself in. "Your ***** ****."
What? I couldn't hear was he said. "Gho-" I was trying to say something before I was tackled to the ground. "What the hell is wrong with you! You don't know how to watch where your walking or what?!" It was Sid, a boy with dirty blonde hair with fiery red highlights. "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention." He grabbed my shirt and yanked me up to his face. "You got some nerve." "Get off of him Sid." Ghost said, growing impatient. Sid snarled at him, then dropped me. Ghost helped me to my feet.
I looked between them, Sid started at me with his Orange eyes that had hints of burnt brown in them. "Am I dreaming?" A laugh rose from the blonde haired boy and Ghost just watched him in silence. "No.. no you're just inside an ***** ****." I looked down at the ground then up at the two. Nodding like I've actually heard them. While the two were starting to talking I walked passed and left them behind. Moments later the fog I've seem before covered my vision and it disable and I stood to the side of a lava pit with a lake right next to it.
"Hello...Hello....hello..." My voice echoed in the distance. Sid was sitting next to the lava and the lake, holding his legs. I walked over to him, reaching out to put my hand on his. "Leave me alone. Just go." He seemed depressed, different from before. I wanted to help him so badly. I sat down next to him, tilting my head to the side while I watched him. The place was once again silent and I could hear our breaths become in sync. "Sid, Why don't we go together?" I suddenly asked after giving some thought to what I should do. He lifted his head and looked at me. "Do I look like I want to go with you?" There it was, the rude angry side of him.
I got up though, and held out my hand. He hesitates before grabbing onto it. He yanked me down while he pulled himself up. Walking over to the lava pit. "SID!!" I yelled, jumping up and ran toward him was he fell into the pit, I watched as his body melted away. I tried to jump in after him, but Ghost knocked me over. I laid on the ground, starting up at the endless black sky.
"Come on Zee, lets play a game!"A familiar cheerful voice rang in my ears. I sat up to look at Damon, who was kicking a ball with his feet. He had shoulder length pure blonde hair and blue eyes that could change to sky blue if struck by light. "Earth to Zee. Hello?" He was now staring at my face, waving his hand. I pushed it down. "Sorry, I was just thinking." I got up and looked around. The lava pit was covered up in rock. Damon kicked the ball off into the distance where it couldn't be seen.
I ran after it, doing into a black cave and popped up in an open field of grass. Ghost held the ball in his hands. "Oh you got it. More people to play with!" Damon came up to us, jumping with joy. "Its not safe..." Ghost protested and I took the ball from him. "Lets just have fun. It would hurt us." I kicked the ball to Damon and started to run. I tripped over a rock, the fall was peaceful, but I started to get scared as I neared the ground. Sticking my arms out I pushed myself off the ground and did a cartwheel.
Damon cheered me on and kicked the ball to Ghost. I noticed that Ghost wasn't getting ready, I jetted towards him and kicked the ball back. He was shocked by this and looked down at me. "What?" I asked and he just smiled and walked away. I watched him then saw him drop down into the earth. I walked to the spot where he was last and down at the cliff. "Come back Ghost!" I dropped to my knees, reaching down into the black hole. I was suddenly pulled in by the darkness.
When I opened my eyes, I couldn't see anything so I pushed them open more. I thought if my eyes were more open I could evolve into a higher species and become cat like. It didn't really work so well. After a minute I notice that Damon was sitting in front of me. A light flicker on and I was back in my room, siting on my bed. "Its time to wake up Zee." He said, standing up and held his hand. "I'll be right here so wake up." I stared up at him, "But what about others?" He shook his head and closed my eyes. I was clouded in darkness once more.
I felt my breath returned and I woke up in a white bed in a hospital. My step-parents were asleep in chairs to my left, both of them were holding hands while my mother used my father's shoulder. I felt something tighten around my hand. "Welcome back Buddy. Lets go get some ice cream later." I looked over to see Damon holding my hand with a big smile. I started at him and gave a small smile back. "Than after that lets go home and play video games together." I said, shedding one tear I held back. I was finally happy. What was even more special was that I had Demon right next to me to share my soul with. My true friend.
Shared Soul

The End

Bashful Raider

Notes: You have a very interesting set of characters! Been in a writing rut and they were very fun to play with! Not sure if this is what you were looking for but it was fun either way, so thank you for the opportunity!

Finding Normalcy

“I’m having, um… girl troubles.”

“Oh?”

The pen’s scratches against the pad were more real than that smile. Everything here was fake, sterile, an illusion meant to calm and invite him while they hacked at his brain, sliced it open and pulled out all the things inside that made him him. But the writing, her wrist flicking about, the paper filling up until it flowed over with his disease – that was real.

Some part of him wished he could see it. Ghost had always been overprotective like that.

“Why don’t you tell me about that, Zee?”

A giggle bubbled out of his throat, his smile turning a little silly, and sweet Jesus he wished the chair would swallow him whole. “She’s real pretty but anytime I wanna tell her, Zee just goes off and locks himself in a bathroom! Or worse – Sid gets involved and starts cursing out all the parts of us that are awesome and calling us names and huffing as if it’s all bad and awful and blah blah blah – you know how he can be, Doc.”

“I do,” she said, bowing her head in acknowledgement.

“And you know Zee’s never gonna get laid if I don’t play a good wingman.”

He was going to start hyperventilating soon. Not real. They weren’t real. They weren’t him. He could have control. Control

“Maybe he doesn’t want to get laid,” he murmured to himself, more level now. Calmer. Ghost always battled for dominance when his heart rate spiked and his palms became sweaty. It was always Sid he was trying to push down when he came up.

Scritch-scratch, went the pen. Focused. Real.

“Have you been taking your medication, Zee?”

He’d been staring at his fingernails, fiddling with the edge of his sleeves, trying hard not to draw his knees up to him and cradle them to his chest. “Yeah,” he whispered, himself for a small while. “A-and Ghost has, too. And Sid.” Ghost hated the thought of leaving him alone, but he knew (they all did) what awful things this was doing to him. He’d always been the bravest, the most willing to sacrifice and protect.

Sid was rebelling, but Zee didn’t need his excuse to be a good one. Always angry and miserable, always putting the blade to the edge of his skin, testing, fighting with Ghost, with Zee sometimes too, desperate for a way to escape Zee’s body. If he could bleed himself out, maybe. Just escape somehow, be free

The pills had stopped his attempts at that sort of freedom, at least. He wanted to end his existence quietly.

But Damon… Zee couldn’t trust Damon to take the pills when he was out and about and loving the world. And seeing the world from Damon’s eyes was always the best, always gave him the most hope – his best friend was so bubbly, so sincere, so happy, that Zee never fought for control when he was there. To finally see the world like someone normal might… He wouldn’t give that up for anything.

Sid didn’t care enough to pay attention, and Zee liked to think that even Ghost enjoyed the world in the brighter colours Damon painted it.

“Your right hand… can you lift it for me?”

“Stupid ******** exercises,” Sid breathed out with his lungs. Zee’s cheeks flared red at his language, but he lifted the hand obediently to make up for his foul words.

“Thank you. Can you touch your lips with it?”

“Of course we can put – I cannot believe someone gave you a ******** diploma.” Zee shut his eyes tight as if it might shield him from Sid’s angry outbursts, letting his fingers come to his lips, picking at the dry skin there as Ghost flared up within him, shoving at another self, trying to push him down for Zee’s own sake and only make him hurt all the more.

“Even with Sid speaking… You can do that. You can move your body, Zee. You. You’ve already come a long way from when we first started meeting…”

“I don’t want Damon to take his pills,” his mouth said, but Zee wasn’t even sure whose words they were.

The pad of paper was hidden from him, but she flipped the page over, needing a new one. So many problems and notes and oddities that she needed hundreds of notebooks to try and fill them properly with his infection of the mind.

“He doesn’t have to take them, Zee.” It wasn’t the woman speaking, but his most loyal companion, the one who’d always looked out for him the most. Ghost. “You can do it for him.”

He shook his head, the world becoming loud, four sets of senses taking it in. They were all too close to surface, all wanting access to his brain at the same time, wanting his thoughts and memories and one at a time was fine, he could deal with, but now his head was throbbing and it was too small to hold them and he clutched at his ears, desperate to mute it, block out the noise, the please and the help yourself and I’m your best friend and the [******** you all and how could murder be illegal for everyone but the only people in this world he trusted?

They ended the session early, a sedative for the road added to his diet.

The pills made it harder to tell who was there sometimes, when the world was quiet and dark. He felt numb and empty, alone in ways he’d always been, physically, but had never dealt with on the inside. There were no reassuring thoughts from Ghost, no twitching and clutching at skin from Sid, and no lame jokes from Damon. Quiet.

It was almost too much to bear.

The mirror had always been a good trick, so he pulled himself out of bed in the dead of night and made his way to the bathroom.

The world through Sid’s eyes was dark and angry. Some lines were blurred, but edges were sharp and crisp, all things bad were noticeable in a way that made his blood hot and breathing quick, lips set in a snarl and ready to lash out. Ghost’s world was much more reassuring. He would see the same dangers, the same awful things, but there would be calm assurance, protective stance, a promise that he wouldn’t let any of it hurt his host.

But now it was neither of them that looked back at him from the small mirror. There was a smile, silly and expectant, and wide eyes. It was always nicest to take a passenger seat in Damon’s world. It was brighter, blurred, more naïve but all the happier for it. His best friend had faults, sure, but he made up for them with a crooked, charming grin, and a promise for a wicked amount of fun.

“You’re my best friend, too,” Damon said to the mirror.

The psychiatrist was right. Zee was able to move his hands, his fingers, flex them even though it was Damon’s eyes looking back at him in the reflection.

“Maybe we’ll finally talk to that girl again tomorrow, huh? Maybe you’ll even get a kiss. Bet you could do it. Like I said – I’m an awesome wingman.”

The smile was small, uncertain – Zee’s – and he uncapped the pill bottle at the edge of the counter. All movements were his own, and with a nod from the face in the mirror, he dumped the contents into the sink and watched the pills go down the drain.

Lunatic

holmium42

I'll admit your story was frightening accurate to the earlier stages of my MPD and I really enjoyed reading it. I'm not sure if you've read the edit on first post today but it means you're one of the winners.

Lunatic

xMaskedShipper
I really enjoyed your story the ending was fantastic. Send me a trade and when I'm on my computer next I'll give you 1b

Bashful Raider

Zee Senpai

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I Pm'd it to you, I hope you don't mind,

Lunatic

Toxic Cakes

I didn't get a message o:
Zee Senpai
Toxic Cakes

Really? Oh my.... I may have to start over ._.

Lunatic

Toxic Cakes
Zee Senpai
Toxic Cakes

I'm sorry > <
Zee Senpai
Toxic Cakes
Zee Senpai
Toxic Cakes

I'm sorry > <

no worries, it wasn't your fault c:

Dang. Time slips away fast. I may just write something for the heck of it; I like to concept a lot.

Lunatic

[.Impartial.Sanity.]

Dang. Time slips away fast. I may just write something for the heck of it; I like to concept a lot.

I'm going to renew the contest to get more stories. This one will end on the 15th

Lunatic

Contest part 2 - ends 15/8/2014

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas