Welcome to Gaia! ::

BLUEBUS PRESENTS: A DIALOGUE CONTEST

As an amatuer screenwriter, I know firsthand that there's an art to writing a good piece of talkin'. The interpersonal exchange between characters - be it a long-winded speech or a lightening-fast barrage of witty comebacks - is the cornerstone of an effective story. It has to be believable, snappy, poignant, and interesting all at the same time. Not an easy feat.

So, my challenge to you is this: write me a crackin' good piece of dialogue!

THE FEE:
None! It's free! Don't you feel special?

THE SET-UP
You can have any kind of dialogue: funny, sad, scary, philosophical, informative, socially- or politically-oriented, whatever. It can be spoken by any sort of character: ninjas, knights, futuristic soldiers....whatever! Anything goes; only the quality of the dialogue is important.

I'll be grading based on the following:
1. Does it flow well? How easily can I imagine real people talking this way?
2. Is it witty and engaging?
3. How well does it illuminate the personalities and lives of the characters doing the talking?

Since the focus of the contest will obviously be dialogue, your entry doesn't necessarily need to feel like a complete story. Rising/falling action, a solid plot, backstory for the characters...none of that is necessary. Quite the opposite - too much of those things is discouraged since I'll be focused almost entirely on the quality of the entry's dialogue. You could write a long, beautiful, flowing piece of fiction...but if I don't like the way the characters talk and you rely too much on exposition to say what needs to be said, your odds of winning aren't too great.

THE RULES
Post -AND- PM your entry! This helps me stay organized.

Follow the rules passed down by our Hallowed Gaian Overlords. Me, I don't have too much of a problem with profanity and sexual content provided it all follows the afformentioned rules.

THE PRIZES
FIRST PLACE: 2k
HONORARY MENTIONS: 1000g

Honorary Mentions will be awarded to any entry that strikes me as being particularly awesome. There will almost certainly be two or more.

THE BEGINNING AND END
Begins: NOW.
Ends: When I have 10 entries.

There you go, troops. Any questions? If not...get to it!

WINNER
YVET - 2000g

RUNNER(S)-UP
Festival in a Hat - 1000

ENTRANTS:
1. Madara_Phile
2. Blitzkrieg_Bop
3. xox_lizziegal_xox
4. ~Chibi_Noodle_Kun~
5. Festival in a Hat
6. Chosen of Fate
7. Yvet
8. Hitomi~Yuki
9. Scribbling Scribe
10. Ellyrianna
11. Oterys
Well this doesn't sound familiar at all...

HA!!!!!! FIRST POST!!!!!!!!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Second post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mahayr
Second post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which isn't half as cool as THIRD POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or first post for the matter.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Technically yours was second and mine was third and now FIFTH wich is the best yet! Except for third.
Mahayr
Technically yours was second and mine was third and now FIFTH wich is the best yet! Except for third.

Except for SIXTH which is my unlucky number but keeps spiting me and doing nice things.

Stupid number six. It cheats.
oh sweet i LOVE writing dialogue! my stories always seem to degenerate into it...
except now i have to write mine fast or the 10 spaces will be gone sad

nice to see you again!
Count me in, unless in the time it takes to write this post ten people have already claimed the last spots.
I'm in! ^_^ Oh hey, should it be narrative dialouge like... "dsdksada" said jdasdksad. Or like a screenplay? (Name : Stuff)
UnwantedWisdom
I'm in! ^_^ Oh hey, should it be narrative dialouge like... "dsdksada" said jdasdksad. Or like a screenplay? (Name : Stuff)

You know, I actually considered discussing this in the first post but didnt because I figured so few people would opt for the script-type format. But if that's how you roll, you're more then welcome to write it that way. 3nodding

@ everyone else: 10 spaces won't fill up nearly as fast as you think it will. Trust me on that. If it really becomes a problem, maybe I'll increase that number at a later date.
May I join?

6,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'm very tempted to enter... hmm.

*subscribes*
Kyltie
May I join?

Of course you can!
BlueBus
UnwantedWisdom

You know, I actually considered discussing this in the first post but didnt because I figured so few people would opt for the script-type format. But if that's how you roll, you're more then welcome to write it that way. 3nodding

@ everyone else: 10 spaces won't fill up nearly as fast as you think it will. Trust me on that. If it really becomes a problem, maybe I'll increase that number at a later date.

All right, shweet... now to think of something... sweatdrop
Bluebus! Another contest! YES! **glomps him**

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas