Welcome to Gaia! ::

i look for the meaning of the story and the development of the caracters.
Quote:
Quote:

As for me, I try to separate my "writer" side from my "reader" side, if that makes sense. When I'm reading, I just want to sit back and enjoy the story. smile

I think many writers do that, it's just less on the poor brain. If your like me, to much jumbled information makes my head spin. Your trying to look at one thing from two views at the same time, it takes away from the story.
I don't really like romance novel's either but sometimes in my story a little romance kind of just gets put in, not on purpose though. But I don't really like it.
I look for good development of all the characters. Also, the fine details matter to me too. I like reading about how the author describes his/her feelings about the plot, or just about objects in general. I like a little bit of humor in books too, not too drab and dreary.
and I love surprises. I hate the way some books are predictable. When something unexpected happens, it perks my interest and makes me question the authors thinking.
And last, but not least, I dont like to analyze the book to death. I like to think about these other things as an afterthought.
Mostly characters, though I care about writing style a great deal, too (if it's too flowery or difficult to wade through, or the sound of it is totally off, it's hard for me to enjoy a book). Of course, plot matters a great deal, as well, as do other important storytelling matters, but I think character is what matters the most to me. If the characters are great, I can forgive a few plot holes or writing inconsistencies (as long as they aren't too bad), but if the characters are flat or irritating, I'm going to put down a book quickly, no matter how well-written or well-plotted it is.

Gracious Citizen

I'm all about character. But I can't stand strictly character-based things. "Invisible Man" for instance. Blech! But good, deep, meaningful characters thrown into an innovative and action-oriented plot--THAT's the world. Like the book "Doing It". Amazing book. Read it! (Speaking of sex scenes...) It's by Melvin Burgess (hope I spelled that right).
I love stuff with deep plots that you have trouble not getting imersed into. I want want strong characters that can make it on their own, but aren't emotionally empty. I need somethign with a little flare that can make some of teh most mundane things interesting...
Zacharra
A zombie. Or a pirate. Or a pirate-zombie.

Whoot, huzzuh for pirates! whee

But, yeah. When looking for a good read, there isn't really anything in particular I look for, I just read the first few sentences. If I get hooked, I'll read it. If not, I might scan over the next little bit, and if something interesting is ahead, I'll keep going... a little way farther, anyway.

I usually stick to fantasy, and I tend to be attracted to things like mythical creatures/beasts/whatnot... (Especially those that are specially invented by the author!) ...but not as the main focal point of the story, that's less fun. sweatdrop
Quote:
I'm just wondering about something:

When you read something (I.E. a novel) from the standpoint of being a writer yourself, what are some things you look for in a book? In general, I'm talking about plot, character development, realism of setting, writing style, etc. Is there something that really makes a book great that you could point out and say, "I'd like this to be in whatever I read and/or write"?

Personally, I look for a well-rounded book. I dispise character-driven plots and those that lack good writing style. I also enjoy a rich plot, preferably a unique one. However, a plot that is redone in a UNIQUE WAY is also quite apealing.

Excessive description and wordplay and lots of music. Thusly, Tolkien rocks.

IT's nice being able to zone out at will and be in your own little booky world, feeling in the story on occasion, instead of watching it from above.
im lokoing for something good

simple.

funny

bad grammar.

bad gramamr kicks a**

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items