Welcome to Gaia! ::

Everything I could have said, has been said. BUT, one thing I always like to point out is that, yes, you may have a story similar to 'Harry Potter' or 'Lord of the Rings', but if you add your own personal flare and twists, it should turn out to seem completely different. Sure, the base story may be the same, but characters and encounters will may it different in the long run.

...Or something like that. sweatdrop
You keep writing it happens all the time.
not to mention sabriel...
j.k rowling has been vaguely and unthreateningly accused of using the same story as diana wynne jones. *shrugs* doesn't seem to be a big deal.
write it anyway. it'll be good practice and you'll enjoy it.
As long as it's not too painfully obvious, y'know a story about a short guy named Shmodo taking an evil earring to Mount Gloom might be a bit too similar, but hey that's just me. On the other hand, a story about a cast of your own kooky characters going on a quest to destroy something, while similar could have many unique twists and turns to be a really great and unique story. It's up to you really. You could make it as similar or as different as you want. 3nodding

I like the word similar. Similar. blaugh
I continue writing because I don't really expect my work to be read by anyone else
I've experienced this kind of thing myself... In my story, a girl has been recruited to her abusive father's company to help defend New NewYork from crime.

It sounds a whole lot like the beginning of Evangelion, and even the dialogue I made sounded a lot like it. But at the time, I hadn't seen Evangelion in a few years. I wondered if it had slipped subconciously from my memory, or if it was just a coincidence?? I'll keep on writing, though. heart
The more you analyze something, the easier it is to find details that could be considered like another piece of writing. There are so many written works in the world that if you look long enough you can probably find several pieces of literature that are alot like your own. It just depends on whether the influence is subconsious or merely coincedental. If you find that a piece of your writing is to much like another you can always change it, but unless its a direct copy it probably won't matter.
if that happens to me, i write it, but dont post it till you are finished..and if it stays really close to the existing story, then ask the arthor if they are fine with it..thats what i have done atleast

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff