Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Fatcat

I am currently working on writing a story that may contain some, taboo themes. I'm not sure whether to travel down such a path, but I figured that I would try something different.

Essentially, after studying Greek Theatre (of the Ancient variety) in my drama class, many...surprising themes arose and caught my attention. I don't want my story to be the cliché: girl meets perfect boy. They fall in love. He has some dark secret or turns out to be a vampire. Trouble comes up. She either joins him or leaves him. I want it to be different, slightly twisted and mental.

Should I, or should I stick to something milder?

Anxious Citizen

Write what you want.

If you want to break "taboos", go ahead and break them. Push your boundaries, if you want. You don't have to stick to "milder" themes, but you can if you want to. Write what you want.
i am book worm
I am currently working on writing a story that may contain some, taboo themes. I'm not sure whether to travel down such a path, but I figured that I would try something different.

Essentially, after studying Greek Theatre (of the Ancient variety) in my drama class, many...surprising themes arose and caught my attention. I don't want my story to be the cliché: girl meets perfect boy. They fall in love. He has some dark secret or turns out to be a vampire. Trouble comes up. She either joins him or leaves him. I want it to be different, slightly twisted and mental.

Go for it, you get nowhere being normal. Vladimir Nabokov wrote a story in the perspective of a ***** which is very twisted (Lolita)

Shy Fatcat

crescent_moon065
i am book worm

Go for it, you get nowhere being normal. Vladimir Nabokov wrote a story in the perspective of a ***** which is very twisted (Lolita)

That actually sounds very interesting. I'd love to read that book.

Well, thank-you for your advice. smile
i am book worm
crescent_moon065
i am book worm

That actually sounds very interesting. I'd love to read that book.

Well, thank-you for your advice. smile

Of course! Keep reading and writing smile .

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Taboo themes are things like 'kill all disabled people because they're slow' or 'why you shouldn't feel remorse for violence against someone whose looks you don't like' in all seriousness.

In this day and age, aiding and abetting the murder of a thief and politician in order to try and save billions of lives is a been-there-done-that plot.
It's tough to find a new taboo these days, but writing it from an unsuspected perspective might be very refreshing. (Like when Capote wrote from the perspective of a murderer.)

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
Per Noctem
Write what you want.

If you want to break "taboos", go ahead and break them. Push your boundaries, if you want. You don't have to stick to "milder" themes, but you can if you want to. Write what you want.

This. Write what you want, write what you feel what works.

I also want to add that "taboo" depends on where you live, and who the book is written for. Writing a children's book featuring a gay character can be taboo in the USA, particularly in certain areas, but writing a gay character for a novel aimed at teens or adults wouldn't really be controversial. And even if you do write a topic that's "taboo", it probably won't be that big a deal. There are lots of books that deal with "taboo" material, even in their audience, but nobody really cares. Unless something happens that drags a lot, and I mean a LOT, of attention to your book, nobody will care.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
What's the taboo part?

Shy Fatcat

Lazarus Larkin
What's the taboo part?

Incest.

Newbie Noob

4,250 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
i am book worm
Lazarus Larkin
What's the taboo part?

Incest.

That's been done; look at game of thrones. So go for it. You'll be fine.

Nuclear Werewolf

Darth Whovian
i am book worm
Incest.
Comes up a lot in Heinlein, too, as a positive (?) thing. Also occurs in the Bible as a less positive thing.

I'd be surprised if someone writes anything that legitimately shocks Your General Audience anymore. Society in general seems to be fairly jaded.

Shy Fatcat

Alberic of Krufton
Darth Whovian
i am book worm
Incest.
Comes up a lot in Heinlein, too, as a positive (?) thing. Also occurs in the Bible as a less positive thing.

I'd be surprised if someone writes anything that legitimately shocks Your General Audience anymore. Society in general seems to be fairly jaded.

So in other words, I shouldn't be concerned?

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Flowers in the Attic is what comes to mind when I hear the word "incest". And I never even read that one, haha.

But yeah, it's not exactly a new topic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces