Welcome to Gaia! ::

Squama's Compadre

Leaf

I just write the story, take a few months break, watching some movies, reading comics or manga, anime, television shows, books - and I analyze it all. I try to break it apart. I run through TVtropes like it's a goddamn supercenter for writer ideas and pick as much as I can apart through a stack of tabs lining the top of the internet page.

Writing style wise, I like flow. I mean, I really like flow. I like reading through a book as if I'm listening to the character's voice in my ear. I want to have some kind of book that has a flow so nice that I can glance up from the page and be surprised that:

A - Three hours have passed since I started it

B - I'm halfway through the book

and

C - the descriptions allow me to feel as if I can thoroughly imagine it all in my head.

If you feel that your writing style is bland, get some people to bounce ideas off of. Edit it to the point of no return and cross out any kind of awkward phrasing or grammar. Read it aloud, to yourself and to others. Take observation of other author's writing and see what makes them individual; what makes them stand out; what makes them become what people call a 'classic'.

Then take some steps back, breathe, and plow into your own writing again.

Dapper Genius

6,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trader 100
  • Hygienic 200
The Great Confuser
A bad day of writing is thinking "This is horrible" and doing nothing. A good day of writing is thinking "This is horrible" and writing anyway.

CAN I QUOTE THIS? i've needed a new signature for a while.

Quotable Streaker

Elder Brother
The Great Confuser
A bad day of writing is thinking "This is horrible" and doing nothing. A good day of writing is thinking "This is horrible" and writing anyway.

CAN I QUOTE THIS? i've needed a new signature for a while.

Sure, why not? lol
Not knowing your writing style or actual methods used to get to where you want to go...........perhaps you are over thinking the whole thing? I've met numerous writers over the years who have had great ideas and the skills to convey them, BUT what they ended up doing was unitentionally squeezing the life out of their stories. Because they over thought and over processed instead of just letting it happen organically.

If you think of your story as a nice fat, happy, helium filled balloon......it's something that has the means to be what it was intended to be. But if you hold it down and squeeze it too hard because you're worried it's not a great balloon, eventually you end up with a pretty much wasted lump of latex that never got to reach it's full potential.

There! That's my deep abstract thought for the day. And now I have a headache! blaugh

Gash

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces