Welcome to Gaia! ::

Scientists have found that the actual cause of the girls odd behavior was due to a bread mold known as ergot fungus, scientific name of Claviceps purpurea. This caused convulsive ergotism.
There are a lot of books written on the subject, but I can't recall any websites on it.
Denethir
goatcreature__MAGNUM
surprised do a google search!

xp ARTHUR MILLER ROCKS!!!!

Arthur Miller wrote Death of a Salesman. Hence he should have (is the guy still alive eek ) died in a horrific acident involving an Anteater.

I have to hate that book as I studied it last year scream

Though The cruicble would be a good start to read.

he died in 1982
Naamah
Scientists have found that the actual cause of the girls odd behavior was due to a bread mold known as ergot fungus, scientific name of Claviceps purpurea. This caused convulsive ergotism.

I remember reading something about that too (or it was on the Discovery Channel).
Ardraka
Naamah

I remember reading something about that too (or it was on the Discovery Channel).

It could have been...but we're learning about fungus in bio, and that was one of the 'extra interesting facts' about ascomycetes.
Thank you everybody! blaugh
Naamah
Ardraka
Naamah

It could have been...but we're learning about fungus in bio, and that was one of the 'extra interesting facts' about ascomycetes.

Actually, that's just a theory, hasn't been proved.
i love reading about the salem witch trials. they are very interesting. your best bet is the computer or the library(sp) personally i like the library. no one can bug you there. good luck on your search!
Ja Garo
The library might be the best place, as I don't know any sites either. But you should definitely look into going to Salem yourself! When I was there it was beautiful out, and--even though our maps were five years old and therefore useless--the trip was blast! There are a lot of places to go and you learn a ton about the Salem witch trials! I feel especially bad for the guy who was crushed by a rock.... how does squishing someone under a rock make them want to admit they're a witch... I mean, what'll they do if they know for sure that you're a witch? whee sweatdrop

Well, people thought differently about about the concept of the flesh and the soul back then. Our society today tends to veiw the flesh and the soul as separate, that pampering the flesh will not weaken the soul to succumbing to evil, but back then that's exactly what they belived. Hence, the reverse was also true. They didn't crush people under rocks or hang them or burn them or torture them because it seemed the best way to go about matters, they did it because they were honestly trying to save people. If an innocent man died crushed by rocks, well better that his flesh die and he move on, than allow him to continue his sinful ways and end up in hell when he does die, you know? To their way of thinking, confession to beling a witch was the first step towards redeeming your soul, which was far more important than an insignificant matter like torture or death. Plus, the torture itself was seen as cleansing. People whose spirits were strong and pure would withstand it, supported by God, whereas those who were weak and corrupted by the Devil would break and confess their sins.

To our way of thinking today, the concept of torture to get someone to confess makes no sesne because, of course someone will confess to being a witch if it will get you to stop half-drowning them or cutting them or stretching them, or whatever you're doing. However, esspecially if you're planning on writing a book about it, it's very important to keep in mind that they veiwed the world very differently than we do today.

Now, that's not to say that there weren't a lot of people who took full atvantage of the hysteria to get rid of "unwanteds" and/or to claim money and property from women. If you know, one of the things they believed was that if a woman made a pact with the Devil and became a witch, there would be a spot on her body that, if pricked, would not bleed, (this was often to be found in the more intimate areas of a woman's body, surprise surprise, and you can bet plenty of the "investigators" took full advantage of that, and the fact that all witches were supposedly licentious) and many "witch hunters" specifically carried a needle with them that they could collapse into the case (think little kids pretending to give each other shots with mechanical pencils) so that to anybody else, it would look like they were pricking this woman with a needle and she wasn't bleeding. If you think you can stomach it, the Maleus Maleficarum of "Hammer of Witchcraft" was the guide on exactly how to go about torturing the suspected witches properly. I haven't read it yet as I'm not sure I could read something like that, but someday, I'll try. Assuredly, not all at once, and I don't think I could stomach owning and having a book like that in my personal library, so only if I can find a copy to rent or borrow.
goatcreature__MAGNUM
surprised do a google search!

xp ARTHUR MILLER ROCKS!!!!

No he doesn't! The Crucible's ending sucked. O_o Something seemed to be...missing.
Salem Witchcraft Trials.... Salem Witchcraft Trials... ::falls over:: Yeah. Last year I did a History Day project on them. Think Science Fair, only with a lot more research and there isn't an experiment. Anyway, if there's a university/college near where you live with a good library, they probably have books on the 'Trials. I live way away from Salem, and I found a lot of books with theories, transcripts, etc.. The trick is finding the primary sources, which pretty much all there is, is transcripts of the trials. Some of them are freaky... like the fact that there was a five-year-old tried. She went insane in jail. Oh, and this really old ancient woman, eight-five I think (people didn't live as long in those days). I believe she was hanged, although it's been a while. Some secondary sources would have bits and pieces of transcripts that pertain to the material that they're talking about. Other than that, I can't help you much.
Salem Witchcraft Trials.... Salem Witchcraft Trials... ::falls over:: Yeah. Last year I did a History Day project on them. Think Science Fair, only with a lot more research and there isn't an experiment. Anyway, if there's a university/college near where you live with a good library, they probably have books on the 'Trials. I live way away from Salem, and I found a lot of books with theories, transcripts, etc.. The trick is finding the primary sources, which pretty much all there is, is transcripts of the trials. Some of them are freaky... like the fact that there was a five-year-old tried. She went insane in jail. Oh, and this really old ancient woman, eight-five I think (people didn't live as long in those days). I believe she was hanged, although it's been a while. Some secondary sources would have bits and pieces of transcripts that pertain to the material that they're talking about. Other than that, I can't help you much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff