Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Lunatic

My book features:
Superheroes
Knights
Mechas (mobile suits)
Other planets

And some CBer said it sounds like (forgot the title.) I don't even know what that is! He doesn't even know what it's about! Even if the themes I use are similar to a story that already exists doesn't mean they'll be the same story-wise.

Seriously. But now I'm afraid. What if it ends up being the same?

I love paramedics, firefighters, and (good) cops. So I have characters that do that, too.
Lisa Is I
My book features:
Superheroes
Knights
Mechas (mobile suits)
Other planets

And some CBer said it sounds like (forgot the title.) I don't even know what that is! He doesn't even know what it's about! Even if the themes I use are similar to a story that already exists doesn't mean they'll be the same story-wise.

I love paramedics, firefighters, and (good) cops. So I have characters that do that, too.

Chances are that it will have similarities with something else. 99.9% chance actually. You may not see them or be aware of them, but somebody will, because they are there. There is no escaping that. 100% originality is an unachievable goal. It's a fantasy touted by the disillusioned and the ego driven. Having said that.....don't worry about it. As long as you didn't "copy" , which is not the same as being "influenced by", don't sweat it. Comparisons are unavoidable.

Seriously, just look at the main features / players in your story. We are all familiar with every one of them, so how could you expect to write something about any of them that hasn't been at the very least, touched on by someone else? You can't. So don't worry about it.

Gash

Nuclear Werewolf

It's not about what you have, but how you use it. There are a million and one things that probably have the same combination of objects and plot devices, BUT, what sort of plot do you have? Who are your characters? What themes are present in the narrative? What does your style and "voice" say about you and your creation?

I'm working on a set of books that involve psychic abilities, alien worlds, a teenage human protagonist, and airships. Sounds like it could be anything, right? Yet I rest easy, because I know that my setting, my plot, my characters, and the combination thereof, are unique to myself.

So, there's no reason to fear. Heck, you might even be able to tap into the genre audience of whatever other novels or shows your own story superficially resembles.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Lots of books have magic in them. Doesn't mean they're the the same.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Ehhh, don't worry about it. There's a very low percent chance that it's gonna be exactly like what that CBer told you. :-/ Even if some of the elements are the same, which is completely normal.

Besides, what if the guy was just trolling you? o.O

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Lisa Is I
My book features:
Superheroes
Knights
Mechas (mobile suits)
Other planets

Sounds like Escaflowne (sp) in space, which sounds cool, so do it.

Fallen Allegiant

23,150 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Never Give Up 35
  • First Fall 15
I doubt it'll be exactly the same. I think you're safe on that as long as you don't watch whatever show/book it is. Sometimes watching similar things may influence your writing.
Lisa Is I

Then it'll end up being the same. The odds of that happening are pretty low, but if it is, it is. It's not a huge deal.

Hilarious Lunatic

Klaark
Lisa Is I
My book features:
Superheroes
Knights
Mechas (mobile suits)
Other planets

Escaflowne has cops, medics, & firefighters? God damn it.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Lisa Is I
Klaark
Lisa Is I
My book features:
Superheroes
Knights
Mechas (mobile suits)
Other planets

Escaflowne has cops, medics, & firefighters? God damn it.

Mostly knights and mechs. I don't recall cops, medics, or firefighters. There was a guy who fought with fire, thought.

Squama's Compadre

Leaf

Chances are some stuff that you're going to write is going to sound similair to something else. I mean, I'm writing a novel about an underground society - and the first thing that popped into my head was a fear that somebody would compare it to THE CITY OF EMBER, which is a book I haven't read before, but I kind of hope to sometime.

Whatever the case, similarities happen sometimes.

Nuclear Werewolf

Honestly, you're wasting way too much energy getting worked up over any potential similarities to different, established series when what you could be doing is writing and knocking that first draft out of the way.

If you happen to encounter media that appears rather close to what you've written, then you have a draft you can edit and tweak into a form that puts you more at ease.

And, to be even more honest, how many people are you expecting to read this theoretical story of yours? If the answer, realistically, is "not many," than no one will care if it reminds them of this or that. But even if you end up published or otherwise reach a wide audience, people will overlook coincidental plot devices so long as it's not blatantly derivative.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff