Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's been a while since I've been on gaia. Any tips the gaia community can give me? Go easy on the criticisms please. I'm fragile.

It was a cold September morning when I woke up. It was barely light but some of it was spilling through the blinds on my floor. I didn't feel like getting up but it was school so I had an obligation to. I could hear the soft hum of the heater and my walls fading off into the darkness. It was cold outside and I could feel it from my window. I was awake but my eyes were still closed so I ended up blinking myself awake. It was really quiet inside and I could hear the soft patter of rain hitting my window. I don't think my parents are awake yet so I got up and opened my door slowly so the creaking wouldn't echo throughout the house. s**t. I forgot my glasses. I went back to my nightstand and got my glasses and put them on. It was much better and I wasn't getting dizzy anymore. I went to the kitchen to fix my breakfast and then take a shower. So while I was doing that, the garbage man was outside taking everyone's trash. It's been like this for the past 7 years and it seems like it won't change much but I don't mind. It was simple and I liked it. It would be nice if something different happened. Something cool like I wasn't just some guy waking up for school in the morning but a Japanese high schooler going to school and meeting cute Japanese girls and having adventures with tits and stuff. But I'm already a senior in my high school so the idea of ever having the satisfaction of living my life out as a Japanese highschooler is something I'm not seeing down the road. One. I'd stick out like a piece of snow since I'm pale. Two. I can't speak Japanese. Three. I don't know actually. I'll think of one later. Anyway I prepared my breakfast. It wasn't too grand and it wasn't too simple. Some soup and some bread. I'm not the type to eat a lot for breakfast not because I want to be skinny and sexy (well I do) but I just don't feel like eating a lot. It's been happening a lot lately. Having apathy towards food? Holy s**t. Has anyone ever heard of such an aspect? So I sat down and started eating. It didn't take me long to finish the food so before I knew it and seriously before I actually knew it, I was already turning the knob to heat on my shower. I went to my room to look out the window while the water was heating and I saw that the sky was gray. Well it was raining so it should be. It wasn't just the sky though. Everything seemed to have a small tinged of gray to them. Trees, gray. Bushes, gray. Truck, gray. Road, gray. My gay uncle, gay. It wasn't till I saw my bus did I realize. ********. I completely forgot about my shower. So I walked back to my shower and stepped in.

It felt nice. I sat down on the shower floor and closed my eyes for a bit and let the millions of drops fall on my head. I have no idea how long I sat there but it wasn't long. I wanted to stay there as long as I needed too and it was just then I heard knocking on the door.
"Hey I just saw the bus drive by. Does that mean you're walking to school?"
"Yea I need the exercise anyway."
"Alright well I'm dropping your sisters off to school alright? Don't be late? Oh and don't forget to leave the key under the mat outside the door for your mother."
"Yea."
"Okay then have fun at school."
"Yea."
Who was that? It took me a while to realize. Oh yeah. It was my Dad. I heard the door to the garage close and I was left all by myself in the house again. I couldn't hear anything else after that except for the consistent patter of the shower on my head. I sat there for God knows how long until I finally got up and dried myself off. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought to myself. Jesus, I need make up. I went back to my room and opened my wardrobe. Was there anything here that I haven't worn yet? I shuffled through my clothes and finally took out a t-shirt. It wasn't much. It was green and had blue sleeves. But before that I did the usual teenage grooming stuff. Put on deodorant, mousse my hair, put on cologne, repeat. I put on some jeans and in a few minutes, I was already out the door.

By the time I got out the door, it wasn't raining anymore but the sidewalks were still wet. I got down the stairs and was already out on the sidewalk. The morning weather was cold and the wind was blowing a bit. I looked around and saw that the trees were preparing for Fall. Some lawns even had the leaves on them. Then I realized what I forgot, my ******** ID. I closed my eyes and thought, am I stupid? No seriously. I'm in an International Program for "advanced" students and everyday I keep forgetting my ******** ID. Whatever. I looked at my watch and saw that I had time to spare. I ran back to my house and lifted up my mat and took out the key. I opened the door and ran to my room to grab the ID and put it on. Once I was out the door, jesus, it's like a repeat, I breathed in the morning air and saw that it wasn't raining anymore but the sidewalk was still wet. I got down the stairs and was already out on the sidewalk. The morning weather was cold and the wind was blowing a bit. I looked around saw that the trees were preparing for Fall. Some lawns even had the leaves on them. I walked down to the end of the road and turned the corner and soon enough, my house was out of sight. A school bus went by past me and people were walking to wherever they were going. Surprisingly, for a town in the middle of South Carolina, we were pretty diverse. I walked past Indians, koreans, black people, white people, brown people, and me. I wasn't paying attention much to my surroundings except for those who were walking around me. I walked past stores, the Washington park, some bridge named after some historical figure, and finally I was nearing my school. Then someone tapped my leg.
I looked down. The man didn't say anything. He held up a sign that read "10 year war vet please money?" He was looking up at me. It was like looking back down to a starved animal. I examined him for a few minutes and realized I had no money and needed to go to school. I shook my head and he held his head down as if he already knew the answer. ********. It left a pretty bad impression on my stomach. Was he out there in the rain all night?
He sat there for a while and soon enough he was out of sight.
Now. School's not that special. I'm a senior and since its my last year, there really isn't anything new in the school anymore. It was a typical highschool. People, teachers, and rooms everywhere. It wasn't much. Still, I was going to miss this school. As much as I didn't like it, 4 years can dig a pretty good bit in your heart. I walked through the doors and was instantly in the cafeteria. I made it just in time and walked to my class. It wasn't much. It was AP Calculus. Well when I say it wasn't much, I mean that, I wasn't really paying that much attention. I don't think I have the frequency to think in Mathematical terminology. I was always a history nut. I mean, I did fine in AP Calculus, but I don't think I'll be carrying it outside of highschool. I was dozing off just as everyone else was until the teacher said she had an annoucement.
"Since you guys are seniors now, I hope you've already thought of ideas for your CAS project. As a reminder, it needs to serve as some sort of benefit to an outside party and make sure it shows signs of organization, leadership, and group effort."
She looked at me at the word "leadership". Nothing else new happened after that. AP Calculus went by and soon enough I was History class. We were in the 1920s and was rolling into the rise of the KKK. There wasn't anything new that I haven't already read in a book or in saw in a documentary. Just a bunch of people yelling "******" again and again, wasn't different much to nazis yelling "jews". So that class went without much happening. I walked down the hallway since lunch was already starting

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I don't think it resonates with what you want it to. It seems flat to me, but I know what you want to do with it.

Perhaps give a bit more to the main character, even if it's ennui or how they so easily forget tragedies.

Then again, I'm listening to a review of EYES of Mars, where people of a desperate planet are told by a spirit (or something) about how their world dying the fault of how they leave and how cruel they are and how they'll all die out soon if they don't change. Someone asks how they can change in hopes of saving people and the world, but the spirit just ******** off and leaves them all to die, which they do.

Even if the main character doesn't change or learn or think anything, maybe have an indication that the importance is with the reader doing that (this was done extremely well by Jim Henson, by the way. A grandmother read a story to the baby and the baby said the story sucked because no one learned anything. The grandmother asked 'but did you?'. Right in the feels.)
Wow <3 I didn't think I'd get someone so well spoken so early. Anyway I'm sorry if it does sound flat. The flat imagery and diction was intentional since its just the beginning of the story to show how bland the MC's life is. And idk the idea of having the reader reach that sort of realization instead of the MC or MCs, seems like it would leave a pretty empty space in my stomach. But is the intentional flat diction/imagery a good idea? I don't want to sound too overflowerly.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
free hugs for world peace
Wow <3 I didn't think I'd get someone so well spoken so early. Anyway I'm sorry if it does sound flat. The flat imagery and diction was intentional since its just the beginning of the story to show how bland the MC's life is. And idk the idea of having the reader reach that sort of realization instead of the MC or MCs, seems like it would leave a pretty empty space in my stomach. But is the intentional flat diction/imagery a good idea? I don't want to sound too overflowerly.

Flat? Yes. Flat enough? No.

I'm not sure if people will read it after flattening it that much, though.
I_Write_Ivre

Flat? Yes. Flat enough? No.

I'm not sure if people will read it after flattening it that much, though.

Well the idea was that as the story progresses the language rises in diction/imagery and I'll start implementing techniques. It happened in The Stranger. It was straight forward but as the MC changes, the language starts to elevate.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100

Well the idea was that as the story progresses the language rises in diction/imagery and I'll start implementing techniques. It happened in The Stranger. It was straight forward but as the MC changes, the language starts to elevate.

No offense, but this is beyond my expertise and opinion.

Good luck.
I_Write_Ivre

Good luck.

It's quite alright ^^; though I fail to see what you mean by "no offense"

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
I_Write_Ivre

Good luck.

Just in case... well, if you do take offense. Some people do, thinking it's personal.
I_Write_Ivre
I_Write_Ivre

Good luck.

Just in case... well, if you do take offense. Some people do, thinking it's personal.

Oh. It's alright. I appreciate what you told me.
9fpbo
Not bad OP.

You called me OP <3? Thanks friend ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out