Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello! After nearly two decades, I finally decided to put my knowledge to use and begin writing my Vampirology book. Unlike most vampire texts, which deal more with creating databases of the different lores and media available, I wanted to create a unique twist to the study and write less about what is believed and more about why.
In Carpe Noctem: Vampirology I will be exploring everything from why crosses might or might not harm vampires, what a vampire would have to do to live in a modern society, how a vampire’s body could work, vampires and sexuality, and much much more.
But it is also not just a book written by me. Each chapter is going to be split up into three sections. The first section will be a simple explanatory section where I discuss the theme of the topic. The third section will be a creative piece, i.e. a short story or a comic, that explores the theme of the chapter.
The second section however, will consist of questions from you. Your questions will be answered by me in the book.

Carpe Noctem: Vampirology is an interactive book that you have the unique opportunity to participate in! In each chapter I have set aside a section for your questions! How do you particiapte?
- Comment with your question on this thread
- Send me a private message
- Email me at childrenofaya@gmail.com

I will be posting prompts to give you guys pointers and hopefully some inspiration, but please, as long as it has to do with vampires, feel free to ask anything. The basic sections that will be in the book are:
What is a vampire?
Becoming a Vampire
Vampiric Appearance and Abilities
Living the Unlife
Protection against Vampires
Destroying a Vampire
Vampires through the Ages
Vampires and Sexuality
There will be chapters in each section pertaining to more specific aspects, but this is the general guide to give you an idea.

All questions will be anonymous, so remember, no question is stupid and no one will know who you are. If you’re wondering about something, there is a high chance someone else is as well! I will never turn away a question as long as it pertains to vampires.

Please help me make this book into something wonderful, it's been a dream of mine for many many years.
Just a few notes of things of which you may already be aware. This is a topic that has been covered countless times from the Vampire Hunter's Handbook to Vampires : The Vampire Encyclopedia. The biggest pitfall you'll want to avoid is relying too heavily on the Hollywood Vampire and Western European vampires, as they tend to inspire most Hollywood mythos. I would recommend researching the vampire mythologies of other cultures, and perhaps even delve into Lilith and Sehkmet. There's also a really interesting article on Cracked from awhile back which explains why immortality would suck - 5 Reasons Immortality is Worse than Death.

But to answer a few questions:

In standard understanding, a vampire refers to a creature whose subsistence is based upon ingesting the blood of other living creatures (haematophagy). Modern science confirms this to be an inefficient sole source of nutrients, but is a behavior also engaged upon by animals to diversify their food supplies. Female mosquitos take blood to help during breeding season. The vampire finch may have developed its vampirism from helping clean parasites off other birds on the Galapagos.

Humans often ingest the blood of other animals in forms such as blood sausage, blood soups, or straight from the source as is the case with the Maasai who drink the blood often during celebrations. Most people can eat a steak medium or rare without paying too much mind to the fact that they are enjoying the flavor of the blood of the animal.

The taboo of drinking the blood of another human finds roots in the old shamanistic belief that when you take the blood or flesh of another creature you take its power. The addition of Abrahamic traditions ( Jewish / Christian / Islamic) regarding the view of humans as the divine copies of their God on Earth made ingestion of human blood taboo to the point that the New Testament followed by Christians bans the ingestion of blood outright - Apostolic Decree (Acts 15:19-21) . The taking of blood from another human became associated with paganism and later Satanism due to many pagan cultures revering the life giving properties of blood. To loose one's blood was to loose one's life.

Also the fear of the cross was only added later on by Christianity as vampirism was seen as being cursed by God. Sunlight was the divine rays of God himself, which was why European vampires at least were unable to go into it. Some Eastern vampires don't' suffer from such an impediment. Garlic, aside from it's astringent properties, was said to remind vampires of the smell of their own corpses.

Earlier on vampire and werewolf mythologies were very similar - particularly in Slavic mythology's Kudlak and Kresniks, or even the Strigoi. Vampirism itself was anything from infection by another, being born on a holiday, dying a virgin, or generally displeasing (the) God(s). Witches and warlocks who were denied entrance to Heaven may wonder as vampires or curse others to roam as such.

You'll find that much of Western cultures original beliefs towards vampires has been contaminated by Christian concepts. However some things such as silver and stakes made of specific woods are carry over from pagan traditions. Silver was often associated with water and purity. In some traditions vampires cannot cross moving waters, as water was considered to carry souls to their resting place or to Hades.

Earlier on the vampire was either likely to resemble a member of the family or to be more decayed like a ghoul. Very often this is the result of the fact that medical knowledge in days past would often have people buried before their true deaths. Some people would indeed dig themselves out of the graves. The lack of oxygen would sometimes cause brain damage. They would often return to loved ones in a state of confusion. This can be seen now in true "zombies" who have been turned by a Bokor to be their slave. The other contribution was the belief in witchcraft. If a town or townsperson had a stroke of bad luck, they would dig up a suspected witch or the last person to die of illness. As decomposition was not properly understood, they would mistake a belly bloated with bacterial breakdown as being fed with blood. Blood at the nose and mouth were not the result of the breakdown of tissues, but of feeding. To prevent a vampire from coming back up, they were often bound, staked to hold them to the coffin, buried upside down, buried with charms, or decapitated. In some cases the decapitated heads were placed between the feet with garlic or a charm stuffed into their mouths.

The standard methods for most western vampires usually call for decapitation as the most effective method.

Vampires didn't start taking on a "sexier" air until around the Regency and Victorian Era with Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu which covers a girl being courted by a female vampire. This story predates Dracula by about a quarter of a century, and is a little more direct in it's appeal to Victorian Christian morality and sexuality. It was an era of duality. Upper and middle class girls were to remain virginal and obedient servants to their husbands. Where as working class and the poorest of society were sold into prostitution quite young. It was believed at the time that having sex with a virgin would cure venereal disease. The most devastating was Syphillis. Syphillis is oddly believed to be referenced in Dracula as the plague that comes with the ship. It is the result of loose morality. While Dracula himself was not an intrinsically sexy character, he embodied the manipulative power of darkness, which corrupts innocent, virginal Mina through incitement, not force. Even he was based upon Vlad Tepes Dracula, which is common knowledge - although Elizabeth Bathory and Gilles De Rais may be more notorious.

While the magnetism is referenced some in Nosferatu, the Dracula we all know can be attributed to Bela Lugosi - slicked black hair, piercing eyes, and a subtle, sensual intensity with a cape. This eventually lead to the sexual connotations being more obvious.

Anyone knows that the best way to get blood is through a major artery, but there is more eroticism in biting a neck than slicing it.

As far as abilities go, the original vampires were generally limited to immortality as they were denied rest on holy ground. However they also took on any powers granted by dealings with Satan. This can be attributed to changing forms ( familiars as well ), bringing misfortune, tempting others into "sin", and being able to control the wills of those around them. They are also attributed later with super strength, speed, claws, fangs, and a litany of other things to make them more bestial and less human.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Are you writing about vampires as they've appeared in media and folklore, or are you Max Brooksing it?

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Alan Dundes has written on the why very extensively and his book is easy to get. Translating it onto modern times would be interesting to see.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
So, will there be any replies to questions or comments? Because Alan has addressed a lot of those sections in his book already, though a modern version or one that combines his research and the modern versions and compares them would be interesting.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Umbre

As far as abilities go, the original vampires were generally limited to immortality as they were denied rest on holy ground. However they also took on any powers granted by dealings with Satan. This can be attributed to changing forms ( familiars as well ), bringing misfortune, tempting others into "sin", and being able to control the wills of those around them. They are also attributed later with super strength, speed, claws, fangs, and a litany of other things to make them more bestial and less human.

They also breathed fire and could control rain.

O.G. Elder

Umbre
Even he was based upon Vlad Tepes Dracula, which is common knowledge

Common knowledge, but incorrect knowledge, if you can trust Bram Stoker's own word for it. He wrote that there were many historical influences on the character of Dracula but that he was not familiar with the Tepes clan, which was a theory posited in his own lifetime. If there were similarities, they were not intentional he claimed. Nobody believed him then, either, though. So there's that.

However, that association was really trumped up in the Coppola film Bram Stoker's Dracula, especially in the opening scenes. I assume this film is most people's main association with the Dracula fiction because it's a well known fact that reading the novel makes reasonable people want to shoot themselves out of aggravated boredom.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Black Gabriel
Dracula fiction because it's a well known fact that reading the novel makes reasonable people want to shoot themselves out of aggravated boredom.

When I was a kid, I thought boring people into submission was one of his powers.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
I remember one story i read, and I know i'm gonna get blasted for this because it was a really famous series and i don't remember the name. but It did a lot of what your trying to do.

trying to remember what that story said. Vampires exist because of Judas. Crosses hurt him because jesus died on the cross, silver hurt him because he betrayed jesus for 30 pieces of it. and one of the biggest reasons he survived was because of his hatred for god and a deal he made with the devil. He hated god because he it was his destiny to betray jesus, somebody he loved dearly. he had no choice in the matter because he couldn't defy god, and the devil helped because... well the devil doesn't really need a reason. so thats why vampiracy is contagious. to corrupt all of gods creation.

anyway. I'm hoping somebody knows the book I'm talking about so they can suggest it to you, again. sorry I don't know the name.
I've read all your posts but my mobile is getting really janky! I will reply in length once I get back to my laptop! heart
Black Gabriel
Umbre

Common knowledge, but incorrect knowledge, if you can trust Bram Stoker's own word for it. He wrote that there were many historical influences on the character of Dracula but that he was not familiar with the Tepes clan, which was a theory posited in his own lifetime. If there were similarities, they were not intentional he claimed. Nobody believed him then, either, though. So there's that.

However, that association was really trumped up in the Coppola film Bram Stoker's Dracula, especially in the opening scenes. I assume this film is most people's main association with the Dracula fiction because it's a well known fact that reading the novel makes reasonable people want to shoot themselves out of aggravated boredom.

I hate to use Wikipedia as a reference as I know it's prone to change by just about anyone, but " The connection of the name "Dracula" with vampirism was made by Bram Stoker, who probably found the name of his Count Dracula character in William Wilkinson's book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: with various Political Observations Relating to Them.[24] It is known that Stoker made notes about this book.[25]

The 24 and 25 references the sources which are :

24. Wilkinson, William. "Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: With Various Political Observations Relating to Them by William Wilkinson - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.

25. Miller, Elizabeth (2000). Dracula: sense & nonsense. Desert Island Books. ISBN 1-874287-24-4.

In full :
"See also: Dracula § Historical and geographical references

The connection of the name "Dracula" with vampirism was made by Bram Stoker, who probably found the name of his Count Dracula character in William Wilkinson's book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: with various Political Observations Relating to Them.[24] It is known that Stoker made notes about this book.[25] It is also suggested that Stoker may have been made aware of the reputation of Vlad through an acquaintance of his, Hungarian professor Ármin Vámbéry from Szentgyörgy, in the Kingdom of Hungary (now Svätý Jur in Slovakia). The fact that character Dr. Abraham Van Helsing states in the 1897 novel that the source of his knowledge about Count Dracula is his friend Arminius appears to support this hypothesis, although there is no specific evidence that Stoker and Vambéry ever discussed Wallachian history.

Referring to a letter from his friend Arminius, van Helsing comments:

He must, indeed, have been that Voivode Dracula who won his name against the Turk, over the great river on the very frontier of Turkey-land. (Chapter 18, pp 145)

This encourages the reader to identify the Vampire Count with the Voivode Dracula first mentioned by him, the one betrayed by his own brother: Vlad III Dracula was betrayed by his brother Radu the Handsome."

So even if it's an amalgamation, Stoker was aware of this historical figure.

O.G. Elder

Umbre
Black Gabriel
Umbre

I hate to use Wikipedia as a reference as I know it's prone to change by just about anyone, but " The connection of the name "Dracula" with vampirism was made by Bram Stoker, who probably found the name of his Count Dracula character in William Wilkinson's book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: with various Political Observations Relating to Them.[24] It is known that Stoker made notes about this book.[25]

The 24 and 25 references the sources which are :

24. Wilkinson, William. "Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: With Various Political Observations Relating to Them by William Wilkinson - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists". Goodreads.com. Retrieved 2012-08-17.

25. Miller, Elizabeth (2000). Dracula: sense & nonsense. Desert Island Books. ISBN 1-874287-24-4.

In full :
"See also: Dracula § Historical and geographical references

The connection of the name "Dracula" with vampirism was made by Bram Stoker, who probably found the name of his Count Dracula character in William Wilkinson's book, An Account of the Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia: with various Political Observations Relating to Them.[24] It is known that Stoker made notes about this book.[25] It is also suggested that Stoker may have been made aware of the reputation of Vlad through an acquaintance of his, Hungarian professor Ármin Vámbéry from Szentgyörgy, in the Kingdom of Hungary (now Svätý Jur in Slovakia). The fact that character Dr. Abraham Van Helsing states in the 1897 novel that the source of his knowledge about Count Dracula is his friend Arminius appears to support this hypothesis, although there is no specific evidence that Stoker and Vambéry ever discussed Wallachian history.

Referring to a letter from his friend Arminius, van Helsing comments:

He must, indeed, have been that Voivode Dracula who won his name against the Turk, over the great river on the very frontier of Turkey-land. (Chapter 18, pp 145)

This encourages the reader to identify the Vampire Count with the Voivode Dracula first mentioned by him, the one betrayed by his own brother: Vlad III Dracula was betrayed by his brother Radu the Handsome."

So even if it's an amalgamation, Stoker was aware of this historical figure.

So in a case of wikipedia being ********' weird, the [25] reference, Dracula: Sense and Nonsense that they use as a support for the statement of the notes is actually a book written almost entirely with the aim of dismissing the notion of Vlad Tepes being a primary influence for Dracula, other than him noting the name Dracula from Vlad II Dracul, which he thought meant Son of Satan.

I haven't read it personally, I had to look it up. I'm not sure what the quality of its research is.

I can't recall where I read that Stoker probably didn't know much about that subject and that his own comments on the matter were that he didn't know much. I just remember it because it was an interesting little bit of trivia. My earlier comments probably gave you a sense that I don't think much of the novel.
Black Gabriel

So in a case of wikipedia being ********' weird, the [25] reference, Dracula: Sense and Nonsense that they use as a support for the statement of the notes is actually a book written almost entirely with the aim of dismissing the notion of Vlad Tepes being a primary influence for Dracula, other than him noting the name Dracula from Vlad II Dracul, which he thought meant Son of Satan.

I haven't read it personally, I had to look it up. I'm not sure what the quality of its research is.

I can't recall where I read that Stoker probably didn't know much about that subject and that his own comments on the matter were that he didn't know much. I just remember it because it was an interesting little bit of trivia. My earlier comments probably gave you a sense that I don't think much of the novel.

No worries. To be fair, one doesn't have to be an authority on a figure of history to take parts of what you do know and vague concepts and forge a character based upon that person. Taking liberties, of course.

Dracula is admittedly a bit of a boring read. But what you do you expect out of Victorian morality tales? Carmilla may be a bit better, especially since it predates it and has a lesbian vampire chasing a girl. Already an improvement over - some clerk gets hired by freaky lord in Eastern Europe - stuff gets mildly weird.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Jin_of_the_thunder
I remember one story i read, and I know i'm gonna get blasted for this because it was a really famous series and i don't remember the name. but It did a lot of what your trying to do.

trying to remember what that story said. Vampires exist because of Judas. Crosses hurt him because jesus died on the cross, silver hurt him because he betrayed jesus for 30 pieces of it. and one of the biggest reasons he survived was because of his hatred for god and a deal he made with the devil. He hated god because he it was his destiny to betray jesus, somebody he loved dearly. he had no choice in the matter because he couldn't defy god, and the devil helped because... well the devil doesn't really need a reason. so thats why vampiracy is contagious. to corrupt all of gods creation.

anyway. I'm hoping somebody knows the book I'm talking about so they can suggest it to you, again. sorry I don't know the name.

There are many books and this is the reason redheads are thought to be vampires (Judas had red hair). I'm not sure if this is where the number 8 played into vampirism (8th son was suspected to be one).

Also, when the schism happened between the Eastern and Western Churches, many who were 'on the wrong side' were accused as they hated and denied God.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff