Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
LadyNaena

Lol, now I'm curious. I do so love Stephen King^^.

I think what I like most about Collins' writing is her ability to create realistic characters we genuinely become attached to and her pacing. It's spot on, I think, which is something I really admire. I have a problem with pacing ._.,

Hah, it's certainly worth a look-through then!

I wouldn't worry a great deal about pacing with your first draft. If you think of writing in terms of drawing, then what you're doing now is a the messy sketch/outline. It doesn't really resemble what the finished product will be, but it let's you get everything down that you need to see to visually work it into whatever you have envisioned.

Friendly Heckler

I'm a sucker for books that start in media res, as a sort of action hook, then backtrack to explain how they got there or contrast the main character's current life, a la Tim Powers' Declare. Unfortunately, that's also a really easy way to confuse a reader, lose steam, or reveal a plot point way too early (that last one was really frustrating to run across).
Rotsab M. Hyolf
LadyNaena

Lol, now I'm curious. I do so love Stephen King^^.

I think what I like most about Collins' writing is her ability to create realistic characters we genuinely become attached to and her pacing. It's spot on, I think, which is something I really admire. I have a problem with pacing ._.,

Hah, it's certainly worth a look-through then!

I wouldn't worry a great deal about pacing with your first draft. If you think of writing in terms of drawing, then what you're doing now is a the messy sketch/outline. It doesn't really resemble what the finished product will be, but it let's you get everything down that you need to see to visually work it into whatever you have envisioned.

You know, the funny thing is, this is actually more of a third draft. It's just the only version of the story that hasn't needed a complete overhaul a hundred pages in. The structure is all but set in stone at this point. Now, it really is just the fine-tuning. sweatdrop
If I'm in a book store surrounded by many choices I:

-Stare at the book cover and see what impression it gives me

-Read the Synopsis on the back

-Skip prologue, read first page

-Decision made

Tipsy Lunatic

I read about the first 3-5 pages. If I haven't gotten interested in it by then then I usually don't pursue it any further.

If it's a recommendation then I'll read more, like the first couple of chapters.
It depends. If the blurb is interesting, I'll give it more time, but usually if the first three chapters haven't hooked me yet I'll give up permanently.

You want to start your story so that it makes sense by itself and is interesting by itself. Keep it simple but intriguing. The more you try to cram things in, the worse it gets, especially because the reader doesn't have the whole story already in their head so you're likely to just confuse and bore them.
Miramelle
I'm a sucker for books that start in media res, as a sort of action hook, then backtrack to explain how they got there or contrast the main character's current life, a la Tim Powers' Declare. Unfortunately, that's also a really easy way to confuse a reader, lose steam, or reveal a plot point way too early (that last one was really frustrating to run across).

Good to know. I much prefer medias res as well, in fact the earliest draft of the story in question began in such a way. Unfortunately, it's super pertinent that readers get a feel for who he is before and not after s**t hits the fan so that the actions that drive the story make sense. Always good to keep medias res in mind, though, so thanks for your input^^>
Prolly Naut
If I'm in a book store surrounded by many choices I:

-Stare at the book cover and see what impression it gives me

-Read the Synopsis on the back

-Skip prologue, read first page

-Decision made

Concise and to the point! Thank's for that heart .
Cogent Dream
It depends. If the blurb is interesting, I'll give it more time, but usually if the first three chapters haven't hooked me yet I'll give up permanently.

You want to start your story so that it makes sense by itself and is interesting by itself. Keep it simple but intriguing. The more you try to cram things in, the worse it gets, especially because the reader doesn't have the whole story already in their head so you're likely to just confuse and bore them.

Okay, three chapters is more than enough time. Thank you!

Invisible Ghost

It depends on the book. Pretty sure the exciting part of the plot in Donna Tartt's The Secret History didn't actually start until a third of the way through, possibly longer, but I stuck with it happily because I enjoyed the writing style.

On the other hand, I've got three or four (possibly more) urban fantasy books sitting on the pile that looked interesting in the book shop, but I haven't got much further than the first chapter or so, because neither the writing nor the plot have been enough to keep me interested to keep going.

On the other, other hand, I finished a book I hated all the way through, because I knew it was incredibly popular, and I was hoping it'd redeem itself by the end (it didn't).

It really depends on the book, who has endorsed it to me, and a heap of other things. All you can do, OP, is make it the best you can, and get the opinion of others on how to make it better, if it needs it.
the hidden ghost
It depends on the book. Pretty sure the exciting part of the plot in Donna Tartt's The Secret History didn't actually start until a third of the way through, possibly longer, but I stuck with it happily because I enjoyed the writing style.

On the other hand, I've got three or four (possibly more) urban fantasy books sitting on the pile that looked interesting in the book shop, but I haven't got much further than the first chapter or so, because neither the writing nor the plot have been enough to keep me interested to keep going.

On the other, other hand, I finished a book I hated all the way through, because I knew it was incredibly popular, and I was hoping it'd redeem itself by the end (it didn't).

It really depends on the book, who has endorsed it to me, and a heap of other things. All you can do, OP, is make it the best you can, and get the opinion of others on how to make it better, if it needs it.

A thorough response, lol. Thank you! heart
LadyNaena
Cogent Dream

This is for a hard copy though. If I'm reading on a computer screen my attention span is literally about two pages.
Cogent Dream
LadyNaena
Cogent Dream

This is for a hard copy though. If I'm reading on a computer screen my attention span is literally about two pages.

That's quite alright; I'm aiming to have this baby in print by next year smile .

5,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200
maybe till the 3rd chapter? kinda depends on the book.
Generally I'll go about 1/4 of the book. 1/2 if i'm really wanting to like it but having a hard time.

Bad or overly cliched writing is the biggest problem I have; Coupled with no actual conflict presenting itself till very late in the book will make me dislike it but still finish it.

I'm not that great of a resource because I always finish books that I start, and have only stopped and put one down twice that I can remember. One was a terrible murder mystery set in New Orleans and the other was Pride and Prejudice. It will bug me until the end of time if I don't finish one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff