Welcome to Gaia! ::

As for the begining...huh? Ohh, I know start out with her Mom rushing out the door and asking if her daughter is going to be O.K. when she is home alone. that tells the reader that no ones is home! Then lead it up to the email. biggrin
Come on now, use your creative juices and tell your reader exactly what the letter said, and then show us her reaction, don't just tell it to us. 3nodding
Sayia
My story...

The bright red "YOU'VE GOT MAIL" flashed at the corner of the computer screen, by the mailbox. Jennifer knew she shouldn't read her mother's mail, but... well... she had too. She slowly dragged the mouse up to the blinking letters and double clicked.
There had been alot of mail sent to her mother that day, but the newest message is the one that caught her eye... the title being "Your time has come"; author: anonymous. At first she was hesitant, thinking that maybe it was one of those stupid spam e-mails that you get from those sites who hand out free viruses to all. But, in time -more like a few seconds- curiosit(sp?) got the better of her, and she decided to read it.
She read the e-mail, her eyes growing wider and wider as she went on. Something about her father's death, and it was her mother's time to go, and she was going to have to pay somehow too. She didn't even know what happened to her father! His adventures and mysterious death during mother's pregnancy had just been a myth, a different story told by each member of the family.

Well,I think that is good for now. Depends on what you think, if you guys like it then I shall write more.

heart Nikki

Neh...it's just okay. You need to use more vivd adjectives to liven it up. Pull out a thesaurus and take out words like "something", "shouldn't", "could"...etc.
I stopped reading the first couple of lines. Just a quick ask, WHY does she have to read her mother's mail? The reader's want to know. Even just saying:
She had to read it! It was her job afterall, being a teenager and all.

Even that, it makes me happy. You have to explore ideas a little more.
Okay.... well that was really just the rough draft, I go back and add detail later.... Maybe I should have shown what the mail says... but then it isn't as exciting when the dude breaks into her house. I don't know... stressed

heart Nikki
Okay.... let's try a flashback and see if that would make it more intresting....

As soon as Jennifer saw the red porche she ran to the closet and shut the door. The car had pulled up just after she read the haunting e-mail on her mother's computer, and it wasn't her mother's car; it couldn't be good.
Jennifer heard something in the kitchen, whoever it was had broken into her house! She didn't move, she just stood behind the closet door, the small shadows of the blinds on the door reflected on her shaking body.
"Madeline isn't here! Who opened the damned e-mail?" Jennifer gazed up to see a tall man coming into her mother's office. He looked around the room, and she flinched when his gaze finally fell onto her backpack, "The daughter! she's here!"

Is that better?

heart Nikki
I think that second part is better. Can I give you an opening suggestion?
Make Jen + mum argue at first, and mum slams the door. Jen is so mad she reads her mum's mail
I can help you with the beginning, just tell me how old is jen and what bad habits her mum hates she's got... blaugh
But her mom isn't mad at her. She is home alone because her mom is at work, and she came home from school. Jennifer only sneaks a peak at the message because she is nosey, and well... I need something to start off the story.

heart Nikki
Quote:
But her mom isn't mad at her. She is home alone because her mom is at work, and she came home from school. Jennifer only sneaks a peak at the message because she is nosey, and well... I need something to start off the story.

heart Nikki

Don't neccisarily discard the whole mad thing....conflict is a good thing wink biggrin

By the way, I feel your pain!! I hate writing intros to stories, they're so damn hard...

You need to draw the reader in. Here is how I would start....

You've Got Mail! Jen jerked out of her daydream as her mom's computer screen started flashing. She stared at the message, wondering who it could be from. She checked the sender. Anonymous. That was peculiar. Jen went to delete it, but held back, curiosity a living thing in her mind. What could it hurt, she thought. Her mother wasn't going to be home for another couple of hours, and it was probably spam anyway.
"It is my civic duty to open it," she said to herself, dragging the cursor across the screen. It finally reached the flashing mailbox icon. "Here goes" she whispered, giving the mouse button a hard click, leaving no room to turn back.

Ya, that is how I would start....and if you want to use it, you can...I'd be honored biggrin ...

Quote:
Ya, that is how I would start....and if you want to use it, you can...I'd be honored biggrin ....

((thinks* my god that sounded pompous...))
....I guess you no longer need help....

Mwahahahahahahah.....the awesome thread-killer has struck again!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff