Welcome to Gaia! ::

^-^ hey everyone, I am Iorek fan! He's so awesome! Who else likes these books?
Actually, discussion of specific books rightfully belongs in the whatsit sticky here, or in the entertainment forum's books subcategory.

... though pertaining to the topic at hand, I adored His Dark Materials the first time I read it. I didn't love it quite as much when I re-read it, but I still think highly of the trilogy. It's definitely something that's worth the time it takes to turn all of those pages one-by-one, and look at every word on all of those pages.

... you know, I just realized that it's scary how many words are in a book, that you don't realize you're reading. *wanders off*
I read those recently, and armored polar bears? C'MON YOU CAN'T GET MORE AWESOME THAN THAT.
But I heard that they're trying to make it into a movie trilogy... (appears to be the cool thing to do these days.. trilogies...) Can u imagine the reception it'll recieve if people think Harry Potter's the devil?
narkoleptik
I read those recently, and armored polar bears? C'MON YOU CAN'T GET MORE AWESOME THAN THAT.
But I heard that they're trying to make it into a movie trilogy... (appears to be the cool thing to do these days.. trilogies...) Can u imagine the reception it'll recieve if people think Harry Potter's the devil?

Good point. I'm still completely astounded that after all of the media frou-ha-ha HP generated from the Crazy Rabid Religious People, that they aren't literally up in arms over His Dark Materials, which has a very strong anti-religious undertone...
theyre great books--did you know they made a play of the trilogy in england. Its a two part play and totals about six hours. And actually, one of the english bishops endorsed it, which is odd...
I can't wait for Reverend Blah and his Bible Buddies to take up arms against the satanic scourge of His Dark Materials.

I really cannot ******** wait.

(btw, i love these books. i love them more than you or any of my illegitimate children)
botchemu04
theyre great books--did you know they made a play of the trilogy in england. Its a two part play and totals about six hours. And actually, one of the english bishops endorsed it, which is odd...

They're showing that play again this Christmas, and I'm going to see it!! I'm so excited.

I'm a huge fan of His Dark Materials; Balthamos is my favourite character. I love the fact that he's such a sarcastic b***h. xd
His Dark Materials was nicely written. The ending though was really sad. It's one of the few times I've actually cried at the end of a book. I can see what you are saying about the Crazy Religious People really making a big deal over the movie. Still they made more of a deal when Harry Potter was a book so if the book didn't make a big deal why would the movie?
Stratavarian
I can't wait for Reverend Blah and his Bible Buddies to take up arms against the satanic scourge of His Dark Materials.

I really cannot ******** wait.

(btw, i love these books. i love them more than you or any of my illegitimate children)

Damn straight. xp It shall be the funnest thing to watch on TV since they canceled all those crappy anime shows I used to watch.

I only read the first book and started the second one, however. I've been reading a whole lot of things and just keep forgetting to finish that trilogy. eek
Adrehel
Still they made more of a deal when Harry Potter was a book so if the book didn't make a big deal why would the movie?

Because Harry Potter stole all the attention. His Dark Materials existed quietly in a corner somewhere while Harry Potter became super-famous; so naturally most of the religious objection was directed towards Harry Potter. Once HDM is released as a movie, it will be subjected to a far wider audience, and only then the fun will begin.
I loved those books. I really need to read the third one again, I can't remember what happened with the angels. Hopefully the movie will be well done. I don't think that they will make a crappy one since the books are not as well known as the other books that are made into movies for a quick buck.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff