Welcome to Gaia! ::

Also known as, "Mommy, Why am I a Punishment?"

I see this all the time in abortion debates, and frankly, I've had enough of it, so I shall rant about it on here, where someone will actually tell me why it's a GOOD thing to have a mother stay pregnant and give birth to a child as a punishment.

And it's always the same. "She deserved it." "Hey, she may learn from it!" "That'll teach her to keep her legs shut!" But my question is why say you are pro-life, and then devalue the life into something as minute as a "punishment", and have it be a title the life will have to live with for... well, the rest of their lives.

So, a child should be a punishment for getting pregnant? Fine, let's ruin the mother's life, making her give birth to a baby that she doesn't even love, and change birth from a wonderful miracle of life into a punishment, reducing the value of the child into nothing more than a mere punishment.

If child is adopted out, and if (s)he's white, (s)he'll be adopted in a snap, but that means that a child that doesn't have the advantage of being healthy or white will have to wait until another person decides to adopt, as people complain about there not being any children for them to adopt because none of the 500,000 plus orphans are white or heathy. And if (s)he's black... well, let's just say that (s)he's going to be in that orphanage for a very long time...

If the mother decides to KEEP the baby, or rather is pressured to, then she'll have to raise a child she doesn't even love that ruined her life, and the child will not know the love of a mother or father because (s)he wasn't wanted in the first place.

Ah, how the wonders of cruel, unusual, and degrading punishment and taking of the right to control one's body is. 3nodding

"But it's not a punishment! It's merely a life lesson! Boy parts+ Girl parts x semen = Baby Not a punishment, but simple life math."

What if you have your tubes tied? Or are unfertile?

Plus, it doesn't equal a baby. If the girl has an egg waiting in her uterus, and a sperm egg fertilizes it, you get a fertilized egg.

And it still doesn't justify ruining not one, but two lives. Please tell me how ruining a woman's life as well as a child's just so you can "teach the slut a lesson" is a good thing.

By the way, before posting, try looking at the other posts. Some questions you may have might be quickly answered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: For those who asked on proof for the racism thing: (I'm getting tired of looking for it, or asking other's to post it.)

http://www.alternet.org/rights/19821/
"So. It wasn't about babies after all, but about white babies. They didn't tell us that in religion class, nor did they mention it at the march. But wait! Open any newspaper and you can find couples advertising, selling themselves as loving parents who wish to complete their lives with your baby. Yes. Your white baby."
Don't believe the article? Check this out: http://www.lifetimeadoption.com/for_birtmothers/profiles.html
Choose any family, then click the "learn more about our family" link. It'll send you to a chart outlining the family and the criteria they seek in an infant. Here's the most common answer: http://www.lifetimeadoption.com/for_birtmothers/families/danny_michelle/our_family.html
Newborn. Caucasian. No special needs.
It's not that there aren't hundreds of thousands of unwanted and unloved children already existing in the world, desperately needing homes� It's that they don't fit the acceptable profile.

For every shiny new baby you add to the system, another existing child doesn't get adopted.
Meet Dominique and Ivy.

http://photolisting.adoption.com/children/3396.html
http://photolisting.adoption.com/children/3395.html

They need a family. If I give birth to a perfect, healthy, white newborn, and a loving family adopts it, that's one less family who will consider adopting Dominique and Ivy.

Thanks to Nethilia for the following information

http://adoptionnetwork.com/
http://www.adopthelp.com/
http://www.courageouschoice.com/
http://www.americanadoptions.com/

All I did was plug adoption into Google. What do you see? That's right. White couples, white babies, white families. I saw one family that might have been Asian, and a few brown faces on http://www.adoptuskids.org, which is national. On every private site I saw more white than a blizzard in Denver.

http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/FactOverview/foster.html

Quote:
[The writer of the article] recently requested an adoption application from this agency called "American Adoptions." (For research purposes only I assure you.) They give you a bunch of information along with the application form. Here's how they break things down in terms of race:

They divide their programs into "Traditional" and "Minority." "Traditional" includes all "healthy, non-African American" babies. They state that "Traditional" program races "include, but are not limited to, Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, etc. or any non-African American combination of races."

What it boils down to is that "African-American or Bi/multi-racial (any race combined with African-American heritage) newborns/infants" in the "Minority" program cost way less than babies in the "Traditional" program, anywhere from $4,000 to $16,000 less, with no up-front fee required. The average wait for a "Traditional" program baby is months longer than the wait for a "Minority" program baby, which can be as short as 1 month, and the rules regarding age of parents and number of children who can already be living in the home are less strict for "Minority" program applicants. While reduced fees and fewer restrictions on parent eligibility (combined with other anti-racist, anti-classist strategies) can make adoption more accessible to people of color, "Minority" programs like this one are not focused on recruiting and approving people of color to adopt.

Agencies are able to subsidize "Minority" programs in part because they do not spend lots of money advertising to pregnant women to give up their "minority" babies for adoption; instead, they focus their attention on recruiting pregnant women who can help fill the demand for white babies. Also, many agencies use a "one drop" kind of rule to draw a strict line between African American and white, while quietly ignoring all other "minorities." The argument that "Minority" programs exist to make adoption more accessible to people of color is often an attempt to mask white-run agencies' complicity with white-dominated society's general devaluation of African American children. Most agencies don't care about recruiting parents of color or making their programs more accessible to people of color in general. The pictures of angelic, blonde-haired babies advertised by agencies like American Adoptions make it clear that they're primarily concerned with matching up white people with white babies, and when that isn't possible, convincing whites to settle for a "less desirable" child.

http://www.transracialabductees.org/politics/budget.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT^2!: "But, the baby deserves a chance to live, and have a good home, and what not! Why not give birth to the baby so that it has a chance!"

I'm actually, with the approval of the original poster, going to use another person's post to answer this. They phrase it PERFECTLY. Here it is:

Calixti
My brother and I were both unplanned, and I think, unwanted. Our mother is "personally pro-life" and believes abortion is never appropriate unless the mother's life is in danger or she was raped. She calls herself pro-choice.

Mum loves us, though. I know life was hard with my brother, especially after his father left, and things were hard just after she married my father (because she was pregnant with me). His family dislikes my mother, much of his family refuses to acknowledge my brother because he is not a blood relative, and I'm disliked because I was the first Capps granddaughter and I'm the first of my generation going to college.

But none of that matters, because as much as I know my dad wanted his own son, he loves my brother as his own, and he loves me. My mother loves us both. We were both unplanned and unwanted, but we're loved anyway.

So I have a question, Lifers. What if Mum didn't love us? What if she resented my brother for interfering with her career? What if she resented me for forcing her into a marriage with a man she barely knew? What if my father hated me for not being a boy? What if my father refused to accept another man's child as his son? Do you really think we would both be happy and healthy and emotionally stable?

My mum and daddy made my brother and me--and our younger sister, who WAS planned--into blessings. We became blessings because in the end, we were wanted. Our parents grew to love us. But not all parents do so. There are mothers and fathers that curse the children they never wanted, that abuse them physically and emotionally, that hurt their children and themselves.

Turning a pregnancy into a punishment doesn't just harm the woman, it harms the child as well. Turning a pregnancy into a punishment ruins more than one life. Is it worth it just to see a slut punished, Lifers? Is it worth the risk of ruining more than one life in hopes that the mother and father will get married like my parents, and that they'll grow to love their unwanted children? I don't think so.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
Yes, I agree that the giving birth as a punishment the stupidest answer for pregnant teenager girls. I'd like to see someone say that to an adult woman and see how far they can walk without the husband attacking them.
I think that your taking the wrong look at this. WHen you have sex, you are taking the chance/descion to have a child. Giving life to something is a joy and is wonderful. Regardless of whether the child is going to ruin the mothers life or not, all mothers feel a special love and kinship for the baby. If a mother absolutely hates the child and thinks of it as a curse, then she shouldnt even be allowed to bear children should she? And who gives any human being the right to take away the life of someone that they are giving birth too because of a stupid mistake that the parents themselves made? Do you have the right to go out and shoot someone with a gun?
I agree. to be told that your body is not your own is horrifying. because what else do you really own entirely besides your body and mind? and yet, those too are so often molested. By fear, by physical abuse, and by so much more. I believe that the only argument with a basis for the pro-lifers is that you have the right to control your own life, but not the life of another......but when the two conflict? what do you do then? that is what the abortion debate is about. and indeed it is a debate, a very important one. It may later lead to other questions including the debates on the ethical righteousness of organ doners, surrogate mothers, cloning and the like. The whole point of all these is to decide whether a person should have entire control of his/her own body despite the situation or not. what do you think?
Togechu64
I think that your taking the wrong look at this. WHen you have sex, you are taking the chance/descion to have a child. Giving life to something is a joy and is wonderful. Regardless of whether the child is going to ruin the mothers life or not, all mothers feel a special love and kinship for the baby. If a mother absolutely hates the child and thinks of it as a curse, then she shouldnt even be allowed to bear children should she? And who gives any human being the right to take away the life of someone that they are giving birth too because of a stupid mistake that the parents themselves made? Do you have the right to go out and shoot someone with a gun?
When a person gets into a car, a person knows there is a risk of getting into an accident.

So if they get into an accident, why should they be able to go to the hospital since they took the chance?

8,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
I agree that KEEPING the child as a "punishment" isn't right. But I don't believe in abortion. If a woman becomes pregnant and does not want the child, at least give it a chance to live. Living in an orphanage isn't always as bad as not living at all. The baby did not ask to be made, at least give it a chance at life and give birth to it. NO matter the race.

But I do agree that using the child as a punishment is wrong. But I'd never agree with aborting the pregnancy. No need in punishing the child inside.
Togechu64

i do not doubt that, but desperation may lead to desperate measures.

what gives you the right to say that? dare you play god and decide who can reproduce and who can't?
ComfortablyMad
I agree that KEEPING the child as a "punishment" isn't right. But I don't believe in abortion. If a woman becomes pregnant and does not want the child, at least give it a chance to live. Living in an orphanage isn't always as bad as not living at all. The baby did not ask to be made, at least give it a chance at life and give birth to it. NO matter the race.

But I do agree that using the child as a punishment is wrong. But I'd never agree with aborting the pregnany. No need in punishing the child inside.
Many women see not only the child as a punishment, but the pregnancy as well. Considering that pregnancy is not something that is easy, it's understandable.
ComfortablyMad
Living in an orphanage isn't always as bad as not living at all. The baby did not ask to be made, at least give it a chance at life and give birth to it. NO matter the race.

How do you know how bad "not living at all" is?
ComfortablyMad

But I do agree that using the child as a punishment is wrong. But I'd never agree with aborting the pregnany. No need in punishing the child inside.

the only fair way to settle that aspect is to ask the child him/herself, no? and we can hardly do that can we? you can guarantee neither that the baby will be happy about the chance to live, and nor that he/she will hate it....and because of that, it all relies on chance.

8,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
How can you people believe in ending a life so innocent? What did the child do to deserve to be killed?
lumnata
ComfortablyMad
Living in an orphanage isn't always as bad as not living at all. The baby did not ask to be made, at least give it a chance at life and give birth to it. NO matter the race.

How do you know how bad "not living at all" is?

quite right. ignorance is bliss, and that would be what you would give to the child. having no life is the safest choice, because then, the "child who would have been" would have nothing to regret at least....
ComfortablyMad
How can you people believe in ending a life so innocent? What did the child do to deserve to be killed?
I don't believe a fetus to be innocent, since a fetus is not capable of being anything.
ComfortablyMad

what did the child do to deserve a life of poverty and orphanage-dwelling? it seems that all pro-lifers can think about is their own guilt. but i ask you, how do you know that the child will be happy with your gift of life? how many pro-lifers are willing to take these children into their own homes?
Beatrix the catgirl
ComfortablyMad
I don't believe a fetus to be innocent, since a fetus is not capable of being anything.

indeed. the best thing to do is relieve it of its possible misery while it still cannot think of whether the decision would be good or bad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff