Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Nice ab conversations guys I will never get that washboard feel without going as far as at least semi pro and those protein shake body builder forums... for one as I woman taking a dairy based protein shake is just going to make me fatter and more lethargic, and soy is hardly a substitute (I use pea protein XD).

Anyone want to discuss useful tips for girls~!

My hips are too wide to do mens bar squats so I am left with free weights (hardly safe if I lose concentration) and my shoulders restrict me from improving my chin ups unless I do inner hand ones and use my arms and back. Also I can't seem to get that section of softness off my butt/lower back no matter how hard my glutes get and my bra band size and straps are getting awkward for my cup size because of my broadening back and shoulders, how to people overcome this? I can't go braless my boobs are still big razz
Finally!! Jeeze, I've been trying to find some advice on how to start lifting but I'm very small and a woman so I'm no where as strong as average male and I just don't know where/ how to start. It's not that I'm super weak, it's just that I'm small and I don't know if that would affect form. I assume just like in yoga where form comes before depth, in weight lifting form would come before weight. So, do you have any advice for someone just starting out? Also to strengthen that lower part of your back you could try laying on your stomach and lifting your legs or bending over with your arms straight above your head, just make sure to keep your core tight. smile I know it's not weight lifting but hopefully that can help you!
Yes, you are the only one.

In the world.

Versatile Noob

I'm hope not. What were some of the basics you started with?

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Gloien
Finally!! Jeeze, I've been trying to find some advice on how to start lifting but I'm very small and a woman so I'm no where as strong as average male and I just don't know where/ how to start. It's not that I'm super weak, it's just that I'm small and I don't know if that would affect form. I assume just like in yoga where form comes before depth, in weight lifting form would come before weight. So, do you have any advice for someone just starting out? Also to strengthen that lower part of your back you could try laying on your stomach and lifting your legs or bending over with your arms straight above your head, just make sure to keep your core tight. smile I know it's not weight lifting but hopefully that can help you!

Its okay to be small one of my friends is actually a semi pro (whereas I lift for fun) and she's only 165 cm tall.

To start it is better to get instruction so you don't hurt yourself. When I started I asked the gym trainings to set me up a leg back and chest routine of 8 exercises with 3 sets of 10-12 reps and then they showed me the form for the first few days. After that the only thing in my way was motivation!

If you have a guy gym friend or can find one that respects that you want to actually build muscle (I am still not buff after over a year and I go 5 times a week. Yay no testosterone) they will most likely pair with you and encourage you to increase your weights, also be a spotter for the more difficult lifts like the bench press, shoulder incline press, and lying down barbell tricep extensions which is dubbed the skull crusher, you should be able to make a routine of it!!

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Senator Armstrong
Yes, you are the only one.

In the world.

not the world, just this forum apparently!

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kiratoma
I'm hope not. What were some of the basics you started with?
I jumped straight in and started doing full 6 day a week (back, chest, legs, repeat) 1 hour routine cycles with a rest day. Now I do only 4 days of actual weight training (back, chest, leg, shoulder core mix), and run long distance another day, and since it is summer in aus, I lap swim another day. I want to try a triathlon sometime but at the moment I am far from it and weightlifting is now a habit not something I struggle for any more.
agirlnamedolivia
Gloien

Its okay to be small one of my friends is actually a semi pro (whereas I lift for fun) and she's only 165 cm tall.

To start it is better to get instruction so you don't hurt yourself. When I started I asked the gym trainings to set me up a leg back and chest routine of 8 exercises with 3 sets of 10-12 reps and then they showed me the form for the first few days. After that the only thing in my way was motivation!

If you have a guy gym friend or can find one that respects that you want to actually build muscle (I am still not buff after over a year and I go 5 times a week. Yay no testosterone) they will most likely pair with you and encourage you to increase your weights, also be a spotter for the more difficult lifts like the bench press, shoulder incline press, and lying down barbell tricep extensions which is dubbed the skull crusher, you should be able to make a routine of it!!

Most of my guy friends don't lift and I'm not sure if the gym I go to offers free training but I could always ask. Thanks! ^^ Maybe I try to figure something out with one of the people I see there a lot.

Darth Khaleesi's Husband

OG Gatekeeper

O hay guys. I can help.

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Gloien
agirlnamedolivia
Gloien

Most of my guy friends don't lift and I'm not sure if the gym I go to offers free training but I could always ask. Thanks! ^^ Maybe I try to figure something out with one of the people I see there a lot.

Yes I am sure you'll figure it out and then you'll be hooked like me!

Dapper Codger

agirlnamedolivia
Nice ab conversations guys I will never get that washboard feel without going as far as at least semi pro and those protein shake body builder forums... for one as I woman taking a dairy based protein shake is just going to make me fatter and more lethargic, and soy is hardly a substitute (I use pea protein XD).

My hips are too wide to do mens bar squats so I am left with free weights (hardly safe if I lose concentration) and my shoulders restrict me from improving my chin ups unless I do inner hand ones and use my arms and back. Also I can't seem to get that section of softness off my butt/lower back no matter how hard my glutes get and my bra band size and straps are getting awkward for my cup size because of my broadening back and shoulders, how to people overcome this? I can't go braless my boobs are still big razz

Deadlifts and good mornings for your lower back. Get custom bras or buy from specialty bra stores online. Bras are adjustable enough that you should be able to find something that will do for now if you want to save money for a custom one.

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kreiois
agirlnamedolivia

Deadlifts and good mornings for your lower back. Get custom bras or buy from specialty bra stores online. Bras are adjustable enough that you should be able to find something that will do for now if you want to save money for a custom one.

I deadlift 50kg my arse is tight but just above the actual butt is soft, on my hip line. And I do make do but seriously bras are always uncomfortable, I'd rather not have them dig into my traps or slip of my shoulders... sigh not mentioning the wires and all other bra issues. And I can't afford custom bras I'm a student.

Dapper Codger

Some people include deadlifts for back day instead of leg day (my bf and I). Engage more of your back instead. And really, good mornings are great for your lower back.

For bras, then I suggest buying bras from the section for older women. The straps tend to be thicker and made of softer fabric, same for the band. Sports bras are also nice, and some offer padding and support as well.

Anxious Citizen

5,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Hygienic 200
Kreiois
Some people include deadlifts for back day instead of leg day (my bf and I). Engage more of your back instead. And really, good mornings are great for your lower back.

For bras, then I suggest buying bras from the section for older women. The straps tend to be thicker and made of softer fabric, same for the band. Sports bras are also nice, and some offer padding and support as well.

Deadlifts start my back day, holding your core and keeping your shoulders back is a necessity for form but everyone can also agree it pulls the backs of your legs. Also I can't really do good mornings, I am too flexible (I can fold in half nearly) they are not worth the potential harm to me from trying to keep form.

I'm a 80F in American sizes, honey I'm already in granny bras. I'll just give up on it, sometimes people just can't nice things.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff