Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maybe its because I'm a huge nerd about most things involving martial arts, but Michonne's abilities with a katana have always bothered me. I mean some of the feats she accomplishes are things masters of the arts study the sword for decades to perform and some of them defy the physics of how a katana works.

Now I suspended most of my belief in the fact that okay maybe she has a history with the weapon and has previous training and experience. But from what I saw in this opening episode is that Michonne basically had zero experience with a katana, and can probably assume zero knowledge on the proper upkeep and maintenance of a high performance weapon.

I mean its a cool idea of a bad *** black chick wielding a katana I just wish there was more believeability supporting it. But I guess I just have to turn off my inner nerd and accept that Michonne's katana is like Hershel's shotgun.... which he should have never put down... having a shotgun with the infinite ammo cheat in the zombie apocalypse is basically having a win button.

Ruthless Hellraiser

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Hellraiser 500
I'll be straight with ya. I'm of the opinion that there's more to Michonne that they've given us, and that we're gonna learn more about her as the season progresses.

Michonne was self-taught in the comics, too!
It's called adaptability, something that anyone alive at this point in the show has in spades. At the end of the day her Katana is simply a cutting device, one that she's had real world experience in using as opposed to practicing forms for years. Real world experience was her training. How long had the outbreak been going on in the show at the point we're first introduced to Michonne? A good year perhaps? At least from what the show has given us, Michonne has been roughing it out in the wild by herself in a zombie apocalypse for an entire year. The weapon was her lifeline and she learned how to make the best out of it.

Man-Hungry Werewolf

I actually like what they did with Michonnes back story. I thought that they were going to do the whole her two original walkers raped her or something which is why she felt to carry them around to demoralize them after they were dead.

You can clearly see, as the dream, which it was which means details are clearly not always exactly right, that initially she bought her sword on a whim, though do to either natural talent, with a spew of screw ups she eventually learned to use that effectively, or just plain luck and watching to many samurai movies. Over even a short period of time, one can learn to use the basic zombie killing moves with a katana, it's all about muscle memorization, which Merle complemented her on in season three.

The season just came back, give a bit to really start.

Though personally I think this mid season opener was really great, even if I feel that a mid season break is an entirely stupid idea.

Dedicated Prophet

The Genesis Angel
I actually like what they did with Michonnes back story. I thought that they were going to do the whole her two original walkers raped her or something which is why she felt to carry them around to demoralize them after they were dead.

You can clearly see, as the dream, which it was which means details are clearly not always exactly right, that initially she bought her sword on a whim, though do to either natural talent, with a spew of screw ups she eventually learned to use that effectively, or just plain luck and watching to many samurai movies. Over even a short period of time, one can learn to use the basic zombie killing moves with a katana, it's all about muscle memorization, which Merle complemented her on in season three.

The season just came back, give a bit to really start.

Though personally I think this mid season opener was really great, even if I feel that a mid season break is an entirely stupid idea.

Def should read the comics.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I'm not too disappointed. I could be nitpicky and say that I wish she had been married. (Why did the black woman have to be unmarried and with a child?) But whatever.
At this point, Michonne's story is the most powerful of all the characters.Flat out. Its so complex. I mean damn, I had to watch the scene with her family like 3-4 times before I could really understand it. They thought she was weak, she wouldn't make it, she was just a mother. But she was the only one to survive this long. She lost her family--her child especially and she shut down, which is why she's been so cut off and cold. I'm glad we were able to see a deeper emotional side of Michonne, she is a person and not just some robotic black woman butt kicking machine.
Besides, they had to make up for the failed development of T-Dog. Finally some black character development.

Apocalyptic Friend

I don't know, having a bit of a gripe about the believably of something in a supernatural drama is kind of... it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Either way, it was made somewhat clear in the show that she wasn't really a practitioner of bladed weapon skills. She was actually living quite a comfortable and privileged life before this; I feel like swordplay was one of the furthest things from her mind in her life before the walkers came around.

It's pretty much the same in the comics. She was either a lawyer or a paralegal, and the katana was a weapon of opportunity. It was a neighbor's property, not her own, and she took it when the s**t hit the fan.

Intellectual Lunatic

The Genesis Angel

You should read the comics!
idk what you're so upset about.
she doesn't do anything impressive with the katana. anyone can do what she does. it's nothing.

perfectly believable to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces