Welcome to Gaia! ::

Didn't that owl die?

There was a news story.
Harlequin Ichthyosis
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You get the "You made Oscar Wilde Laugh" award.
vanuys
It takes a while to explain.

the simple thing to say is:

O rly originated on FYAD (a forum on somethingawful), it was used for a number of things, but most people agree that it was first used to make fun of 'netspeak'.

around that time, in 2003, 4chan was relatively young, and there was a current fad of replying to reposts with pictures of owls.

someone decided to 'shop 'O RLY' onto a picture of an owl, as if to say:
'this is a repost'
'O RLY?'

ytmnd came along, made it relatively popular, loads of ytmnd fags thought it was hilarious. and since ytmnd are worse than ebaums, they claimed that O RLY was theirs.

Then, some sellout f*****t decided to buy a domain called orly owls, and shoved his ******** watermark on it.

O rly was hilarious in 2003/2004.
but now it's just annoying.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH
first correct person in the thread
jesus you are a bunch of ignorant ********
EmoMonster
The owl died a month or so ago.
So sad. :'(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! gonk
MY LIFE ISN'T WORTH LIVING ANY MORE! crying
i also post on this vinyl trading board (vivalavinyl.org)
and that was the first place i saw it
so i always just thought it originated there.
User Image

I like this one. I can't believe that there are emo owls too... how sad. whee
vanuys
It takes a while to explain.

the simple thing to say is:

O rly originated on FYAD (a forum on somethingawful), it was used for a number of things, but most people agree that it was first used to make fun of 'netspeak'.

around that time, in 2003, 4chan was relatively young, and there was a current fad of replying to reposts with pictures of owls.

someone decided to 'shop 'O RLY' onto a picture of an owl, as if to say:
'this is a repost'
'O RLY?'

ytmnd came along, made it relatively popular, loads of ytmnd fags thought it was hilarious. and since ytmnd are worse than ebaums, they claimed that O RLY was theirs.

Then, some sellout f*****t decided to buy a domain called orly owls, and shoved his ******** watermark on it.

O rly was hilarious in 2003/2004.
but now it's just annoying.

User Image

Not annoying to me!! blaugh
OscarWilde

"We would like to apologize for the way in which politicians are represented in this programme. It was never our intention to imply that politicians are weak-kneed, political time-servers who are more concerned with their personal vendettas and private power struggles than the problems of government, nor to suggest at any point that they sacrifice their credibility by denying free debate on vital matters in the mistaken impression that party unity comes before the well-being of the people they supposedly represent, nor to imply at any stage that they are squabbling little toadies without an ounce of concern for the vital social problems of today. Nor indeed do we intend that viewers should consider them as crabby ulcerous little self-seeking vermin with furry legs and an excessive addiction to alcohol and certain explicit sexual practices which some people might find offensive. We are sorry if this impression has come across."

Now for another dead fad: Misappropriating quotes to 19th century poet Oscar Wilde.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff