Welcome to Gaia! ::

From religious statements like "faith hope and charity; the greatest of these being hope" (or something like that), to my personal favourite "it's not just black and white" what place do little quotes like these play in modern philosohpy, what can they teach, and what's your favourite?
Agreed. (Quotes are powerful and important.) I've read quotes that have almost made me change my beliefs, they were so powerful.

Never underestimate the power of the quote.
terymacrae
From religious statements like "faith hope and charity; the greatest of these being hope" (or something like that), to my personal favourite "it's not just black and white" what place do little quotes like these play in modern philosohpy, what can they teach, and what's your favourite?

Quotes are stupid, I never use them.
This is something quoted from Socrates that I absolutely adore.

Quote:
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.
Madame Sedona

Quote:
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

I hate quotes like that, because they are just plain stupid, someone trying to sound fancy, and inflate their own ego.

3,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Please refer to my sig for the greatest quote ever.
luftwafe
Please refer to my sig for the greatest quote ever.

True, yet crude in its execution. Personally; I like it wink
Well, "quotes" play an important part of modern philosophy, to denote meaning or, more specifically, "condescending" meaning. We might use "quotes" to "show" "contempt" for certain "ideas" that our "audience" might hold, like "thoughts" and "culture" and "the hermeneutics of ontological objectivism".

-edit- Ohhh,
Quote:
quotes!

Right, of course. Well, my personal favorite:

"Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired."
"only the dead have seen the end of war"
"That man is wisest who, like Socrates, realizes that his wisdom is worthless"
"A lie told often enough becomes truth"
"All your base are belong to us"
"Faith without words is usless"
"For those who seek perfection there can be no rest this side of the grave"
"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment"
"It causes me constant pain. I would not have it any other way, for it serves as a remainder against complacency"
"Knowledge is power, hide it well"
"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair is an illusion of the mind"
"Sometimes the good must perish so that the rest survive"
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal"
"Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none"
"What is the terror of death? That we die, our work incomplete. What is the joy of life? To die, knowing our task is done"
"There will be no rest this side of the grave for all those who seek perfection"
"Those would would sacrifice essential liberties for a little safety deserve neither liberty or safety"
"A true friend stabs you in the front"
why would i tell a life in a second.to do so would be painfull.to know that all i have done is so easily put down.
karamet
why would i tell a life in a second.to do so would be painfull.to know that all i have done is so easily put down.

Very easily put down, from the looks of it.

Cheers!
zanbato82
Madame Sedona

Quote:

I hate quotes like that, because they are just plain stupid, someone trying to sound fancy, and inflate their own ego.

if you are unablle to understand something so powerful then you truly understand nothing.I end with a quote,the man who tells all will soon have nothing.
kaijupaziuri
karamet

Very easily put down, from the looks of it.

Cheers!

your greatest weapon is your foes mind.
"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers" ~oscar wilde an ideal husband
karamet
zanbato82
Madame Sedona

Quote:

if you are unablle to understand something so powerful then you truly understand nothing.I end with a quote,the man who tells all will soon have nothing.

But hang on... if zanbato82 understands nothing, then isn't he the wisest man alive? So wisdom, by your logic, would come from not being able to understand "something so powerful". Which is odd, since that seems to contradict everything the word wisdom usually means.

Ah well. Zanbato, grace us with yet more profundity!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff