Welcome to Gaia! ::

What Type Of Music Do You Listen To?

Rap or Hip Hop 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 18 ]
R&B 0.0092592592592593 0.9% [ 2 ]
Rock(Alternative, Clasic, or Any Other Type Of rock You Can Think Of) 0.3287037037037 32.9% [ 71 ]
Emo 0.032407407407407 3.2% [ 7 ]
Punk 0.055555555555556 5.6% [ 12 ]
Other 0.097222222222222 9.7% [ 21 ]
All Different Kinds Of Music 0.39351851851852 39.4% [ 85 ]
Total Votes:[ 216 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Some of the punks and emo kids that I've met dress that way not because of music, but because they think it's cool. True punk and emo were about the music, but not everyone who has that label is that same, some do it for the music, other pretend to, but actually have never even heard of the ramones for example if their punk.

I don't think they're that connected. I'm sure there are cases where it is connected, but I listen to all kinds of music, mostly rock and I dont' also dress in dark/leathery colors, I actually am quite fond of pink.

But the problem with this question is that it's asking about stereotypes, everyone is going to be different, so there's really no answer for this question.
Music is one of the things that seperate different social groups. As a member of any given group, you're expected to listen to a certain type of music. So if you want to enter a community who share simmilar musical tastes as you, you need to conform to their ideas of appropriate behavior. The more in depth you wish to become in that particular feild of music, the more you must earn the respect and/or admiration of your peirs in that particular group. As a person, I listen to jazz and emo music. I don't, however, have any intention or desire to discuss or share the experience of jazz or emo with others, so I don't convey the additude of someone who listens to those types of music. I do, however, convey someone who listens to rock, because I like rock, and I like talking about it. These days, most social groups have a particular vein of music tied to them, so if you want to become a goth or an intellectual kid or a philosopher or whatever, you're expected to listen to the appropriate vein of music. On the same token, you're expected to act like a goth or an intellectual or a philosopher if you listen to certain types of music.
Music does not define a person in any way. I like a variety of music, and all the songs that I like, I like because of their meaning. Not because of the Genre.
People dress the way the dress becauase they want to. Music does not affect this choice. I wear mostly black, green,blue and brown. Why? Because they are my favoritte colors. And they all match each other farily well, it makes it a lot easier to pick what i'm going to wear that day. (Green and Brown dont usually look good with each other though.)
Classical all the way, especially Chopin.
Toothling
Music is one of the things that seperate different social groups. As a member of any given group, you're expected to listen to a certain type of music. So if you want to enter a community who share simmilar musical tastes as you, you need to conform to their ideas of appropriate behavior. The more in depth you wish to become in that particular feild of music, the more you must earn the respect and/or admiration of your peirs in that particular group. As a person, I listen to jazz and emo music. I don't, however, have any intention or desire to discuss or share the experience of jazz or emo with others, so I don't convey the additude of someone who listens to those types of music. I do, however, convey someone who listens to rock, because I like rock, and I like talking about it. These days, most social groups have a particular vein of music tied to them, so if you want to become a goth or an intellectual kid or a philosopher or whatever, you're expected to listen to the appropriate vein of music. On the same token, you're expected to act like a goth or an intellectual or a philosopher if you listen to certain types of music.

Not always. I hang out with a group of people who love instrumental and jazz music, but I don't listen to it all that often. They don't force me or even expect me to listen to that music to be a part of that group. How many people really go, "Oh you don't listen to rap? I hate you, I'm never hanging out with you again!"

You can be intellectual and love rap, no one is goign to care, you can be intellectual and love listening to disney soundtracks. Music doesn't define who you are. Music can be a part of you who are, but it doesn't define an individual or a group.
Kiyomi_87
Toothling

Not always. I hang out with a group of people who love instrumental and jazz music, but I don't listen to it all that often. They don't force me or even expect me to listen to that music to be a part of that group. How many people really go, "Oh you don't listen to rap? I hate you, I'm never hanging out with you again!"

You can be intellectual and love rap, no one is goign to care, you can be intellectual and love listening to disney soundtracks. Music doesn't define who you are. Music can be a part of you who are, but it doesn't define an individual or a group.

Well your friends may be more enlightened than the average group, but that's an exception to the rule. In most cases, even if the group actively avoids pressuring newcomers, they still feel a sense that to 'belong,' they need to be simmilar to them. You probably have a higher self-esteem and sense of worth than most people, but a point that needs to be made is that most people aren't like that.
how we act.. i used to never listen to music and i just got into certain types one day.. i dont think music affected me before then
how much money I have to spends affects how I dress more than anything... xd
I think there is a direct relationship between what music I am listening to and how fast I drive...
Toothling
Kiyomi_87
Toothling

Well your friends may be more enlightened than the average group, but that's an exception to the rule. In most cases, even if the group actively avoids pressuring newcomers, they still feel a sense that to 'belong,' they need to be simmilar to them. You probably have a higher self-esteem and sense of worth than most people, but a point that needs to be made is that most people aren't like that.

Which saddens me greatly. So few realize the truth of the matter, which is that PEOPLE ARE WHO THEY ARE. People don't need to wrap themselves up in illusions and stereotypes all the damn time. I don't, and y'know what? Some people have the balls to criticize me for it. But you know what I do? I explain to them exactly how ******** stupid that is and go on my way. Honestly, if everybody just acted the way they normally do, we wouldn't be having discussions like this about sheep and their lack of free will.
WHY IS THERE NO METAL OPTION!?

I listen to metal because that's how I am and always was (I just hadn't discovered it), and what I listen to affects how I am and feel and how I act and write. So it goes both ways.

As far as clothes... it makes me want to dress in shirts related to my favorite bands, and that's it. D:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That on a shirt makes me happy. domokun
Toothling
but that's an exception to the rule.

Since when? I think you're wrong, very wrong.

People can like different kinds of music but like each other as people.
As long as it's not r&b or rap I'll listen to it.
Silly you, personalities dont exist anymore.
Har har har. How witty. domokun
Meaning that she's not goth. Simply dressing goth doesn't make you goth.

That made you sound REALLY stupid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces