Welcome to Gaia! ::

Discuss:

Are "minorities" or "non-minorities" really that intimidating to each other? 0.23076923076923 23.1% [ 3 ]
Conversations that should have ended way too many sentences earlier. 0.076923076923077 7.7% [ 1 ]
Trying too hard. 0.076923076923077 7.7% [ 1 ]
No one likes to be called the infamous "R-word" 0.076923076923077 7.7% [ 1 ]
Background checks. Where can I do them? 0.15384615384615 15.4% [ 2 ]
Other, similar uncomfortable situations. 0.38461538461538 38.5% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 13 ]
1 2 >

So a while ago, I had the opportunity to have lunch with some friends of mine from school. And while we seem to get along relatively well, untimely hiccups seem to find their way into our conversations when I least expect them.

Granted, while I am accustomed to the occasional offensive remark among my peers, I found one of them particularly unnerving recently.

"You're like, one of the only black people that I'm not afraid of."

And while I imagine this must have been intended as a compliment, I must confess that the only words that came to mind were:

"Excuse me?"

So I frowned momentarily; it must have been far too obvious.

Because immediately, he initiates feeble attempts to convey that he is in no way, shape or form, a racist.

"But I'm not racist, or anything like that! I didn't mean it that way. I mean, I love black people. I'm friends with a bunch of them."

Needless to say, I had no intention of making that accusation, but I still wanted to finish my sandwich as soon as possible and make the call home to be picked up.

So once again GD, help me understand something:

Are "minorities" or "non-minorities" really that intimidating to each other?
Conversations that should have ended way too many sentences earlier.
Trying too hard.
No one likes to be called the infamous "R-word"
Background checks. Where can I do them?
Other, similar uncomfortable situations.
When I was little, I used to think black people were just white people who spent too much time in the sun.
Wow. There are certain things people say to me and since I'm black...I'm like: "....should I take that as a compliment....or should I be insulted?"
Lightswitch Raves
When I was little, I used to think black people were just white people who spent too much time in the sun.

3nodding I suppose that's understandable reasoning for a child.
I have tons of black friends. heart
I LOVE MY BLACK PEOPLES! 4laugh

edit**
what's the R word?
my nephew calls black people "basket ball players" lol the shiz cool. cool
Daigashi
Wow. There are certain things people say to me and since I'm black...I'm like: "....should I take that as a compliment....or should I be insulted?"

Those are pretty uncomfortable... sweatdrop
imaginaryleech

edit**
what's the R word?

Redneck?
imaginaryleech

edit**
what's the R word?

That'd be 'racist'. surprised Really? Wow.
Pretentious-b*****d
Daigashi

Yeah....but it's whatever y'know? It's all about being unruffled by the small things and being a bigger man/woman about things.
CaptainObvious
DON'T TRUST THEM NEW NIGGERS, OVER THERE! DON'T TRUST THEM BIG NOSTRILS SUCKIN' UP ALL THE AIR!

*snort snort* cool Boondocks, babeh.
Pretentious-b*****d
imaginaryleech

edit**
what's the R word?

Oh yeah...that too. ninja
Daigashi
Pretentious-b*****d
Daigashi

Yeah....but it's whatever y'know? It's all about being unruffled by the small things and being a bigger man/woman about things.

I suppose it is. This is a strange, unusual world we live in.
Pretentious-b*****d
imaginaryleech

edit**
what's the R word?

he's only 4. lawl.
racist I got it.
I think everyone at one point is racist against another race.
have you seen that one show on dateline?
they set up hidden cameras in a cab and the cab driver is acting like a racists mofo and he tells random people he picks up off the street how he "feels" about other races by putting them down and all that other stuff.
one lady said she wasn't racist and that it's mean that people call Mexicans and blacks the brown people. but when the cab driver said something about asians she immediately said "asians can't tell left from right"
bogus. *2 thumbs down*
I honestly feel compelled to tell them to stop trying so hard. I mean, I'm not going to contest whether they're racist or not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff