Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think?

Nothing 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 4 ]
I agree with you. 0.58823529411765 58.8% [ 10 ]
Your WRONG 0.17647058823529 17.6% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 17 ]

Something that just really gets on my nerves is spelling and grammar! Surely as you can see, some people here have no sense of it at all! Now, for a person other than me it might be different in their case. They want to type fast. They dont care if they spell something wrong. IMing and Texting, is only making a lot of citizens spelling and grammer WORSE! Maybe they weren't brought up for properness and grammar. But, I was! I think it is WRONG! What about you? Explain, and don't criticize me!
I guess I can see your point. I know for me I do try to spell correctly but I also don't stick to proper grammer all the time, especially when I'm talking to a friend.
Though really, people who typ lyk dis or throw the first letter of every word together is just being lazy and it does tick me off.
I completely agree with you. We seem to live in a culture that has no respect for language and manipulates it for a quick and easy style of living. Sure, language evolves through time, but just because people are too lazy to think? I doubt it. It completely annoys me to see an illiterate post - of about 2/3 words - which has been made for the sole reason of getting gold, whilst pretending to express a quick opinion.
No sense in being grammar nazi when what is being written isn't graded or doesn't put a person at risk. Furthermore, worry about yourself and you might just find problems you can solve as opposed to worrying about ones you can't.

By the way contractions use apostrophes (i.e. dont should be don't), IMing and Texting are slang, there is no such thing as "grammer", sentences shouldn't beign with "But", and it is completely illogical for you to believe that it is acceptable to criticize others and expect to not be criticized.

Also there's a missing comma, poor use of pronouns, assumptions presumed as facts. Overal your zealous attempt at creating a topic should be admired for gusto and used primarily as an example of how to not make a topic in ED.

Wealthy Genius

5,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
DiddyMusic
No sense in being grammar nazi when what is being written isn't graded or doesn't put a person at risk. Furthermore, worry about yourself and you might just find problems you can solve as opposed to worrying about ones you can't.

By the way contractions use apostrophes (i.e. dont should be don't), IMing and Texting are slang, there is no such thing as "grammer", sentences shouldn't beign with "But", and it is completely illogical for you to believe that it is acceptable to criticize others and expect to not be criticized.

Also there's a missing comma, poor use of pronouns, assumptions presumed as facts. Overal your zealous attempt at creating a topic should be admired for gusto and used primarily as an example of how to not make a topic in ED.

The fact that your writing isn't being graded is no excuse for posts like,

"omgwtf, ur teh suk becuz i thnk ur jst a dum n00b!"

It's laziness. God forbid someone take two or three extra seconds to actually type out an entire word so everyone can be 100% sure of what they're reading and respond appropriately.

Lord Pica's Princess

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Criticism helps make arguments stronger. Accept the bad with the good, Honey.

One thing you have to realize, this site caters to the PG-13 crowd. That means a lot of the people on here are under fifteen. Not all of them know the rules about grammar, punctuation, and perfect spelling. Some have dyslexia. *raises hand and waves vigorously* Not everybody on here is a complete moron. Granted, some are, but if you don't like what they're saying, ignore them or go to where there are more literate people. It's the internet. People aren't going to change because you told them you thought their spelling sucked. They'll just laugh or flame you.
i don't find it a problem, probaly cause I'm so terrible at it that i cant tell if they miss spelled some thing, and when they do misspell i can still read it with out a problem. but i have a spell check on firefox so all i have to worry about is to spell it good enough for the spell check to give me the proper spelling, and I've been improving because i try to learn the proper spelling when i finally know how its supposed to be spelled
One could also complain about using tiny lavender letters, too.

It's a lost cause, Rainbow, sad to say. It pisses me off, too, but I doubt anything will ever change. I find myself just sighing and ignoring the illiterate posts, where I used to go after them.
Lekonua
DiddyMusic

The fact that your writing isn't being graded is no excuse for posts like,

"omgwtf, ur teh suk becuz i thnk ur jst a dum n00b!"

It's laziness. God forbid someone take two or three extra seconds to actually type out an entire word so everyone can be 100% sure of what they're reading and respond appropriately.

Please forgive me for not writing clearly enough. the lack of reward or punishment isn't an "excuse" for the behavior. It's actually just a "reason" for it. As for laziness (and intelligence), efficiency is considered intelligent. Being about to convey entire sentences in single verbal communication is common in some countries. (i.e. "domo" wink

Well, I suppose the main problem with that quote you wrote is the horrible logic it uses. Sure, I wouldn't want to be surrounded with this "idiot speak", but if it's logical, I can deal with slang. As for people who just don't try to spell words correctly, I'd rather read correctly spelled slang than mispelled words and incorrect grammar.

"htis won dau, i saw too bois kiss adn i wanttd o thorwup"

Granted this has clearly conveyed an event, it is harder, in my opinion.
It used to not drive me crazy, but now it drives me bonkers when I see something like "teh dowg looks @ u"

Also what drives me bonkers is when people write like this so I can't see it.
I personally prefer to use proper spelling and conjugations, but I can be a tad lax on things like apostrophes and capitalizations when I'm typing fast (which is quite often). I'm by no means grammatically inept, though.
Wrong? No.

Ignorant and pointless? Yes.

You will certainly lose credibility with me if you tlk liek dis all tha tiem.

Shirtless Member

I hate chatspeak, the odd 'lol,' 'OMG', or whatever is okay. But as you have said when it's used on every word that isn't already two letters long it's out of hand.

Mind you I don't pretend to have perfect spelling or grammar myself, I'm constantly finding words I don't spell correctly and I'm almost finnished highschool. I do my best and if people don't like it then ******** them ninja

However I do have a picture that somewhat sums up my feelings towards children who don't even show basic knowledge on spelling and grammar.

User Image
When people start using chatspeak and l33tspeak, it really annoys me. There's a difference between typos/occasional mistake and making no effort to appear intelligible. The former is acceptable and the latter I usually ignore.

And I second DiddyMusic's post.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces