Welcome to Gaia! ::

aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
Nope. I live in California and we're in the middle of a major drought. They're actually starting to fine people for participating in the challenge if they get caught.
That makes perfect sense and I'll have to agree with your state for fining people to do that during a serious drought.

Pretty much. Stupid kids wasting good water while our rivers up north are being depleted to the point that the salmon are dying off and toxic algae is taking over. Woohoo!
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
Nope. I live in California and we're in the middle of a major drought. They're actually starting to fine people for participating in the challenge if they get caught.
That makes perfect sense and I'll have to agree with your state for fining people to do that during a serious drought.

Pretty much. Stupid kids wasting good water while our rivers up north are being depleted to the point that the salmon are dying off and toxic algae is taking over. Woohoo!
Have you read on what your state is doing to help with the rivers? Over in NC, this electric company (Duke Energy) does a lot of fracking in our rivers and just this summer coal ash leaked into one of our main rivers, the Dan River and man they ******** it up. It spilled for a good 24 hours before anyone did anything and the electric company probably still isn't doing s**t. They also hadn't paid their taxes for the past 5 years. disfcusdbfvkje
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

Have you read on what your state is doing to help with the rivers? Over in NC, this electric company (Duke Energy) does a lot of fracking in our rivers and just this summer coal ash leaked into one of our main rivers, the Dan River and man they ******** it up. It spilled for a good 24 hours before anyone did anything and the electric company probably still isn't doing s**t. They also hadn't paid their taxes for the past 5 years. disfcusdbfvkje

One of our universities just did a study on it and apparently there's a huge backlog in water allocation and California's basically promised more water to people and companies than it actually has to give. There's a lot of agricultural land in Cali which means we need a lot of water for the crops, but the state's driving water prices up for us and selling the water elsewhere. It's really screwed up. Local farmers are facing huge water bills, which means produce prices are getting hiked up to compensate. The domino effect is crazy :/
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

holy s**t andtheyre still trynig to spin that s**t as safe?
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

One of our universities just did a study on it and apparently there's a huge backlog in water allocation and California's basically promised more water to people and companies than it actually has to give. There's a lot of agricultural land in Cali which means we need a lot of water for the crops, but the state's driving water prices up for us and selling the water elsewhere. It's really screwed up. Local farmers are facing huge water bills, which means produce prices are getting hiked up to compensate. The domino effect is crazy :/
Oh man, I really feel for your local farmers and everyone who is suffering..
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

Me too. The sad part is is that a lot of people just don't care that their wasting of water effects other people's lives. I mean, where I live, we're lucky enough to have an underground reservoir that we draw water from, but without rain to replenish that source, eventually it's gonna run dry. This drought has gone on for something like 3 years-- there's no telling when things'll get better.
Sexy English Teacher
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

I'm sorry i kept thinking it happened this summer but it was actually in February (time flies). It was 39,000 tons of coal ash dude. Like, you could put your hand in the water, take it out and it would be covered in the s**t. We lost so much wildlife. Just recently Duke Energy spilled oil in the Ohio River and even though it only lasted 11 minutes it was worse environmental damage then the coal ash spill. I haven't been to the dan river. I won't go tubing for a long time until I hear definite answer that the coal ash has significantly left the river. But I honestly haven't heard of anything going on about it since april. I just looked up some info on it now and this is the most recent article about them trying to pass a bill. http://www.wral.com/lawmakers-close-deal-on-coal-ash/13906036/

Still no final deal.
aeria floris
Sexy English Teacher
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

I'm sorry i kept thinking it happened this summer but it was actually in February (time flies). It was 39,000 tons of coal ash dude. Like, you could put your hand in the water, take it out and it would be covered in the s**t. We lost so much wildlife. Just recently Duke Energy spilled oil in the Ohio River and even though it only lasted 11 minutes it was worse environmental damage then the coal ash spill. I haven't been to the dan river. I won't go tubing for a long time until I hear definite answer that the coal ash has significantly left the river. But I honestly haven't heard of anything going on about it since april. I just looked up some info on it now and this is the most recent article about them trying to pass a bill. http://www.wral.com/lawmakers-close-deal-on-coal-ash/13906036/

Still no final deal.
dont expect much

fossil fuel companies vs local government is like a marine strangling a baby with no arms
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody
aeria floris
Opaline Rhapsody

Me too. The sad part is is that a lot of people just don't care that their wasting of water effects other people's lives. I mean, where I live, we're lucky enough to have an underground reservoir that we draw water from, but without rain to replenish that source, eventually it's gonna run dry. This drought has gone on for something like 3 years-- there's no telling when things'll get better.
I wish people did care more. I remember somebody posting a topic on here about the drought and how they saw their neighbor using their hose to clean their car and wash off their patio or something. I think it's difficult for people to grasp the importance of conservation. Whether it's water, our forests, our wildlife. Anything. People can't grasp that without what the Earth provides us; there won't be "us". At least, things will become significantly harder to survive.
Opaline Rhapsody

Why don't you people out west stop eating beef? That requires way more water than these challenges.
No.
I praise anyone who does it and actually donates, but most people I know through social websites, college, etc, have done it for attention.
nig stole my bike again
Opaline Rhapsody

Why don't you people out west stop eating beef? That requires way more water than these challenges.

Well, I couldn't find any super recent statistics for ya, but according to the California Department of Food and Agriculture our exports of dairy products went up by 88% and beef products by 43% just from 2008 to 2010 alone. What that means is while we may produce a lot of dairy and beef, we aren't consuming a good portion of it.

Aged Gaian

I just did mine few min. ago I'm still cold ;w; my proof is on facebook
my boss is doing one tonight and he said he's nominating me...he can get ********

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff