Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can you call people you know online 'friends'?

Yes 0.79209979209979 79.2% [ 381 ]
No 0.20790020790021 20.8% [ 100 ]
Total Votes:[ 481 ]
1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 >

Fuzzy Sex Symbol

18,850 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
I'm having this debate with my boyfriend who never really uses the internet, and he thinks that people you only know on the internet can't be 'friends'. He's under the impression that if you don't know then IRL then they don't count.

I've known some people on the internet for a few years and consider them to be my 'friends' But I want to hear what other people think on the situation because I'm curious if I'm the only one who thinks people over the internet can be called 'friends'.
hmmm..i suppose they could be called this if you've known them for a while 3nodding i think they would be considered only people you know if you only talk to them every once in a while
It depends on the person. Personally, I'd say no because I never let anyone I meet online know anything about me except for the most basic stuff. Some people go all out, however, and make eal friends over the net.
I think it is POSSIBLE, but I don't think it is alltogether healthy.
Yeah, I think it's definitely possible. I mean, sure, there's that chance that the person you are talking to is a liar, etc etc., but you still are talking to this person. I've shared some things with strictly online friends, because they wouldn't directly influence my life, and it really helped. Of course, I consider it different from off-line friends...Sometimes you need that physical face-to-face thing to make it work.
The bottom line (At least in my opinion) is...Yes, they can be friends, just a different kind. ^^"

Dangerous Genius

9,150 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Citizen 200
I think they can be called friends if you enjoy being in contact with them and stay in contact with them. It's alike a pen pal. If you have a pen pal in a foriegn country, they could be your friend, although you have never met. I have to agree with you on this one.
This is like saying "Can two blind people be friends?" Both may not be able to see each other, and in the case of AIM both may not be able to hear each other, but they can still be friends right?
A few of the people that I consider to be very close friends are people I met online. One of whom I've been speaking to for the past...6 years or so, and two others for about 5 years, give or take. So screw off to anyone who says they're not my friends. I've been through just as much stuff with them with any of my friends I know in person.

Fuzzy Sex Symbol

18,850 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
My point excatly...Yes it's unheathy to just have internet friends. But people don't understand that people on aim are just like pen-pals ^^

I don't understand how it's hard to understand the concept of online friends. Although if you never used the internet I can kinda understand it but it gets generally annoying if they try to fource there opionion on you and they have no backing on the topic... sweatdrop
^_^??? i think you can have friends without ever meeting them... friendships/relationships are more of a mental thing than a physical thing?

you're not friends with someone you see everyday, it's more important that you talk and understand each other and spend time together whether online or not

i still consider my far away college buddies (who i haven't seen in forever) some of my closest friends crying i still miss them though
I'd say you could, mostly because I do. I have Internet friends in Cincinnati, Detroit, Canada, The Netherlands, and France (I live in Washington State).
Soarin`
I'm having this debate with my boyfriend who never really uses the internet, and he thinks that people you only know on the internet can't be 'friends'. He's under the impression that if you don't know then IRL then they don't count.

I've known some people on the internet for a few years and consider them to be my 'friends' But I want to hear what other people think on the situation because I'm curious if I'm the only one who thinks people over the internet can be called 'friends'.
yeah! of course^^ i have some friends on the internet too. but i dont call them or give them my address. now u cant be sure who is gonna be a stalker or not.

Fuzzy Sex Symbol

18,850 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
jaded1004
i still consider my far away college buddies (who i haven't seen in forever) some of my closest friends crying i still miss them though

But you knew them irl before talking with them over aim...I'm talking more about meeting somebody strictly online.... 3nodding
Well...I think they can't really be called your friend.....beacuase they could've lied about everything...people do say they have online boyfriends/girlfriends but I don't think they could actually be called a friend. *shrugs*
i believe they can be called your 'friend'. i call my online buddies my friends because i feel a connection with them and i feel safe talking to them about things whether they be serious or silly.
The true answer would be No. Unless you know them personally you DONT know them. Say you meet a guy on the internet and he wants to be your boyfriend. For all you know, despite pics, age, and other info he sends to you, he could be a 40 year old man with bad intentions. Thats why its a VERY bad idea to give out in-depth information over the internet.

The most they could be called is acquaintances

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces