Welcome to Gaia! ::

Britain has had a very serious Conquest Complex. Everywhere they have "conquered", they have treated the people like crap. And they always lose when the country in question rebels.

DIscuss

Britain's Conquest complex

Conquest Complex's in general.
Yeah but look at em now.
ElDestructo
Yeah but look at em now.

There own greed was their downfall. Kind of Cliche'
Generally, any country that colonises any other tends to treat the native people like s**t. France, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium all had empires of varying sizes during the 19th century, and none of them were exactly shining examples of human rights.
Ditto Russia in the 20th century. Or the USA today. We Brits don't have a monopoly on being arseholes, you know.
Jedi_Soul
ElDestructo
Yeah but look at em now.

No it wasn't. The First World War was the downfall of the British Empire, and that was the fault of several nations in Europe, Britain being just one of them. After that we were too busy struggling to pay our debts to fuss about that world-owning business. Our greed didn't have much to do with it, really.
Spatterdash
Jedi_Soul
ElDestructo
Yeah but look at em now.

No it wasn't. The First World War was the downfall of the British Empire, and that was the fault of several nations in Europe, Britain being just one of them. After that we were too busy struggling to pay our debts to fuss about that world-owning business. Our greed didn't have much to do with it, really.

I say downfall. I mean...Not getting bigger...
Spatterdash
Jedi_Soul
ElDestructo
Yeah but look at em now.

I really didn't even want to insinuate that Britain has fallen or even that they deserved it.

I just made a blanket statement - with subtexts surprised

Not only are they not as huge and powerful any longer but they no longer resort to their old imperialistic-conquest tactics as stated in the first post exclaim
British people don't like Cotin... crying

O.G. Elder

1,100 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
I have explained on many an occasion why you are so wrong, and if I wasnt so tired right now, Id do it again, but basicly what Spatterdash wrote is correct.
Jedi_Soul
Spatterdash
Jedi_Soul
ElDestructo
Yeah but look at em now.

I say downfall. I mean...Not getting bigger...

I know what downfall means. After the First World War, Britain's empire shrunk because we didn't have the resources to maintain an empire any more.

O.G. Elder

1,100 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
And another thing, if as you think it is greed that was our fine empires downfall, then what exactly are the leaders of america being, in relation to the middle east "problem" ?
If i didn't know any better i'd say you all dislike British people. I get more and more evidence of this as i browse the forums.

Don't judge what you don't know.
Forumsman
And another thing, if as you think it is greed that was our fine empires downfall, then what exactly are the leaders of america being, in relation to the middle east "problem" ?

*quoted for emphasis*
Um, Britain has shrugged off the conquering crap and given back most of its colonies.

I'd like to see the US do the same with Hawaii. rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces