Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Smoker

I looked it up and there seems to be two answers. Sand the entire thing down and re-paint it, or use a rust converter. Since the area is small, no bigger than a dime, I'm wondering which method I should use? Or should I do both...?

Like I said, the spot is tiny, but I don't want it to spread and turn into a bigger problem.

Enduring Friend

You cant convert rust. Once metal has oxidized, it's oxidized. Plain and simple, thats it.

You cant sand it down and repaint it. Sheet metal used for cars is no more than a few millimetres thick. The rust is fully penetrated through the metal 90% of the time, so you'll be making a hole. I dont think you can paint on air, can you?

You have another two options.

Sand it out and bondo the area, and paint over it.

Sand it out and reweld another piece of sheet metal and paint it.

I'd go with the first one as it's such a minor spot that welding wouldnt be worth the trouble.

Dapper Hunter

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Actually, Rust-Oleum makes a product called rust reformer that is supposed to turn rust into a non-rusting surface, and most rat rod guys will swear by a product known as POR-15, which is proven to immediately stop rust and prevent rust without cracking or chipping.

The best fix for a little surface rust on a body panel is to take a wire brush and some apple cider vinegar. Pour a little of the vinegar on the spot that's rusted, scrub with wire brush, repeat until shiny metal shows through. Buy the smallest container of Bondo Body Filler and Cream Hardener that you can get, follow instructions and apply a conservative amount to the spot, sand, wet sand, find the touch up paint for your car and paint over your bondo spot.

Fashionable Fatcat

Get a new panel if you dont feel like trying to repair it.

The laziest way to go, probably more expensive
but less trouble.
por 15 does not work. tried it, friends have tried it. rust came back through after a year.

rust is like cancer, once you get it, its really hard to get rid of.
i had a small spot on my rocker, cut out around it with a cutting wheel. rust hasnt spread.
the other rocker has developed a similar spot, i left it, its now bigger than the area that i cut out on the other side.
Princezz Brianna
I looked it up and there seems to be two answers. Sand the entire thing down and re-paint it, or use a rust converter. Since the area is small, no bigger than a dime, I'm wondering which method I should use? Or should I do both...?

Like I said, the spot is tiny, but I don't want it to spread and turn into a bigger problem.

Rust is...well...rust. Once it starts you can't really just "cover it" it will still spread either way. If it's a light surface rust, use a fine grit sand paper and get off as much as you can, plus a little extra of the paint of the entire circumference (just to be safe). Auto stores sell tiny bottles with brushes or pens to do small paint touch ups. They do it by car model and the paint number should be on a sticker on the inside of the door so the bottles are easy to find and match. If you want to be real fancy you can clear coat it to help it blend in.
Now if it rusted clear through, You can bondo it. In my case, I stuck a small bead of welt on the hole with my TIG welder (set to low settings of course) and ground down the weld with a little flex-wheel on a grinder. For more precision, you could use a little die grinder with a sanding cylinder or a fine fluted rotary file. Any welder will work really. Just set the voltage low and give it a little tack and handy work it flat with grinders and files, good as new.
elemein
You cant convert rust. Once metal has oxidized, it's oxidized. Plain and simple, thats it.

You cant sand it down and repaint it. Sheet metal used for cars is no more than a few millimetres thick. The rust is fully penetrated through the metal 90% of the time, so you'll be making a hole. I dont think you can paint on air, can you?

You have another two options.

Sand it out and bondo the area, and paint over it.

Sand it out and reweld another piece of sheet metal and paint it.

I'd go with the first one as it's such a minor spot that welding wouldnt be worth the trouble.

Seeing how it's no bigger than a dime, cutting out and welding on a new sheet would probably do more bad instead of good. Most wire/rod will be plenty big enough to dab a little bead over the small hole and then grind or file down to a flat finish. Probably the best bet would be pulsing a TIG on low amperage so you have an almost unnoticeable heat affected zone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff