DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Iam WhoIAm
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm
So a stupid question, but I'm not a car person
What is the real difference between awd and 4wd?
I know one is on all the time and one is 2wd most the time unless turned on, but are there other differences than that?

Found a hybrid suv that gets nearly 30 mpg which is pretty good for an suv.
Ford Escape hybrid, the 2007 model is awd and the 2008 model is 4x4
I don't have to make a decision until next week, but still, I'm hoping to get some test drives in this week on my one day off work

4x4 and 4WD aren't necessarily the same thing

2x4: 2 of the 4 wheels are driving wheels
4x4: 4 of the 4 wheels are driving wheels
4WD: You are able to switch between 2 driving wheels or 4 driving wheels
AWD: This s**t is complicated nowadays, but to put it simply you have no control over whether or not the car has 2 or 4 driving wheels

Or in a modern AWD system, 1, 2, 3 or 4 driving wheels

So avoid 4wd or 4x4 is better i think, I'd rather have control of how many or at least know what is going on with the wheels instead of the car making that decision for me...especially in snow and ice.
Thanks smile

Don't make the mistake of thinking you always know better than the car
Jus saying

Point taken
Just wouldn't want the car to try and correct something I'm manually correcting.
I saw anyone that the 4wd one says it has intelligent 4 wheel drive, which sounds like it's basically the same as awd. I'm sure it's something I would get used to. I've never had anything but fwd

I have AWC right now
I must say it is GOD

but just as with most advanced AWD systems, you can turn it off and turn it into a regular AWD car

It requires a little faith and some practice working with it

With AWC, you just need to not be a little puss-puss and have faith that it'll take care of things and put power to the wheel or wheels it needs to. trying to fix something that it's already trying to fix normally results in you just making things worse

Hilarious Humorist

21,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm
So a stupid question, but I'm not a car person
What is the real difference between awd and 4wd?
I know one is on all the time and one is 2wd most the time unless turned on, but are there other differences than that?

Found a hybrid suv that gets nearly 30 mpg which is pretty good for an suv.
Ford Escape hybrid, the 2007 model is awd and the 2008 model is 4x4
I don't have to make a decision until next week, but still, I'm hoping to get some test drives in this week on my one day off work

4x4 and 4WD aren't necessarily the same thing

2x4: 2 of the 4 wheels are driving wheels
4x4: 4 of the 4 wheels are driving wheels
4WD: You are able to switch between 2 driving wheels or 4 driving wheels
AWD: This s**t is complicated nowadays, but to put it simply you have no control over whether or not the car has 2 or 4 driving wheels

Or in a modern AWD system, 1, 2, 3 or 4 driving wheels

So avoid 4wd or 4x4 is better i think, I'd rather have control of how many or at least know what is going on with the wheels instead of the car making that decision for me...especially in snow and ice.
Thanks smile

Jus saying

Point taken
Just wouldn't want the car to try and correct something I'm manually correcting.
I saw anyone that the 4wd one says it has intelligent 4 wheel drive, which sounds like it's basically the same as awd. I'm sure it's something I would get used to. I've never had anything but fwd

I have AWC right now
I must say it is GOD

but just as with most advanced AWD systems, you can turn it off and turn it into a regular AWD car

With AWC, you just need to not be a little puss-puss and have faith that it'll take care of things and put power to the wheel or wheels it needs to. trying to fix something that it's already trying to fix normally results in you just making things worse

I see, so I'll just have to get used to having the car help me out.
After 10 years of front wheel drive, it might be nice
Will be getting the car next week smile
Thanks for all your knowledge sharing mrgreen

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Iam WhoIAm
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm
Crimmy Sun
Iam WhoIAm

Thanks smile

Jus saying

Point taken

I have AWC right now
I must say it is GOD

I see, so I'll just have to get used to having the car help me out.
After 10 years of front wheel drive, it might be nice
Will be getting the car next week smile
Thanks for all your knowledge sharing mrgreen

No problem, feel free to ask questions anytime

Philosophizing Essence

36,525 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I don't really know a lot about cars... but the tires are a good choice in your case.
I hope it goes well.

Hilarious Humorist

21,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
So I didn't get the awd hybrid because it was sold
but as of today I now have an awd subaru baja
fiesta!
fiesta!
go for the fiesta!

Quick Reply