Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I've been searching for that perfect bag FOREVER.
I have one right now that works pretty good, except for the fact that it's increasingly obvious I need more room in my bag and some pockets, because I'm sick of fishing for my pencils at the bottom.

So I came up with this great idea... I'd make my own!
I've only been able to find bags that either were what I needed with pockets and stuff, but didn't look like how I wanted it to... and vice versa. The one I have now is almost what I want my bag to look like, but I sacrificed capacity for that one.

ANYWAY, to my problem: I don't have a sewing machine. Not for this kind of project, anyway.
The one I have is an ancient, 30+ year-old machine that hasn't been serviced in many years. If you try to put thicker fabric through it (I'm thinking toward canvas or cotton duck for my bag), it'll just bunch up and get stuck.

So the question is: should I abandon this project or is there another way?
I have most of my background in hand sewing stuff. If it was possible to hand-construct this, I'd go for it. The amount of time doesn't really bother me, but I don't know if I could produce quality stitches for a bag that needs to be heavy-duty.
I am also very strapped for cash. I hardly have enough to afford the supplies for this project, let alone a new machine. I don't think I could afford the kind of industrial machine I would apparently need... but if there's an affordable machine out there, please tell me.

Hell, if there's any kind of modifications I could make to this machine (it's a Kenmore; I don't know exactly what model at the moment, but remember it's really old) to make this work, then I'm up for it.

I'm just frustrated that I've spent over half a year searching for a bag to come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna have to make my own, only to find that I won't be able to do it because I don't have a machine that works for this. ;n;

4,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
I would suggest buying a bag with overall capacity and the looks you want, then sewing to add pockets inside as you need them. Those pockets should not require as much durability as the overall bag requirement.

I have only ever hand sewn my bags back together after the seams rip and while they work for a small rip I , like you am unsure of a completely hand sewn heavy duty bag.

For me, what bag I have made, have been with crochet. With thick yarn you should be able to make a bag the size you want. Actually you could even overlay the yarn with cloth of whatever texture you want so it would be like a false front, the heavy yarn would bear most of the weight and you would sew the front to the pattern and design you like and you can either sew, or further crochet pockets to the bag.
if you really want to make this, then ask friends if they have sewing machines at home, and borrow theirs. also, remember you can always modify exsisting bags.
You can always do what I did, classi. Go around the to thrift stores and look for a cheap machine. There are also liquidation places you can check. The machine i got at the thrift store was $30, probably around 30 years old, and it works just fine. There's a few minor problems, but I've had it for 3 years and it still works. I've not had to service it once.

I'm not saying you'll get as lucky, but it's worth a shot.
I did consider modifying a bag. I was looking for bags that were kinda what I had in mind, but it got to the point that the modifications would start to outweigh the worth of it all. D:
I suppose I'm just insanely picky. > n>; But I do want to spend my money and time on a bag that I'll be really happy with and not get bored/sick of in a few months.

Orli: I haven't been to a thrift shop in years (I can't remember where they are, haha!) but I'll have to keep that in mind. There is a surplus store nearby and they do sell lots of things there...
Surplus is good too. Any place that sells items cheaper due to bulk or out of business is a good place to look.
You could make it by hand Classi, I have made a few things that have heald togeather well.
Get yourself a big needle with a big eye, nothing riddiculous, but substantial. I am in favor of using more than one bit of thread since regular thread is easier to find around here than heavy stuff. I just unwind a whole bunch and cut it into equal lengths and thread it through all togeather. (4 pieces seems to be enough) I would make double seams and take extra care with my knots. You will probably want a thimble for this even if you dont normally wear one. Pushing through thick material without one is asking for trouble.

Good luck with the bag
rayz: Yeah, I was figuring I could always do something just like that. o: I usually double-seam everything as it is, since I'm always paranoid about durability. XD

But I think I may have found a sewing machine with good access (my friend has a reeeeeeally nice one), so I think my question is happily solved! Thanks for the advice, guys. :>

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff