Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
i'm using a brother xl 2600...if it matters...and the top thread keeps getting stuck on the bottom when the needle goes down to grab the bobbin thread. i dunno what's going on. i've been having issues with it since yesterday. part of the way through sewing a bag and then all of a sudden the bottom thread started looping. so i figure it's time for a cleaning. i get out my dust brush, get rid of all the little dust bunnies in there, and then reassemble. now it just gets stuck instead of looping like before. DX

i heard that it may need oiling, but what do i oil? the manual says nothing about oiling it from what i've read. just to not oil the bobbin case. if anyone has any solutions, please let me know! heart
Starting to think it's the upper tension too high. On 3 or 4 it snaps the thread and on 0 it's still really tough to get the thread out.
My advice, given that I have not owned a Brother in years, and do not plan to ever own one again, is to take it into a shop and get the basic maintenance done. Tell them specifically what's going on, and they'll fix it. Messing around with your machine when you don't know exactly what you're doing is a sure recipe for a hefty repair bill.

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Be sure to experiment with tension and try putting a fresh needle in place of the old one. It wouldn't hurt to take a can of air to it, just to make sure any loose bits of thread aren't stuck where they don't belong.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
AndreaHarper
My advice, given that I have not owned a Brother in years, and do not plan to ever own one again, is to take it into a shop and get the basic maintenance done. Tell them specifically what's going on, and they'll fix it. Messing around with your machine when you don't know exactly what you're doing is a sure recipe for a hefty repair bill.

i did and it costs $100 for them to fix anything wrong with it. i just gave up with the hunk of crap and got a new machine. i will never buy a brother product again.

Lychee Fruit
Be sure to experiment with tension and try putting a fresh needle in place of the old one. It wouldn't hurt to take a can of air to it, just to make sure any loose bits of thread aren't stuck where they don't belong.

yeah, that was the first thing i tried was messing with the tension, cleaning the dust bunnies out, new needle etc etc. nothing worked. and with the repair bill, i figured it might be better to just get a new one. no machine is worth fixing if the repairs cost more than the machine. DX
XMegantronX
i just gave up with the hunk of crap and got a new machine. i will never buy a brother product again.

Good plan. My old Brother was named 'that piece of crap.' Go for a Janome, if you have the money. I have two, and they've never once malfunctioned.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
AndreaHarper
XMegantronX
i just gave up with the hunk of crap and got a new machine. i will never buy a brother product again.

Good plan. My old Brother was named 'that piece of crap.' Go for a Janome, if you have the money. I have two, and they've never once malfunctioned.

My budget is pretty tight, so I went with a babylock bl9. It's simple, but sterdy and does the job. Wanna save up for a serger next and maybe an embroidery machine. XDD but that'll be a while.

And yeah, my brother was named "piece of s**t". Giving it to a friend if I can fix it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff