Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Good day, peeps! I have never dyed clothing before and I want some questions answered before I spend a penny and begin the project.

First off, I am trying to use 2 dyes to create the same striped pants my OC wears in the Rockband games. Here's a picture of him in the 3rd game. However, I am against buying clothes from commercial department stores and clothing stores because the prices are too damn high and I have plus sized thighs with toned calves (in other words, there's not enough places selling plus sized stuff!). With that said, my best option is to get white jeans for a cheap price at a thrift store unless I luck out and find fitting lime green non-pajama pants.

My plan is to dye the white jeans to a bold, lime green color with the hot water in the bucket kind of dye and then use black spray fabric dye to create the stripes with the help of cardboard and painter's tape, just like in this tutorial.

So my questions are...

1. Can a pair of white jeans made from 96% cotton and 4% spandex be dyed twice this way?

2. What are the best dyes I could buy for this project?

3. Will there be changes to the laundry care instructions after the deed is done?

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bump! I need to know before December.

Lady Bibliophile

If the fabric is mostly cotton and starts white it should take dye pretty well. I would probably recommend a union dye like rit because they are by far going to be the cheapest and easiest dyes to get your hands on. They don't have a lime green but their apple green might work, it is possible to mix different shades to get a specific color but it takes a lot of time, a lot of fabric swatches, and a bit of dye.

Hope that helps any...

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
sprite_of_the_shadows

Alrighty. I do have 2 more questions. One: Is Simply Spray a good brand of spray dye? Two: can I dye it green and then spray dye without any worries for wash-outs?

Lady Bibliophile

I've never played with spray dye. i have a background in theatrical costuming, what i would use for stripes i won't suggest because it's prohibitively expensive and pretty hard to get. However as long as you follow the directions on the package a union dye, like rit, should be pretty color fast through a couple of washes....

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
sprite_of_the_shadows
I've never played with spray dye. i have a background in theatrical costuming, what i would use for stripes i won't suggest because it's prohibitively expensive and pretty hard to get. However as long as you follow the directions on the package a union dye, like rit, should be pretty color fast through a couple of washes....

I think I'll have my older sister use her air brush set as long as I pay for the fabric paint. She needs the experience because she plans on making and selling fursuit things like paw hands.

Thank you for the help.
(Out of curiosity, what do you have to do to make stripes there?)

Lady Bibliophile

If you know someone with an air brush you might try dye-na-flow its a heat set paint/dye. Sometimes sold at like fabric stores, but i know you can order it from Joann Fabrics website. It haa a good consistency for spraying, but its more opaque then dye.

I'd probably consider using oil paint sticks on black but they're going for 6 bucks a stick right now, they're hard to get I've only found them at specialty websites , and it take at least a couple sticks...

For you I'd try for getting the lime green with rit and then add the lines over top with an air brush and a thinner fabric paint.

Sexy Goat

30,600 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
sprite_of_the_shadows
If you know someone with an air brush you might try dye-na-flow its a heat set paint/dye. Sometimes sold at like fabric stores, but i know you can order it from Joann Fabrics website. It haa a good consistency for spraying, but its more opaque then dye.

I'd probably consider using oil paint sticks on black but they're going for 6 bucks a stick right now, they're hard to get I've only found them at specialty websites , and it take at least a couple sticks...

For you I'd try for getting the lime green with rit and then add the lines over top with an air brush and a thinner fabric paint.

Sounds good. I 'll let my sister know. Thanks again. I'll show you pictures when I'm done.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff