Welcome to Gaia! ::

If for no other reason than I can't find a copy of Whitewolf's Aberrant anywhere. I'm looking for a flexible system, preferably one that can be found online and is free, that supports a multitude of different powers. Balance isn't an issue, because I can work on that myself. I just need a base to start from. If there's another ready-made superhero RPG out there other than Aberrant, I'd like to hear about it, too.
The Feist
If for no other reason than I can't find a copy of Whitewolf's Aberrant anywhere. I'm looking for a flexible system, preferably one that can be found online and is free, that supports a multitude of different powers. Balance isn't an issue, because I can work on that myself. I just need a base to start from. If there's another ready-made superhero RPG out there other than Aberrant, I'd like to hear about it, too.

You have been beaten to it...many, many times.

First off, there is a superhero game made by Herogames. Its a 1d10+Skill system. Its simple and fun, but hella expensive (around $50 for the book).

Its counterpart, Fuzion, is free and online but doesn't have as much out for it.
www.mecha.com/~conkle

I think thats the best website out there.
If you want any data on Fuzion, send me a PM (or IM me throughAIM) and I will see what I can do for you.
I didn't think I was the first; in fact, I was counting on being pretty much dead last in the line of people who thought this'd be a neat idea. I figure I can run a pretty decent game so long as I'm sitting on the shoulders of a few giants who came before me with awesome stuff.
I know I'm gonna catch flak for this...but have you considered Abberant D20?

Lacking that, Yes! Fuzion is a good thing...And Hero System can be good but the book is confusing as heck to me...It's a whole lot of number crunching but in the end it is the most flexible game I have ever seen...EVER
A few tweeks to D20 Modern and away you go...

BESM/Tri-Stat is a good simple way to make Superheros...

Silver Age Sentenels also exists as both Tri-Stat and D20 systems, that's a good origional four-colour superhero stylee game!
(Although I'd reccomend the Tri-Stat verson.. Because it works... The guys who 'converted' it to D20, did so rather lazily, with some powers reading exactly the same as their Tri-Stat counterparts... completly ignoring the D20 rules in some places!)

Marvel Super Heros also exists as a game. Although I've a feeling it's an off-shoot of another system.

Good luck.. be be very careful.... Superheros are, by definition, overpowered... the whole thing can be broken very easily, and often by accident!
FUDGE is free, and do anything you need it to. www.fudgerpg.com I think.
otherwise google it.
Kev3480
A few tweeks to D20 Modern and away you go...

BESM/Tri-Stat is a good simple way to make Superheros...

Silver Age Sentenels also exists as both Tri-Stat and D20 systems, that's a good origional four-colour superhero stylee game!
(Although I'd reccomend the Tri-Stat verson.. Because it works... The guys who 'converted' it to D20, did so rather lazily, with some powers reading exactly the same as their Tri-Stat counterparts... completly ignoring the D20 rules in some places!)

Marvel Super Heros also exists as a game. Although I've a feeling it's an off-shoot of another system.

Good luck.. be be very careful.... Superheros are, by definition, overpowered... the whole thing can be broken very easily, and often by accident!

D`oh! I completely forgot about those!

The Tri-stat system is really good if you have the right resources to do it. Also, there is alot of d20 stuff out there in general that you can work with. Ya know, you can just grant a character a single spell like power at level 1 in a D20 Modern game and...
wink

But I still think Fuzion gives you the most leeway with character creation. biggrin
Look at all the options! surprised You guys are great.
I've been trying to make something like this too. I'm liking these suggestions, but I don't own D20 Modern. All I play is D&D v3.5 and AD&D. Any suggestions?
Let's see...

For free stuff there's Tri-Stat dX, which is basically a more generic version of the system used for BESM and Silver Age of Sentinels.

For other free systems check out dmoz.org's section on free RPGs.

The current Marvel RPG has gotten really *bad* reviews all around, and Marvel (which supposedly employs some suits who are out of their minds because they thought a poorly-designed system with minimal playtesting would outsell d20) has canceled it. The two earlier ones (both from TSR) have a certain following, but will be pretty hard to find.

From what I've heard, Mutants & Masterminds is a very good system for superheroes; it's an extremely modified form of d20 (no classes, damage saves instead of hp, etc.), and it costs around $35 for the main rulebook.
Sitting Boi
I've been trying to make something like this too. I'm liking these suggestions, but I don't own D20 Modern. All I play is D&D v3.5 and AD&D. Any suggestions?

If you are really desperate, you can try this.

First off, make everyone play as a human. Then, if they want a variety of superpowers, grant them some of the racial bonuses (appearances option). Like say you wanna make "Liman!" (no clue, work with me here).

For special powers, he wants to Fly, See in the dark, and shoot lazers from his eyes.
You can give him flight X times per day (where X is equal to the power that he has access too...more on that in a moment), give him the ability of darkvision, and then grant him an attack that does Xd4, where X = 1/2 his level, rounded down.

Now, to give them access to these powers, you can either have them lose HP, set up a Power Point (PP) system, or use the Vitality Point system that is used in Star Wars d20 (which a character loses vitality when they are hit and use Force powers. They have a set HP of their con, Vitality is what goes up instead).

I know it looks annoying, to work with, but I did a 2nd Ed mod for a YYHK styled fighter, and it worked rather well (they gained abilities and sacked HP for it all.

If you need more ideas, don't be afraid to PM/IM me. I am willing to help anyone with roleplaying (since it is a large portion of my life lol). It would be easier to discuss in an IM where I can get feedback for the random idea off the fly (like above). So, feel free biggrin
Oh, another option is Heros 5th edition.
www.herogames.com

I love that system, one of my favorites for Superheros. No wait, It is the best system for superheros! And I'm very biased, I hate superheros. And I like the system.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff