Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am playing in A D&D 3.5 game and would like to know how to play as a monster class, i don't understand how the La/monster levels work? can some one help me on this?

Original Gaian

To play a monster race [specifically ones with racial hit dice and/or level adjustment], you just add their racial hit dice and level adjustment together, and at THAT level, you can start gaining class levels.

Minotaurs, for example [since I love me some minotaurs] have six racial hit dice [monstrous humanoid, which you can look up the BAB, skills per level, and saves here], as well as two level adjustment. This means when you play a minotaur, your first 8 levels are reserved for the minotaur "levels" [the 6 hit dice, and two levels where you basically get nothing other than level adjustment]. Your first class level can be taken at level 9.

Races like Drow simply have +2 level adjustment and nothing else. This means they are treated as a level 3 PC when they have their first class level [since they lack racial hit dice].

Further details can be found here.
SufferingPlanet
To play a monster race [specifically ones with racial hit dice and/or level adjustment], you just add their racial hit dice and level adjustment together, and at THAT level, you can start gaining class levels.

Minotaurs, for example [since I love me some minotaurs] have six racial hit dice [monstrous humanoid, which you can look up the BAB, skills per level, and saves here], as well as two level adjustment. This means when you play a minotaur, your first 8 levels are reserved for the minotaur "levels" [the 6 hit dice, and two levels where you basically get nothing other than level adjustment]. Your first class level can be taken at level 9.

Races like Drow simply have +2 level adjustment and nothing else. This means they are treated as a level 3 PC when they have their first class level [since they lack racial hit dice].

i just like to ask two more things

first are giants playable ( i had an idea for a giant warhulk)

also how do you do monster classes with a gestalt game?

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Crazy Judit
SufferingPlanet

yum_tea Technically any monstrous creature with an INT score higher than a house cat would be playable (though not all classes will be open to them if they still have an INT below 10), providing that your DM allows for such things. Not every DM is willing to work with monster PCs; the closest you might get with your average DM is being allowed to play a Tiefling, a Drow, or a normal race with the Draconic or Half-Dragon templates. I personally wouldn't mind having a giant in a game I ran, and not many of my DMs would mind such a thing, either. Just keep in mind the difficulties inherent in roleplaying a giant in a society built by and for smaller creatures.

As for gestalt games, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I've never played a gestalt before. Can anyone else chime in?
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Crazy Judit
SufferingPlanet

yum_tea Technically any monstrous creature with an INT score higher than a house cat would be playable (though not all classes will be open to them if they still have an INT below 10), providing that your DM allows for such things. Not every DM is willing to work with monster PCs; the closest you might get with your average DM is being allowed to play a Tiefling, a Drow, or a normal race with the Draconic or Half-Dragon templates. I personally wouldn't mind having a giant in a game I ran, and not many of my DMs would mind such a thing, either. Just keep in mind the difficulties inherent in roleplaying a giant in a society built by and for smaller creatures.

As for gestalt games, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I've never played a gestalt before. Can anyone else chime in?

can you tell me what level i'd need to be in a game to start playing a giant?

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Crazy Judit
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Crazy Judit
SufferingPlanet

yum_tea Not right off hand. Look in the Monster Manual and see what racial hit dice and/or level adjust a giant would have, and go from there.
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Crazy Judit
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Crazy Judit
SufferingPlanet

yum_tea Not right off hand. Look in the Monster Manual and see what racial hit dice and/or level adjust a giant would have, and go from there.

sorry for asking so many things i'm just curious.

so if the La was 4 and the giant gained 10D10 Hd then i'd would start being able to play it at level 14? or am i doing the math wrong?

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Crazy Judit
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Crazy Judit
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Crazy Judit
SufferingPlanet

sorry for asking so many things i'm just curious.

so if the La was 4 and the giant gained 10D10 Hd then i'd would start being able to play it at level 14? or am i doing the math wrong?

yum_tea Technically you can play it before then, but you wouldn't be able to take any classes until level 15 because your first 10 levels will be racial hd and the next 4 would be level adjust.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff