Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
So if you pay attention to WotC and spoilers, you know that something very important happened to Magic's story today.

We finally found out who the Lithomancer is.

This is actually pretty huge, if you're not into Magic lore. On Zendikar, there were 3 walkers that sealed away the Eldrazi: Sorin, Ugin and the Lithomancer. And for years we have no idea who that last planewalker was. Because this is such big news, the large influx of people wanting to read the article with her story actually caused the server to crash. Sooo I can't read the story until the site comes back up.

What bothers me, is that she is featured in Worldwake as Stoneforge Mystic. She was a plain, nameless creature. And her second walker ability is essentially a copy and paste of her activated ability with the addition of the graveyard - for the same cost, convenient enough. Her walker card, though, displays absolutely no abilities that seem good enough to seal away the Eldrazi.

And if she was on Zendikar at the time, why was she not present as a major character in Zendikar's storyline when Nissa was dicking around while Sorin was actually trying to fix s**t?

Her card is a good one, but I can't help but admit that I feel incredibly let down by the whole ordeal. I was really hoping for the Lithomancer to be so much more. And I was sort of expecting Serra to be the white walker, tbh.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
Wizards' site is back up. Here's the link. The story itself isn't bad, though if All is Dust is on a different plane than Zendikar then why are there hedrons all over the place?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/lithomancer-2014-10-29

Feral Lunatic

I doubt she's the stoneforge mystic... rather the mystics are actually her disciples from long ago. And as for the not displaying eldrazi stopping powers on her card that's not really surprising. When she and sorin and ugin stopped the eldrazi in the first place the events of the timespiral block hadn't occurred yet. The spark of the planeswalker was much stronger and made them essentially gods. This is kinda why nicol bolas is being more pissy than he usually is. He's mad cause he's not an immortal godlike being of infinite power. The fact that the original walker's sparks faded with the sealing of the rifts is being displayed on her card. She still clearly is a master artificer and that was what she did in the first place... create the hedrons.

as to the all is dust being another plane. It's clearly stated the eldrazi were ravaging other planes before sorin ugin and the lithomancer lured them into the trap that was zendikar. The hedron's on the other plane could have been a prototype of the real trap... a failed attempt... or the fact that art and lore sometimes have no correlations whatsoever.

Magical Cutesmasher

11,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Clambake 200
Raksha-Jareth
I doubt she's the stoneforge mystic... rather the mystics are actually her disciples from long ago.

According to her artist, who recently answered some questions, they are not the same. But she was based off of Mystic.

Which REALLY bothers me because there is a huge ******** difference between taking inspiration from a character and blatantly ripping off someone else's work.

Quote:
When she and sorin and ugin stopped the eldrazi in the first place the events of the timespiral block hadn't occurred yet.

Freyalise is dead. The commander sets don't work off of the current storyline.

Quote:
as to the all is dust being another plane. It's clearly stated the eldrazi were ravaging other planes before sorin ugin and the lithomancer lured them into the trap that was zendikar.

I'm pretty sure that the hedrons weren't created until they actually got the Zendikar, but I suppose it could be possible.

Human

I actually thought it was a good read.
And I really like the flavor of the stoneforge mystics following in her lithomancer footsteps.
Herself as a planeswalker has some really cool abilities and it would be really fun to build a deck around her.
Didn't she die though? That's why she wasn't on Zendikar at the time of the reawakening of the Eldrazi.
Like you already said earlier on, it would have been great if she weren't so similar to the actual stoneforge mystic. We're talking MILLENNIAL being here. So the cultural heritage of stoneforge mystics would have changed through time, not stayed like, exactly the same (outfit-wise).
Even more so in a plane like Zendikar, where cultures can sometime slast a couple of weeks at most.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff