Welcome to Gaia! ::

18,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
And on that note vice versa

I understand that Gaia is on a limited item roll right now and has been for a fair few months, if not more than a year already, but I just simply can't stop thinking that it would bring Gaia more money if they didn't make limited quantity items be limited time to begin with.

It's no secret that some, if not most, people tend to have days when they have the money to give out for entertainment and days when they really need to look after every last bit of money they have.

As such it can be quite annoying when a new limited quantity item is released, days before someone that likes it has the spare cash to afford it, and then taken away, for an unknown amount of time, without having even sold out.

This not only means that Gaia is missing out on more sales, but also that less people can enjoy using the item to begin with.

So what do you, dear reader and member of this website, think? Should limited quantity items continue to be limited time as well or not?

Also, I have no idea if this is the proper forum for this thread or not. If it's not, I hope it gets moved to the proper forum as soon as can be.

P.S.

My apologies for any spelling and grammar mistakes.

Hygenic Enabler

35,450 Points
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
It's a well known sales trick: get it before it's gone.

Gaia uses it constantly because they think (or they have experienced) that it works.
When they believe they can earn money more by bringing it (temporarily) back, they will. For example: the glowing splicing shard. You can get it for only a few hours. A few days later: you can get it for only a few hours - again! Do you still believe what they're saying? Nope? Neither do I. But it doesn't matter because money is more important than being reliable.

I'm not a fan of limited time offers either. I'm convinced that on lots of items they would have earned more if they wouldn't remove them from the shop. But once you go down a road, it's difficult to turn back.

18,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Sepulcra

Gaia uses it constantly because they think (or they have experienced) that it works.
When they believe they can earn money more by bringing it (temporarily) back, they will. For example: the glowing splicing shard. You can get it for only a few hours. A few days later: you can get it for only a few hours - again! Do you still believe what they're saying? Nope? Neither do I. But it doesn't matter because money is more important than being reliable.

I'm not a fan of limited time offers either. I'm convinced that on lots of items they would have earned more if they wouldn't remove them from the shop. But once you go down a road, it's difficult to turn back.

It very much does make sense and I'm in no way arguing that. It just doesn't make that much sense to me for limited quantity items to be limited time as well.

I believe that a dev once stated in an ATS(?) that the number of limited quantity items were there as a sort of guarantee that the item would make back it's production costs, so taking it out of the Cash Shop before it's sold out seems very counterproductive, especially when one considers how badly some items can age, many becoming less and less popular.

I remember when the Hydrangea Dream first came out, it was rather expensive, but now? Not so much...

This also extends to a number of EIs and REIs as well. Prince of the Sea, Secret Retreat and many more have seen drops in popularity compared to when they were still shiny and new.

So it really just makes more sense to me to leave the limited quantity items in the shop until they sell out in order for the item to make back it's production costs.

Hygenic Enabler

35,450 Points
  • Piecatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Areishia_01
Sepulcra

It very much does make sense and I'm in no way arguing that. It just doesn't make that much sense to me for limited quantity items to be limited time as well.

I believe that a dev once stated in an ATS(?) that the number of limited quantity items were there as a sort of guarantee that the item would make back it's production costs, so taking it out of the Cash Shop before it's sold out seems very counterproductive, especially when one considers how badly some items can age, many becoming less and less popular.

I remember when the Hydrangea Dream first came out, it was rather expensive, but now? Not so much...

This also extends to a number of EIs and REIs as well. Prince of the Sea, Secret Retreat and many more have seen drops in popularity compared to when they were still shiny and new.

So it really just makes more sense to me to leave the limited quantity items in the shop until they sell out in order for the item to make back it's production costs.

You mean limited quantity in combination with limited time. I guess they want to give these items (which might turn out to have higher quantity sells than other items btw we just don't know) a special 'status' to make them appear even more exclusive than the other offers.

They can't guarantee that the value of 'limited quanity' or 'limited time only' items (or a combination of the two) will remain high. But they want the buyers to believe that they're buying something special and valuable.

edit: And I agree with you that they should leave them in there until they've been sold out (reach the limit of the limited quantity). But I think that if it doesn't sell fast enough it might take away from the exclusive vibe they're trying to give to it. Sales techniques seem to beat credibility and common sense.

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200

User Image

You know, I would like this to be a thing as well. If it's a limited time item, remove the quantity. If it's a limited quantity item, remove the time. That would be much better in my opinion, and I shudder at thinking about the rarity of some items just because not many were bought in time.

18,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Sepulcra
Areishia_01
Sepulcra

You mean limited quantity in combination with limited time. I guess they want to give these items (which might turn out to have higher quantity sells than other items btw we just don't know) a special 'status' to make them appear even more exclusive than the other offers.

They can't guarantee that the value of 'limited quanity' or 'limited time only' items (or a combination of the two) will remain high. But they want the buyers to believe that they're buying something special and valuable.

edit: And I agree with you that they should leave them in there until they've been sold out (reach the limit of the limited quantity). But I think that if it doesn't sell fast enough it might take away from the exclusive vibe they're trying to give to it. Sales techniques seem to beat credibility and common sense.

That is true, though I doubt many buyers still believe that. Especially when just a quick search trough the MP will easily show a person that the only recolors that go for a similar/higher price then the original are the white and black ones, and even then it does depend on the item.

18,875 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
Magically Clueless

User Image

You know, I would like this to be a thing as well. If it's a limited time item, remove the quantity. If it's a limited quantity item, remove the time. That would be much better in my opinion, and I shudder at thinking about the rarity of some items just because not many were bought in time.

Same here. Sadly, only time will tell if Gaia will do this kind of thing, that and their sales.

Perfect Saint

Those target people like me who dilly-dally with purchases. I feel if there was no timer in many of the items I bought, I would still be thinking about buying them. Most the time, it's the limited time that pushes me to buy rather than supply.

Dapper Noob

Myrielle
Those target people like me who dilly-dally with purchases. I feel if there was no timer in many of the items I bought, I would still be thinking about buying them. Most the time, it's the limited time that pushes me to buy rather than supply.

And this is exactly what they hope to accomplish. Panicking people into buying to make a quick buck, instead of just leaving them in there to let sales slowly trickle in.

Perfect Saint

Pewpewkachu
Myrielle

And this is exactly what they hope to accomplish. Panicking people into buying to make a quick buck, instead of just leaving them in there to let sales slowly trickle in.

User Image

I fall for that tactic way too often.
I hope I could time all my purchases during special promos and tiers to maximize them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff