Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

BOSTON (Reuters) - People who want to see New England's colorful fall foliage no longer need to travel for the experience. A Boston-area man is offering to ship bundles of the dried up, multi-colored vegetation straight to your door for $19.99.

Kyle Waring, of Somerville, Massachusetts, set up the website shipfoliage.com earlier this year and began sending his first packages of hand-picked leaves to U.S. customers this week.

"I've hit over 200 sales so far," he said.

Waring came up with the idea while contemplating "seasonal monetization opportunities" with his wife. They settled on leaves, he said, because "fall in New England is especially gorgeous and really strikes an emotional chord."

It is not Waring's first foray into seasonal offerings. Last winter, he shipped snow from Boston's record snowfall for $89, using the website ShipSnowYo.com. He said he received requests for 718 pounds (326 kg) of snow from around the United States.

According to shipfoliage.com, Kyle offers bundles of three leaves of red, yellow and green, ranging from 3 to 6 inches (7.5 to 15 cm) in size. The leaves are preserved in a mixture of glycerin and water and shipped.

New England states bring in an estimated $3 million in tourism revenue during the autumn foliage season, which typically lasts for a couple of weeks in October.

(Reporting by Richard Valdmanis; Editing by Will Dunham and Sandra Maler)

Source and Link to the Boston Globe that covered the story.

This is one of those things where you wish you had thought of it first while simultaneously thinking a fool and his money are soon parted. rofl

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
emotion_facepalm Just...ugh. Humanity is so goddamn stupid.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
No thanks. I am still saving my monies to be affording rare 1st edition plastic spork. emotion_kirakira
Or... I could just gather up the leaves outside my home if I wanted to use them for decoration.
And if I wanted to have a "taste" of the New England Autumn, I would actually go there since it's both the leaves and the scenery that makes it beautiful, not just the leaves.
I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank!

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Flygoedla
I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank!

With a ha ha ha, ho ho ho and a couple of tra la las.

Enduring Survivor

17,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I Think I'll order some but ask him to autograph the bag...then ebay an autographed bag of leaves for $60.00. I'm sure there is enough if anyone wants to copy me....

Undead Enchantress

Don't have an Autumn or Winter. I think I can be a customer. xd Does he do international?
Hey! That's stuff that fell off trees!

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Erynne
Don't have an Autumn or Winter. I think I can be a customer. xd Does he do international?

You have to contact them to see if they'll ship internationally. But since the guy's making mad money don't see why he wouldn't branch out to bring in some more cash. xp

But this is his product:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Which honestly looks like the leaves you can pick up at a craft's store.

Kawaii Shoujo

I have plenty of leaves outside my front and back lawn thanks, and it's my mother who makes a wreath for the front door using real sticks and whatnot she gathers outside( I live out in the country).

Dead Hellraiser

All I'll say is I hope he's making sure the leaves don't have any bug eggs on them. Something like this is begging for an invasive species incident.

Not something I'd buy, since we have gorgeous leaves here in Michigan.
*sigh* Capitalism; where people can get rich getting people to pay them money for the crap I rake out of my yard and sweep off of my driveway....

High-functioning Lunatic

20,015 Points
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
Reminds me of this Scandinavia and the World comic.

Adventuring Cat

Last year I saw people on Etsy selling sweet gum seed pods.

They look like this:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

These things are all over my neighborhood. Why aren't I selling these?

Osage oranges too. I think they smell like pee. But if you want ugly lumpy inedible green fruits fine. I could go collect some. Your whole house can smell like pee oranges.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff