Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
When Car Accelerator Sticks

A police dispatcher from Green Bay helped save a Wisconsin teenager when her gas pedal stuck, all caught in 911 audio.

Olivia Crooks, 16, said she left her high school parking lot in her car on Tuesday afternoon and then realized she had lost control of the vehicle.

It was a harrowing experience that lasted 7 to 10 minutes for the young driver who has had her license since January.

"I heard a crack," Crooks told local TV station WLUK in Green Bay. "My gas pedal got stuck so I tried to press my brake to see if I could stop my car but I could not."

"First of all, I think Olivia did an amazing job," Robak told ABC News. "I have two 14-year-old twins. I give her credit at 16 for being as calm as she was, calling 911, going to an area that was not so busy, and trusting in the fact that I was doing everything I could to help her."

Crooks headed to a cul-de-sac, where she hoped she could drive in circles until the car ran out of gas. But once Crooks told Robak the car was an automatic vehicle, the dispatcher told the teen to shift the car to "neutral."

"Don’t pump the brakes," Robak said as general advice to those in a similar situation with an automatic transmission. "You should press them."

Robak advised Crooks to apply firm, constant pressure, and not to pump the brakes when she was in neutral.

Though the tires began to smoke, eventually the car stopped and Crooks was not injured. Robak said the call lasted no more than 3 minutes.

Crooks' mother, Lori, told WLUK, "I am so thankful today."

"It could've been a lot worse than it was," Lori Crooks said. "I'm just glad it ended up the way it did."

As for Robak's cool head, she credits her training with the Brown County Public Safety.

"I think our center does wonderful things with training and preparing us to take these kind of calls. I also have a great team that is encouraging and supporting. They never want us to fail. We do the best that we can do," Robak said.

A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration database shows no complaints about accelerator pedals for the Chrysler PT Cruiser.

A spokesman for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) said in a statement, "FCA US LLC has no reports of any similar occurrence. The Company is relieved no-one was injured and commends the parties involved for their actions.”

Spooky

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Man, and I just had a nightmare the other night that the brakes for my car wouldn't work. X_X

Dedicated Student

O.o holy......

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Ringoringa
Man, and I just had a nightmare the other night that the brakes for my car wouldn't work. X_X

At least you know what to do if it happens.

My other thought was turning the engine off too (instead of waiting to run out of gas, the car would eventually slow down and stop due to no more gas being run)

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
I swear. There are times when I make a comment or ask a question on here, that there must be some reporter or somebody from CBS as a member here on Gaia. Or maybe it's just coincidence.

The story was featured on the magazine show, Inside Edition, at 7:00pm eastern about this situation (mentioning the girl and everything). The reporter was interviewing an expert on the subject of safety driving or some such (distracted) and the reporter asked the very question about turning off the engine. The safety driver guy confirms that it is a bad idea to turn the engine off. He says that is because that when you do, you will lose your power steering and your power brakes and stuff.

Relentless Glitch

"Crack" is a scary sound to hear in a car. How weak was that brake to break like that? (Or how strong was she?) I almost imagined there was a ton of junk at her feet and she crunched one and it jammed into the brake.

I thought about doing engine breaks but then the car is an automatic. I've never driven one of those so I'd probably be sol.

Fashionable Genius

Ringoringa

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Ringoringa
hopefully it was not a premonition.

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Lord Elwrind
Ringoringa

At least you know what to do if it happens.

My other thought was turning the engine off too (instead of waiting to run out of gas, the car would eventually slow down and stop due to no more gas being run)

Ah, don't do that! You'll lose your steering!

Definitely just slide that thing into neutral. Your car will get crazy loud and s**t, but it'll slow down and eventually stop.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
FirstBornTriplet
Ringoringa
hopefully it was not a premonition.

Probably not. I have that dream pretty frequently. xp I'm an anxious driver.

Familiar Raccoon

12,200 Points
  • Super Fan 250
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
Dalia Royce
"Crack" is a scary sound to hear in a car. How weak was that brake to break like that? (Or how strong was she?) I almost imagined there was a ton of junk at her feet and she crunched one and it jammed into the brake.

I thought about doing engine breaks but then the car is an automatic. I've never driven one of those so I'd probably be sol.

I think it was the gas pedal that was stuck. So maybe the gas was stronger than the breaks, keeping in mind that breaks are probably not designed to be used at the same time as the gas.

Relentless Glitch

Pink_Frosting5
Dalia Royce

I think it was the gas pedal that was stuck. So maybe the gas was stronger than the breaks, keeping in mind that breaks are probably not designed to be used at the same time as the gas.
Not meant for drifting. Good to know. xd

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
>Chrysler
>PT Cruiser

Two problems located. emotion_awesome

Quick Reply

Submit