Welcome to Gaia! ::

Over the course of my life I've often met people who will say to me "Why do you play games?" (which used to be followed by "Loser" wink .

Gaming was once a bit of a taboo thing, people who would play games were often seen as outcasts, losers or basement dwelling smelly blobs that fused to a chair a long time ago. But of course we all know that now to be far from true.

With the rise of games over the years we have seen amazing things happen for example: Acceptance. When I was in school I often found that I was mocked and teased for my love of "Video Games" at the time "Pokemon" was the big thing and while sure you had a ton of kids playing it, you'd always have the group of "Cool Kids" who would pick on you for it.

Now days playing just about any type of game is a normal thing. You can play them on phones while you're riding the bus to work or pooping (whichever you personally enjoy, no judgement here).

I've come to wonder what drives people in the world to play video games and what that means to them personally.

So with that I'll share my story and see if there is more people out there who feel the same way (you of course can share your own stories, I'd personally love to hear all about what gaming means to you).

I started playing games around the age of 7. Back then you had Super Nintendo's and Sega consoles. I however didn't have one of those I had a PC built from scrapes my Dad would collect when he did his job.

The very first game I played was a game I doubt many people know about: Discworld. It was a Point and Click adventure game was was very hard but I loved that game so much.

As the years when on I found myself bullied and beaten for my enjoyment of games. At the time they were not much more than cool time killers, a way to spent the afternoon after I finished my Homework but soon they grew into something more.

At around the age of 9 I found myself with no friends and no people to talk to about games I soon found myself playing games to escape the world around me. I often spent my time in games picturing myself as the main protagonist. I'd explore a world where nobody would hurt me or pick on me.

Games for the longest time were something for me to be free in I could just lose myself and become something I wasn't I could be a powerful mage or a thief, ect.

I didn't have friends but the friends I had were the NPC's in games (wow that sounds terrible now) I was free, I was happy and games helped me through tough times in my life. Many times I would feel terrible and want to end my own life because the people in my school and personal life were terrible people.

But games helped me, they saved me and I'll never forget the love I have for them.

So... Share your own stories....

What does gaming mean to you?
Something to do for fun. Then when they stop being fun. When they become frustrating. They're nothing but a waste of time.

Eloquent Muse

A better escape than books or television. It's amusing when people call it a waste of time, than spend their time watching TV.

Kawaii Shoujo

What does gaming mean to me? To me it's none other than a fun way to pass the time and to help relax after a long hard day at work... this is especially true since I work as a housekeeper and after work I would go home and rest my weary body with a nice video game.
I'll keep it short. I started playing games when I was 5 or 6 because of my older brother. I immediately loved Crash Bandicoot and was amazed at the fact that I was controlling something. Got to the first obsticle (a hole) and couldn't coordinate how to jump and move forward at the same time. I died more times than I can remember and begged my brother to do it for me. That's when he said "Nope. If you're gonna play games, you'll have to figure them out, yourself." and left for work. So, as corny as it sounds, that kind of taught me that (yeah with games, but also) with anything all through life, you should count on no one to glide you through it. You either say "alright, i'm gonna figure this out, no matter how long it takes me..." or you give up. I got past the hole after a few more tries and, let me tell you, it was the most proud of myself i'd ever been at that age. I couldn't read fully yet and no one told me how to do it, but I figured it out myself. That was mindblowing at 6 years old. Anyway, it's this mentality and relationship with video games and problem solving that would shape my mind, personality, and love for games that require thinking, problem solving and, most of all, sneaking. Now my favorite games are more challenging ones (Splinter Cell/Metal Gear/Hitman/ Witcher/ Dark Souls/ Dragons Dogma) for the same reason. Did I say I'd keep this short? eek

Alien Cosmonaut

You know how kids have imaginary friends? I would have imaginary friends in every game I played that wasn't time based (like Pikmin, Super Mario World). I would create entire stories just walking around the Sonic Adventure adventure fields or in my houses in Animal Crossing. Video games were a huge creative outlet for me when I was younger, especially when I was left with limitations.

Nowadays they're just things I play in my spare time, when I'm trying to relax, or trying to get my mind off something. But every now and then I like to reminisce on all the hours I burned talking to myself while playing old Gamecube games. rofl It sounds stupid as hell, but in my defense I lived in a fairly dangerous neighbourhood up until about age 8, so I didn't have many opportunities to go out and play with real friends or anything.

User Image

Aoness's Compadre

Big Nerd

15,225 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Team Moira 200
  • Bookworm 100
Originally it was a means to distract from stress of daily life. It still is really.

I also like to see the creativity behind the games and appreciate them.

Feline Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Hero 100
Gaming is just a fun hobby to me... Nothing more, nothing less... cat_wink
It's a time waster and helps me forget my inevitable death.

Everysecond we are closer to death, and powerless to stop it.
The second most pure form of entertainment and interactive enjoyment I know and treasure. Only tabletop gaming ranks higher, and even then it's a close contest.

In a relationship with every woman

Diamond Dog

14,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
I've been playing since before I can remember, but as a kid they didn't really amount to much more than toys to me. When they started being more and more about characters and stories, it became much more important to me. But in the end it's always been about entertainment to me.
I think before I ever had video games I would go over to someone's house and they had consoles and I did find it interesting cause at the time I wasn't much in to that stuff. Then I guess I eventually played something I cant remember what but the Nintendo 64 became my first console and Super Mario 64 was my first ever game. Turok Dinosaur Hunter was eventually my first shooter and it went on from there.

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
I got into them cuz peeps were telling me about how much harassment femmies were getting. I grew jealous of not being able to harass femmies outside in the open without "consequences", so I took up my mic and fulfilled my lifelong dream of being able to harass femmies nonstop.

/kek

Seriously tho, they're the second best things humanity has ever created. The first being nukes & genocide.

/kek x2

Dangerous Poster

15,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
One Vision, One Purpose! Peace Through Power lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash