Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shade

So as most of you know from that little notice, Gaia is currently looking into potentially adding Bitcoins as a currency to purchase Gaia Cash with.

Assuming a vast majority of you don't know, Bitcoins are digital currency through a service called Bitcoin that lets you substitute real money with the currency meant to be a reward for payment processing work in which users offer their computing power to verify and record payments into the public ledger. It can be "made" by a process called "mining", that creates more bitcoins and can be then either "sold" or traded along with other people. It's been gaining a lot of popularity as a replacement for credit charging, and starting to get major traction mainstream-wise until the bubble burst some time in 2014. However, you cannot get things like refunds or chargebacks, and the method of "mining" bitcoins seems innocent enough, until anonymous criminals start to come into play.

What makes this very dangerous? Well, the fact that any service that openly accepts bitcoins are prone to security issues pertaining with malware meant to turn your computer into a barely functional mining node, which causes significant performance issues as they'll bog you down to get as much out of you as possible. Phishers and Flash-based ads run the biggest risk of this being an issue, and both are very prevalent over Gaia. Where a phisher typically steals your gold and items and runs, now they can use their hijack sites to infect you with something that can lead to your computer's death.

Don't think you're safe because you use a Mac. Mac based trojans exist and are incredibly tricky to catch due to the fact that people think Mac's can't get viruses.

While I understand Gaia wants to increase options to purchase Gaia Cash without running to the bank and using your hard-earned money (or if you just plain can't due to unemployment/too young to work), this is a very, very dangerous line to toe in my opinion. Bitcoins have been trouble all throughout the internet, and them coming here scares the hell out of me. I don't want to have to constantly run NoScript on this website.

gaia_spoons gaia_spoons
What do you think about Bitcoin being a new way to purchase Gaia Cash?
Do you use Bitcoin? How have your experiences with it been?
What could Gaia use instead of Bitcoins and shady offers to generate the ability to get Gaia Cash?
Do you feel this is safe, or unsafe? Why?

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
calm down almost no one will use their bitcoins to buy gaia cash. rofl

Rare

holy s**t, of course gaia would make a decision this bad

hopefully someone with tons of bitcoins will come in and buy thousands of dollars worth of items and rain them upon the userbase, thus ending gaia forever (good ending)

Shade

Lorennland
calm down almost no one will use their bitcoins to buy gaia cash. rofl

And almost no one will go through the trouble of making fake redirection sites to grab user info to steal someone's stuff, right?

It isn't about the majority getting into it, it's about those who can gain much further profit off of this than just buying s**t on Gaia. In fact, for a lot of bitcoin miners, Gaia is literally worthless outside of potentially botnetting a s**t ton of their more naive userbase to get a huge bonus of bitcoins better spent on other things. This s**t is real, it isn't some 'omg everyone panic!!' deal; it's a damn warning of what can possibly happen. Given how shameless the phishers on this site are, I seriously doubt they won't attempt something like this.

Tiny Shapeshifter

It's practically another form of currency that we don't need. I mean, we got like what, your typical gold, gaia cash, tokens/tickets (from game exchange), bachelor credits, wing stickers, alchemy ingredients, gofushion charms... confused

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
I love buying fake money with fake money
What do you think about Bitcoin being a new way to purchase Gaia Cash?

Seeing as I've heard quite a number of negative things about it, I would say it's risky.

Do you use Bitcoin? How have your experiences with it been?

No, I'd rather not, plus I don't use real money on Gaia.

What could Gaia use instead of Bitcoins and shady offers to generate the ability to get Gaia Cash?

Earnings.

Do you feel this is safe, or unsafe? Why?

Unsafe because of potential hacks.

Team Diedrich

"Hold on, I'm sending you a tape!"

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. The last thing Gaia needs is fricking Bitcoins.

Aizen Kami's Waifu

Princess Healer

50,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Cosmic Healer 200
I have always found the bitcoin currency to be extremely sketchy. Bitcoin doesn't exactly have the best reputation...
talk2hand I'm going with no to the use of bitcoin on Gaia.

Tipsy Genius

"Yo dawg, we heard you liked microtransactions, so we're letting you spend money on bitcoins so you can spend bitcoins on GC so you can spend GC on gold so you can spend gold on items. You're welcome!"

Nine-tailed Shapeshifter

11,440 Points
  • Building the Army 50
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Why can't we do what we always do..... I hope they change their mind using bitcoins.... and I have no clue how to do it anyway...... I'll stick with the old fashion way

Time-traveling Senshi

Here's the thing. If you go to buy some Cash for use on Gaia either on the site or through the app (if those app transactions are still working for them) you know that $10 for Cash will always be $10 for Cash and that, if there's no discounts and other sales for Cash going on, you will be down $10 and Gaia will be richer by $10 less whatever transaction fees the payment service and bank/credit card compay take out. You don't have to worry that the price for Cash will change and Gaia doesn't have to take a developer off any projects just to sit around and monitor the insane daily fluctuations in the daily, and sometimes hourly, exchange rates from US Dollars to Bitcoins. Because if Gaia were to go with Bitcoins who's to say that by the time you're ready to buy your $10 in Cash the Bitcoin price for it will actually be $10? Besides the safety issues being mentioned in this thread not knowing the current going exchange rate between Bitcoins and US Dollars can really turn your simple $10 Cash purchase into more like $11 or more with the tacked on fees and the daily fluctuations in the exchange rates. It's a bad proposition all around.

That said, I am glad they asked us about other payment options that they don't already use that we would like to see them use. I told them for the general piece of mind aspect that if they ever really revamp the app, and it could be used on site if I've done my reading right, Apple Pay could be a good option. I know the app already uses iTunes accounts to pay for things but the upside to Apple Pay that I like is the fact that every transaction creates a unique card number that expires the moment that transaction is over with. That way if there was a breach of payment information a person's credit card and bank account is safe because the number linked to the credit or debit card is dead and can never be used again.

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Zana Bonanza
"Hold on, I'm sending you a tape!"

I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. The last thing Gaia needs is fricking Bitcoins.

this video is beautiful

Lord DoomRater's Darling

Light Dragoon

40,975 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dragon's Path 500
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
I took the survey. I said I'm familiar enough with bitcoin, I don't use it, I don't see myself using it.

I suggested alternative processing than Paypal. I personally use paypal, but I know some users who migrated to Google Pay and Apple Pay, which are incompatible here thanks to Paypal's Monopoly (paypal will not process prepaid google cards as a direct competitor).

Phanna's Husband

Questionable Partner

sterek

Bitcoin is actually terrible for microtransactions. Changetip et al run entirely off the blockchain, because sending someone penny shavings costs more in transaction fees than the transaction is worth.

But yeah, this is pretty cool, jumping on the bitcoin bandwagon after the Magic: The Gathering: Online eXchange collapse, and Silk Road 1 and 2, and the Bitcoin XT fork. I mean the fact that it's crashing and burning means it's bound to turn around, right?

It is not about to turn around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces