Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

It's a bacon catastrophe!

A man in West Yorkshire, UK called 999 -- the British version of 911 -- with what he believed was a serious crime: His cat ate his bacon.

The undated call began with the caller being asked: "What's your emergency?"

The response: "Er..me girlfriend has let the cat eat my bacon," according to a recording obtained by the Mirror.

Over the course of the 90-second call, the caller tells the operator that he wants to press charges against his girlfriend and the bacon-eating feline.

The operator finally explains point blank: "Sir, it's not a criminal offense to let your cat eat your bacon. And we don't arrest cats."

The West Yorkshire Police recently made the cat-calling public in order to raise awareness of the proper use of 999.

Tom Donahoe, who heads the dispatch team, told the Yorkshire Evening Post that his office receives nearly 1,000 emergency calls a day -- but not all of them qualify as true emergencies.

“Someone rang us at two in the morning to ask us who the actor was that played Magnum P.I," he told the paper. “It was driving him mad, he was with his friends and couldn’t think of the answer, so he rang the police.”

Donahue hopes publicizing the more ridiculous emergency calls will get people to think before dialing 999 because it could waste police resources that could be spent dealing with genuine emergencies and put people's lives at risk, according to ITV.com.

Source and the Link to the Mirror that also reported the story.

Nah..I'm going with calling about who played Magnum P.I. the most ridiculous. Come on now, Tom Sellek with that magnificent mustache is hard to forget. whee
It is not common for people to call 999 for the wrong reason, they have called for silly things like getting directions, because they wanted to know what date it was, or how to get into touch with the prime minister or Kate Middleton. Here are just some of many videos where 999 was called for the wrong reason.

silly 999 calls

It is a shame that adults make calls for stupid things when even a four year old knows not to ring emergency for those things.

four year old who knows better.

Hot-Scotsman's Queen

Wealthy Lover

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Super Converter 100
hey dont make out we are the silly ones.... americans do this just as much... or maybe they're just too scared of getting shot cos your too trigger happy other there..

Amateur Angel

17,950 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I always get a weird sense of happiness when I read a news story about a complete idiot, and that idiot isn't an American for a change.
This made my day rofl

One time, I saw on the news here in Florida that someone called the police on their local McDonald's just because they got his order wrong! XD

I agree with whoever said they're glad that this idiot isn't an American for a change.

Kawaii Shoujo

Ugh... it's stories like this that makes me worry about the future of humanity emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Foolish man thing, you should be honored that your kitty overlord deigned to eat your bacon.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
g0th_chick_uk
hey dont make out we are the silly ones.... americans do this just as much... or maybe they're just too scared of getting shot cos your too trigger happy other there..
When American's do it it is usually because Burger King messed up their drive thru order.

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
emotion_facepalm human fail

Chatty Friend

11,775 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
It's times like this where I am totally embarrassed to be British emotion_facepalm

I have actually found something even more stupid than this
wow ! haha!
STILL doesn't top this...

or this....

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Nicki Weston90
It's times like this where I am totally embarrassed to be British emotion_facepalm

Don't worry your friends from "across the pond" are no different, they call emergency services because Burger King forgot their chicken nuggets or something like that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff