College

Did you go to college

Yes 0.86111111111111 86.1% [ 31 ]
No 0.13888888888889 13.9% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]
1 2 3 >

isobeyan's Princess

Super Star

Is college really worth the time, effort, money, knowledge in the long run?

Friend

As opposed to what? Trade school is another good option if you don't think college is for you.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50

Depends on:
1. What you wanna do
2. What kind of life you wanna live
3. How much you're willing to spend
4. Where you wanna go to college
5. What you're expectations from attending college are
6. How much time you plan on taking
7. Whether you like learning (Don't let college get in the way of your education)

Among other factors.

Me, I'm a pre-med student. That's 8 years of schooling and as little as 4 years of residency. I actually switched majors from Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management dual major (Roughly 6 years of education, if I didn't do a semester internship). Excluding residency (which while technically more schooling is paid, averaging about 40-50k/year), that's an addition of 2 years of schooling by switching majors. That's justified to me.

Go over those 7 points and decide for yourself. You don't have to go to college.
It's worth the effort if you have the will to put in the effort. If the time is not right for you, don't go. I don't think it's ever "too late" to go to college. You should go when your mind is in the mindset.

When I went to university, I wish I had been in a better mindset during my five years there. At times, I feel as if I walked away with very little. I know I had a lot of life experiences as a result of going, but education-wise, because I went into a major that my heart wasn't feeling, I graduated feeling like I got very little out of the money and time I put into it. If I had a second chance, I would have applied for the major I knew I would have loved from the very beginning. I went into something because my parents said it'd be good for me, and now I'm graduated with a degree I don't really plan to use.

If you do go to college, be sure you are going in for what you love, because your experience while learning will be a lot better. Or even if you do happen to change your major some part of the way in, that's ok, too.

Even if you go in undeclared, it's ok. I usually think it is ok to not know what you love, but it's also useful to know what you don't like.

As long as you're a high school graduate, I think it's ok to go do other stuff and explore and get some REAL LIFE experience before going to university.

It's worth all that time, effort and knowledge in the long run if going to college is something you really want to do and put your 100% into your education, like studying and making connections with other people. You definitely can't go it alone. I think that is also another reason why my experience sucked. I was pretty depressed for most of it and so I had zero friends and graduated with zero.

I hope you make the choice that's right for you, whatever's in your heart!

Spoopy Kitten

Depends on what job/career you want. My mom works at a bakery, a job shes always wanted, and she never went to college. I cant get a job due to disabilities, so i dont plan to get a degree but id like to take some art and cooking classes. My boyfriend is a manager at mcdonalds, where they pay for your classes if you take ones on their list (you can get a degree as a lawyer and mcdonalds would pay for it, for example); in a year or two he will be making salary. By the end of the year he will have had enough raises to where he will be getting paid more than his mom who has worked at a bank for the past 10 years. Tom, the mcdonalds head boss guy is making 300k$ a year and he never got a degree. He took a few business classes, but that was it - and mcdonalds paid for them

Anyway, the only time i see college as "needed" is if the job/career you want demands you have a degree

Dedicated Hobo

Well, like a few others have said, it depends on a lot of things about yourself. Obviously secondary education isn't for everyone; I think some people don't have the drive for it, or are driven by things other than getting a degree. For others, it's a necessity in order to start their career. Honestly, I still don't know if my degree will help me out in the end. I enjoy studying, but it feels like I'm just delaying starting work at some dead end job. I guess I'll find out in a few years.
College was an experience that I'm glad I had and would do again. I met some great people, especially great professors who really shaped me as a person, and I wouldn't be the person I am now in a lot of ways without meeting those people and having the experiences I did. It also helped me to feel less attached to my family and prepared me to move forward on my own after college, which was still hard but would have been much harder. Also in terms of job skills I am actively using now, in theory, most of the content could be self taught but you'd have to know what skills you need and how to get them- I'm not really good at providing that kind of direction or structure for myself honestly and probably would have failed. And of course, unfortunately, there are jobs you can't get without that piece of paper regardless.

I'll be in my 30s before my debt is paid off and these payments kind of hurt. For the reasons listed above and others, I'm happy with the decision I made even though I acknowledge that I should not have had to pay as much as I did. It's hard to explain, but even though I paid all that money and still had to supplement with reading and projects I did for no credit on my own initiative in order to get what I felt was a complete education, I believe that the structure and the connections there were the foundation I personally needed to reach my goals on many levels. For others, college is just an annoying and even restrictive formality and they will thrive more and more quickly without it. For others, it's just not an option and they can choose another path anyway and get along fine, so for them it's not worth it to accept the cost. And ultimately, if I hadn't been able to go to college, I would have survived, but I'm glad I was able to do it.

so TLDR it depends on the cost, your resources, your personality and your goals

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

My first degree was useless. So it wasn't worth it for me. But my second degree, which I'm starting soon, is going to be much better. It's actually something I want to do.

So it depends. Do something you love, then it'll be worth it.
User Image

User Image

Hygienic Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Over Easy 100
  • Hygienic 200
Its worth it if you can make it worth it. Depends really on you. I'm only in my second year and can't make friends to save my life, but I'm glad I'm here and I'm in the major I've switched to. Cosmetology just wasn't right for me, and neither was environmental science. And loans can be frustrating, but I'd much rather pay a loan off for the knowledge I accumulate with these classes than work in the trades or something. That's just me.

Kumacchiato's Prince

Demonic Dabbler

10,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Dapper Gaian

It all depends on you personally, and what you want to do... and maybe a little bit of luck and fortune. For some people, it's entirely worth it. I didn't go to college but my husband did, and he worked in his field for a few years but made less than he's currently making at a fast food restaurant, so in the end it wasn't "worth it" for him.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Well, since I'm still in college I can't really tell you about the long run, but so far as an American student in America, I feel like it's not worth it so far.

I'm only finishing what I started at this point. I actually like college so far. It's not a bad experience. But the money I'm putting into it that I'll have to pay back, and I have no idea how I'm going to start paying it back, is telling me this isn't worth it.....

isobeyan's Princess

Super Star

britt1110
Well, since I'm still in college I can't really tell you about the long run, but so far as an American student in America, I feel like it's not worth it so far.

I'm only finishing what I started at this point. I actually like college so far. It's not a bad experience. But the money I'm putting into it that I'll have to pay back, and I have no idea how I'm going to start paying it back, is telling me this isn't worth it.....

What are you studying? My only like setback is that I honestly don't know what I want to study and I don't even know what I want to do in life so that's why like...I really don't know if I want to go to college if I don't even know what I wanna do with my life.

isobeyan's Princess

Super Star

MakubeX
It's worth the effort if you have the will to put in the effort. If the time is not right for you, don't go. I don't think it's ever "too late" to go to college. You should go when your mind is in the mindset.

When I went to university, I wish I had been in a better mindset during my five years there. At times, I feel as if I walked away with very little. I know I had a lot of life experiences as a result of going, but education-wise, because I went into a major that my heart wasn't feeling, I graduated feeling like I got very little out of the money and time I put into it. If I had a second chance, I would have applied for the major I knew I would have loved from the very beginning. I went into something because my parents said it'd be good for me, and now I'm graduated with a degree I don't really plan to use.

If you do go to college, be sure you are going in for what you love, because your experience while learning will be a lot better. Or even if you do happen to change your major some part of the way in, that's ok, too.

Even if you go in undeclared, it's ok. I usually think it is ok to not know what you love, but it's also useful to know what you don't like.

As long as you're a high school graduate, I think it's ok to go do other stuff and explore and get some REAL LIFE experience before going to university.

It's worth all that time, effort and knowledge in the long run if going to college is something you really want to do and put your 100% into your education, like studying and making connections with other people. You definitely can't go it alone. I think that is also another reason why my experience sucked. I was pretty depressed for most of it and so I had zero friends and graduated with zero.

I hope you make the choice that's right for you, whatever's in your heart!

I wouldn't mind going to college I like learning and like I miss high school I want to make new friends and do s**t with them like I want to do all that s**t. But I just don't know what I want to do in life and that's like why I'm asking this. Like since I don't know what I want to do right now I shouldn't worry about college?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff