Welcome to Gaia! ::

OK, so like this new used video games store opens up downtown. I go check it out. It has TONS of stuff. I particular there are shelves full of PS1 games, most at fairly OK prices. My eye, by chance, hits the titles in the "i" region, and from the back of my head I recall an incredibly-cool looking PS1 game I once read about in a magazine, a certain Squaresoft-released shmup called IS: Internal Section.

It was not there. "Oh well," I say to myself, and go home. But something was nagging at my craw, so I did a little research. To cut to the chase:

Quote:
Often described as a twisted fusion between Tempest and S.T.U.N. Runner, this Positron game was released exclusively in Japan in 1999, at a time when the PlayStation games catalogue was already vast and varied.

(link)

(And, oh yeah, if you check out their forum, one guy says the game CD won't even play on his Japan-compatible PS3...)

Anyway, this thread is about the games that you're tearing your hair out because they were only released in Japan. Here are some usual suspects.

- A suspiciously high number of these games were also released by Square: Seiken Densetsu 3, Tobal 2, the SNES Romancing SaGa games...

- Shmups, too, are pretty notorious for this this, particularly "cute 'em ups" and bullet hell games. TV Tropes has this to say of the Touhou games: "Although the games are playable on any Windows PC with decent specs and have no form of region-lockout DRM, ZUN has expressed no interest in bringing the games outside of Japan, physically or digitally. Should you try to import the games, expect to pay at least 30 USD for just one game. It's no wonder 99.9% of Western fans simply pirate the games. As an exception to this, Playism announced bringing Double Dealing Character West, after some teasing by ZUN."

- Dating sims, most notably Tokimeki Memorial.

- A great many things "culturally specific" to Japan, like games based on popular anime or manga. As well a mahjong games, real mahjong games that is, not that ******** tile-matching bullshit.

- Since this controversy has been completely forgotten by now, I might as well bring up the Sony PocketStation. Final Fantasy VIII and SaGa Frontier 2 both have mini-games you can load to your PocketStation, play, and win items that you can bring back to your main game. These features were ported to the North American localizations of these two games. Too bad Sony never brought the PocketStation here as well, which may account for the fact that I've never heard of anyone actually playing these mini-games.

Sparkly Kitten

I'm still grumbling about the Miles Edgeworth Ace Prosecutor 2 game not being released in NA.
Like, the first one is here, but not the second one? wtf?

Also, natsuiro high school seishun hakusho looks like a crappy game.
But that's also kind of why I want to try playing it.
every 3DS Dragon Quest.
so:
Rocket Slime 3
Monsters remake
Monster 2 remake
7 remake
Theatrhythm
presumably 8 enhanced port
presumably Monsters: Joker 3

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

We Gundam fans are still forever grumbling that the EXVS series hasn't been formally ported here yet, even though over the years the fanbase has been getting larger.
s**t, we even have tournaments at EVO for it, it was a big deal for a while. Then Maxi Boost came out, now EXVSFB becoming obsolete... then they took our GVG Next game away from our arcades...

It's just so sad. It's such a great fighting game.

Dainty Daredevil

15,950 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Elocutionist 200
visual novels; pretty much everything on my vndb wishlist. namely the love between you, her, and her (video), project knights, and bishoujo mangekyou

Menacing Smoker

One Piece: Super Grand Battle X

Grumbling over the fact that Nintendo is stuck in the 90s and still thinks region locking is a good idea.
Live a Live.

At least it has a fan translation.

Enigmatic Hunter

24,775 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Every Super Robot Wars although it's understandable... getting all the copyrights would be a real pain in the a**... specially the ones who include Macross...

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I'm grumbling about all the .hack games that don't get released here. Same with the Alice in the country games. And all PSP game that are still coming out in Japan. Why did they have to port ffType0 to ps4 when it was originally on PSP? If they were gonna do that, they should have released it on PSP anyways!

Kawaii Shoujo

Mother 3... I always wanted to play it but because it's only in Japan I can't and don't get me started on that patch or whatever it is that I can use to play it because I don't understand it no matter how hard I try. stressed
Zered Heizien

Theatrhythm

Given the popularityof the FInal Fantasy version, We can hope.

Feral Nymph

I would be angrier about Breath of Fire VI, except that they're making it into some horrible mobile s**t abomination, so I'm more pissed about that.

I am somewhat sore about Seiken Densetsu 3, since I love the early Mana games, but at least fans have translated it and emulation is an option. It would still be nice to have a hard copy of it and Secret of Mana and that cute little handheld that plays SNES games.

Lonely Knight

63,925 Points
  • Team Rina 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Cute 100
  • Wing Mastery 100
flutflut
I'm grumbling about all the .hack games that don't get released here. Same with the Alice in the country games. And all PSP game that are still coming out in Japan. Why did they have to port ffType0 to ps4 when it was originally on PSP? If they were gonna do that, they should have released it on PSP anyways!

Yeah, I'm annoyed about .hack//link still. I would have preordered it, but it never arrived.

Also, Namco x Capcom.

Hopeful Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Dante Rebellion Sparda
Zered Heizien

Theatrhythm

Given the popularityof the FInal Fantasy version, We can hope.

That was released here.

Salathielly's Partner

Dainty Kitten

27,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Yeah, it's pretty idiotic that region locks still exist in some way or form. This is 2015 for crying out loud! We can talk to eachother from across the globe but when it comes to games we have to accept what shitty games are released in our own region. Sony and Microsoft do a better job than Nintendo that still enforces that silly region locking on their Wii U AND their handheld! emotion_facepalm

And I'm pretty miffed about the fact that the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia never got a US/EU release and I don't own an Xbox360 so don't tell me to play the Xbox version instead emotion_donotwant

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff