<3 </3

I prefer

Item lists in GCD 0.48863636363636 48.9% [ 43 ]
Item lists elsewhere 0.25 25.0% [ 22 ]
Don't care 0.26136363636364 26.1% [ 23 ]
Total Votes:[ 88 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Wild Bookworm

Just did a quick count, and GCD today is 75% stickies, item lists and item fan threads and general fan threads, and 25% general community discussion. Here's the breakdown at the time of this post.

Of 40 threads -

1 Announcement thread
8 Stickies
14 item lists and item fanthreads
6 general fanthreads
= 29 threads.

Just sayin'.

I have nothing at all against item lists and fan threads, they're fine, but haven't we lost something here? There are those who would contend that without the item fan threads and lists, GCD would be a graveyard, but would it really? I can remember when the above percentages were reversed, and the majority of threads were broad community discussion, which honestly were far more interesting and created a lot more interaction between people. But perhaps the Gaia community isn't about people any more.
I feel pretty sure of one thing, if GCD didn't have the item fan threads and items lists, it would not die. Might even get reborn. Or are we too generally disheartened to really care any more?
What say you?
(Disclaimer: I do consider NPC fan threads a positive thing in the this forum)

Alcopops's Pardner

Bloodthirsty Bunny

33,440 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(I've had no sleep even though I was supposed to go to bed hours ago, so forgive me if I say anything that makes no sense)

Okay, well, first off, you OBVIOUSLY missed my super awesome secret thread about staff shenanigans that the rest of the community was more than free to give their own input on. S'great thread. That one is a general discussion thread. ;D

Second off, I totally get where you're coming from. It's easy to see the GCD that way when you're looking from the outside (in this case, as a GCDer who hasn't been to the forum in a really long time: excuse me if I'm assuming wrong). Forums change and have new life as old users move on and new users come in, and as Gaia changes itself. It would be silly to assume that GCD would stay the same. I am not crazy about the update threads, but people don't *only* talk about the update. The conversation can go to many other things and onto other topics. The most important part about that is that it's all still valid discussion, and that valid discussion DOES bond users. There are so many items on Gaia and everyone is aware of the NPCs that those are the easiest topics to bond over. GCD is the perfect place for that to happen.

I agree that GCD wouldn't die if the item lists were gone, because we would find something else to talk about. I think that proves that GCD definitely has a community that cares, like a really big and weird awkward family of lurkers and active posters alike. Even so, it isn't like you're forbidden to make community related topics. Right now it's very quiet, so there aren't too many discussions that stray from the regular updates. We've been through a lot this past year with zOMG, several inflation fiascos, and Tektek, and we're at that point where we're all just chilling out and waiting for the next fun Gaia thing to come. As drama-less that is, it's good because that means Gaia is peaceful for the time being.

With the addition of the chats, I feel that people of GCD can bond even easier. I've been having a lot of fun on there and it's definitely a great place to bond with others and share topical information and interests at a faster pace. I personally feel it's even more about the community than it was before, but that's just me. I'm happy with how GCD is and it's like a home to me. I'll most likely feel the same and adapt when GCD changes its course some time down the line.

If you aren't happy with the topics up and you want more discussion topics, well...
Get posting! Make your own. People will reply to it if there's stuff to be talked about, like this one. : D You don't have to wait for the community to change when you can apply those changes yourself, slowly but surely.

Stellar Succubus

If it would be a graveyard without them then it ~should~ be a graveyard ~without~ them.

I don't see anything wrong with the threads themselves, I enjoy them. But they aren't general discussion, no matter how much they try and dress themselves up as such.

If any regular thread had so little discussion content, they'd be labeled low content and shipped out to CB.

I really think that they should all be put into a new subforum. If the GCD would slow down because of it, so be it. That's how it should be.

But I sense that the new forum would be quite popular, and the people who just wanted informative lists and to talk freely about those things could do so better, without our need for discussion restriction.

What I've noticed is that there seems to be a divide between those who just want to find lists and post in them are different from those who want in depth discussion about gaia.

Anyone who bridges between both can attend two forums without much issue.

Wild Bookworm

Magically Clueless

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(I've had no sleep even though I was supposed to go to bed hours ago, so forgive me if I say anything that makes no sense)

Okay, well, first off, you OBVIOUSLY missed my super awesome secret thread about staff shenanigans that the rest of the community was more than free to give their own input on. S'great thread. That one is a general discussion thread. ;D

Second off, I totally get where you're coming from. It's easy to see the GCD that way when you're looking from the outside (in this case, as a GCDer who hasn't been to the forum in a really long time: excuse me if I'm assuming wrong). Forums change and have new life as old users move on and new users come in, and as Gaia changes itself. It would be silly to assume that GCD would stay the same. I am not crazy about the update threads, but people don't *only* talk about the update. The conversation can go to many other things and onto other topics. The most important part about that is that it's all still valid discussion, and that valid discussion DOES bond users. There are so many items on Gaia and everyone is aware of the NPCs that those are the easiest topics to bond over. GCD is the perfect place for that to happen.

I agree that GCD wouldn't die if the item lists were gone, because we would find something else to talk about. I think that proves that GCD definitely has a community that cares, like a really big and weird awkward family of lurkers and active posters alike. Even so, it isn't like you're forbidden to make community related topics. Right now it's very quiet, so there aren't too many discussions that stray from the regular updates. We've been through a lot this past year with zOMG, several inflation fiascos, and Tektek, and we're at that point where we're all just chilling out and waiting for the next fun Gaia thing to come. As drama-less that is, it's good because that means Gaia is peaceful for the time being.

With the addition of the chats, I feel that people of GCD can bond even easier. I've been having a lot of fun on there and it's definitely a great place to bond with others and share topical information and interests at a faster pace. I personally feel it's even more about the community than it was before, but that's just me. I'm happy with how GCD is and it's like a home to me. I'll most likely feel the same and adapt when GCD changes its course some time down the line.

If you aren't happy with the topics up and you want more discussion topics, well...
Get posting! Make your own. People will reply to it if there's stuff to be talked about, like this one. : D You don't have to wait for the community to change when you can apply those changes yourself, slowly but surely.

Didn't miss your super awesome thread, it's in the 25% biggrin
I'm not a returning oldbie, by the way, I've been around through all the changes.
There's a huge difference between "bonding" through chat and in forums. The chats are private, but the forums are what makes the community, as such. They allow everyone an input.
Your last point, touché. Can't argue with that.

Wild Bookworm

VVhip
If it would be a graveyard without them then it ~should~ be a graveyard ~without~ them.

I don't see anything wrong with the threads themselves, I enjoy them. But they aren't general discussion, no matter how much they try and dress themselves up as such.

If any regular thread had so little discussion content, they'd be labeled low content and shipped out to CB.

I really think that they should all be put into a new subforum. If the GCD would slow down because of it, so be it. That's how it should be.

But I sense that the new forum would be quite popular, and the people who just wanted informative lists and to talk freely about those things could do so better, without our need for discussion restriction.

What I've noticed is that there seems to be a divide between those who just want to find lists and post in them are different from those who want in depth discussion about gaia.

Anyone who bridges between both can attend two forums without much issue.

For those who like reading and posting in item lists, would it make any difference to them if those lists were in a sub-forum? Do they need to be in the GCD main forum? To me, item lists and discussions are not really about the community, they seem to be more appropriate to Guides and Resources. They are a service, people put effort into them, they are useful, but because of their number and frequency, they are taking over what is intended to be a community discussion forum, causing everything else to fall of the first page far too quickly.

clarion's King

Super Model

Antiq
For those who like reading and posting in item lists, would it make any difference to them if those lists were in a sub-forum? Do they need to be in the GCD main forum? To me, item lists and discussions are not really about the community, they seem to be more appropriate to Guides and Resources. They are a service, people put effort into them, they are useful, but because of their number and frequency, they are taking over what is intended to be a community discussion forum, causing everything else to fall of the first page far too quickly.

While it's unfortunate, the current state of the GCD (and SF for that matter) simply reflects the content Gaia provides us. Technicalities aside (lists being "resource threads", etc), this is our community at the present time. There's only so much we can pull from our past before every other topic becomes crackpot-based, and I think we've exhausted our resources. There's nothing else to motivate us creatively. SF, of course, will continue to take on the task of immediate judgement and feedback.

So unless Gaia starts caring about things other than items (and I mean really caring about the community as they once did, and not just doing things to appease the core fan base until the next item update... which is probably in a few hours lol ) this is the way things are going to be. It's an uphill battle for sure. But I think it would be a mistake to separate lists and fanthreads in hopes that it would spark more of the discussions you're looking for. These lists have always been a part of the GCD and it needs to go back to the way it was in an organic way, not by segregating parts of it when they aren't really part of the problem in the first place.

Rare

yeah I'd say it's gotten pretty dull seeing as there's no drama over staff decisions or interest in talking about what you do on the site. but at the same time people are asking "what do you even do on Gaia anymore?" so I'd say the current state of the GCD is reflective of the state of Gaia itself

since Gaia has decided to become more item focused and release tons of s**t every day of course a forum discussing the site would talk about that. at this point what is left

Wild Bookworm

Magus
Antiq

While it's unfortunate, the current state of the GCD (and SF for that matter) simply reflects the content Gaia provides us. Technicalities aside (lists being "resource threads", etc), this is our community at the present time. There's only so much we can pull from our past before every other topic becomes crackpot-based, and I think we've exhausted our resources. There's nothing else to motivate us creatively. SF, of course, will continue to take on the task of immediate judgement and feedback.

So unless Gaia starts caring about things other than items (and I mean really caring about the community as they once did, and not just doing things to appease the core fan base until the next item update... which is probably in a few hours lol ) this is the way things are going to be. It's an uphill battle for sure. But I think it would be a mistake to separate lists and fanthreads in hopes that it would spark more of the discussions you're looking for. These lists have always been a part of the GCD and it needs to go back to the way it was in an organic way, not by segregating parts of it when they aren't really part of the problem in the first place.

Not using spoiler's because I miss the look of wordy topics xd
Crackpot-based is not all that bad, it's at least somewhat appropriate to a fantasy community. Jeez, now I'm even beginning to miss the "what-ifs"!
I understand that item based discussions were always a feature here, but there's a massive difference between the old MC and EI and gold shop updates and the current bazillion new items every day generating these threads.
I agree that Gaia's focus has moved away from attending to the spirit of the community, and I believe it's having a negative effect on the site and ultimately it's profitability. A vibrant and involved community is more likely to generate income that the current dwindling and somewhat apathetic one. Even the recent "nostalgia" event felt more like a wake than a celebration.
"look, here's an event that will remind you all of the fun you don't have any more" kind of thing. Bit sad.

Elegant Dollie's Partner

Chic Bear

I'm feeling the same way. A lot of GCD relies on Gaia to provide content in order for the forum to even be relevant anymore, and without the current culture of threads, are afraid that everything will go downhill if they're not there. That mentality always makes me shake my head, though. "Oh no, guys! The forum will crumble! We must talk about this item's wig and shoes to save it!!!111" emotion_facepalm That's how it looks to me, anyway, and it doesn't look good at all, lol.

Though, what are we gonna talk about? I can only think of a few topics from the top of my head. Seeing all these threads on the daily have made me forget what type of topics we used to have.

Ailurophilic Lolita

Eh... I was sure I saw spam topics here as well. Yesterday's spam was a lot that it took over half the first page.

For me though, browsing the GCD is like reading the daily front page news of Gaia Online. If I want to update myself on the daily happenings on Gaia, I just go to the GCD forum.

Much of the reason why there isn't much "discussion" is that there aren't really anything new/exciting in Gaia nowadays, except new items and such. That's why you see item lists because that's the only new thing people can talk about. The Gaia storyline/plot is so slow that it's almost non-existent. You'll only see discussion about it in the NPC fanthreads. Sometimes, theories on plot and characters appear, but those fade eventually. After that, there isn't much to talk about in Gaia or the community in general. Most topics that people can think about have been discussed in the past already, and that a lot of people don't like repeat threads. Events do get this forum active, but it's seasonal, so times like now are boring because nothing new and exciting happens.

I have to admit though, that Gaia should clean/remove the stickies in this forum. That Kick9 thread has been there since March.

musapan's Wife

Original Gaian

I don't see how npc fan threads aren't a positive. They're the only community threads left that even remotely resemble the community as it was before.

In fact, Gaia has always had them as long as the npcs have been around.

Wild Bookworm

EbeleRoderick
I'm feeling the same way. A lot of GCD relies on Gaia to provide content in order for the forum to even be relevant anymore, and without the current culture of threads, are afraid that everything will go downhill if they're not there. That mentality always makes me shake my head, though. "Oh no, guys! The forum will crumble! We must talk about this item's wig and shoes to save it!!!111" emotion_facepalm That's how it looks to me, anyway, and it doesn't look good at all, lol.

Though, what are we gonna talk about? I can only think of a few topics from the top of my head. Seeing all these threads on the daily have made me forget what type of topics we used to have.

Um...there used to be economy threads, but people are sick of beating that dead horse these days. Plot and storyline, that's gone completely haywire. Gaia's future...?? General criticsm, discussions of various features...
It's not only the type of discussions there used to be, but the fact that any general community discussion gets lost really quickly among the extraordinary number of daily, almost hourly, item lists, so that GCD has become item list central.
It's like having a road built for general traffic and suddenly there's a problem because the government start producing billions of bicycles and there's isn't a bicycle lane.

Wild Bookworm

Mizuiro
I don't see how npc fan threads aren't a positive. They're the only community threads left that even remotely resemble the community as it was before.

In my opening post, I classed NPC fan threads as positive. Perhaps you misread it smile

Wild Bookworm

hornworts
yeah I'd say it's gotten pretty dull seeing as there's no drama over staff decisions or interest in talking about what you do on the site. but at the same time people are asking "what do you even do on Gaia anymore?" so I'd say the current state of the GCD is reflective of the state of Gaia itself

since Gaia has decided to become more item focused and release tons of s**t every day of course a forum discussing the site would talk about that. at this point what is left

"What do you even do on Gaia" is such a sad, but pertinent topic.

musapan's Wife

Original Gaian

Antiq
Mizuiro

In my opening post, I classed NPC fan threads as positive. Perhaps you misread it smile

User Image

Oh, hahaha~ I did. Sorry! I was like "Is she insane? Those are clearly a good thing.." rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff