Welcome to Gaia! ::

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Quote:
CINCINNATI — A woman accused of injecting her 9-year-old son's intravenous-fluid line with feces turned down a plea deal Wednesday and wants a jury trial, her lawyer said.

Candida Fluty, 35, of Kermit, W.Va., was indicted in January on two counts of felonious assault and two counts of child endangerment. Her son, referred to in court documents as "E.F." because he potentially is the victim of a crime, was born with a bowel condition called Hirschsprung's disease, which causes problems with passing stool.

The boy has had numerous surgeries and uses a colostomy bag, according to the Hamilton County prosecutor's office. He had been receiving treatment in West Virginia but began coming to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center in 2011.

When he was admitted in January to Children's Hospital, prosecutors said his mother was caught on surveillance video filling a syringe with fecal matter from a colostomy bag and injecting it into his IV line, causing him to spike a fever.

"Although rare, we have seen similar cases with similar motivations," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph Deters said at the time of the indictment. "I'm just grateful that it was caught before we were confronted with a murder case."

Deters told People magazine that he didn't believe Fluty wanted to kill her child, just make him sick so the single mother could receive attention. The condition is called Munchausen syndrome by proxy though the syndrome is not mentioned in the indictment and Deters said that Fluty's son was born with his bowel disease.

Friends had multiple fundraisers to offset the family's medical bills.

On Dec. 22, the Cincinnati Bengals honored Fluty's son at a Monday Night Football game, the first time the boy had seen a game in person, according to a Facebook post from Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

On Wednesday, Assistant Prosecutor Anne Flanagan told Judge Jerome Metz Jr. of Hamilton County Common Pleas Court that an investigation is continuing into the child's hospitalization and that more charges are possible. She did not mention the terms of the plea deal that Fluty had rejected.

Authorities are trying to determine if "there were other instances that are potentially suitable for indictment," Flanagan said. Earlier this month, Fluty, who earlier had posted $50,000 bond, did not appear for a court date but a warrant for her arrest was withdrawn when she showed up a day later.

Her child is now in the custody of the West Virginia Bureau for Children and Families and is living with an aunt, prosecutors said.

If convicted on the present charges, Fluty faces up to eight years in prison. Although Metz did not set a specific date, he said Fluty's trial would begin in August.

When reporters approached Fluty for comment Wednesday outside the courtroom, she and her lawyer, Elizabeth Agar, quickly walked away.

story link

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
People like her make me sick. I hope the jury finds her guilty and judge throws the book at her!

Kawaii Shoujo

Nyadriel
People like her make me sick. I hope the jury finds her guilty and judge throws the book at her!
That goes double for me... what a sicko emotion_puke emotion_puke emotion_puke

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I remember this news story from some time ago. Maybe when they first arrested her.
It's difficult to believe she will fair well with a jury trial.
What a load of crap. stare

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Pink Diamond Dust

emotion_awesome emotion_awesome emotion_awesome

But really though. Assholes like this should immediately lose all custody, be foricbly sterilized, and cut off from the children, sick, and elderly. That or killed. They're detrimental to society. One almost murdered my cousin.

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
Alexander J Luthor
Pink Diamond Dust

But really though. Assholes like this should immediately lose all custody, be foricbly sterilized, and cut off from the children, sick, and elderly. That or killed. They're detrimental to society. One almost murdered my cousin.

Munchausen syndrome by proxy is never a good thing. She obviously needs help and needs to be kept away from anyone who she might be able to prey on. I remember the story of a nurse in the prenatal unit of a hospital who had it. They don't care if they make a mistake and can't save the victim, not as long as it gets them the attention they so crave.

Kawaii Guildswoman

8,050 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Loiterer 100
This kind of stuff is just messed up. Completely messed up. emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Timid Phantom

16,650 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Fluff Rehab 200
If she has any other kids, she should lose them too. She is a selfish, heartless a*****e.

I hope she NEVER gets her kids back.
Then watch, she's going to get stupider and think kidnapping is a good solution. Wait till she has bricks thrown at her head, then she'll learn what a mess-up humanoid she is.
Alexander J Luthor
Pink Diamond Dust

Agreed.

Feral Nymph

I have a hard time believing this is Munchhausen's as he could have very easily gone septic and died.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
That's just sick

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Pessimist
I have a hard time believing this is Munchhausen's as he could have very easily gone septic and died.

A lot of children are killed by a mother suffering from munchhausen. Most do not intend to kill their child only make them more sick but their continued actions to sicken a child can eventually kill the child. They don't think of the long term outcome or potential death, just the immediate attention they will gain from a sick child. That's why if they kill their child they have another to continue the cycle, the child is just how they go about getting attention, hence the by proxy.
I have a question about this Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Does this count as Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

There is this father. He just found out that in his country if his child is sick then he can get a day off of work and get paid for it. However he often calls in saying his daughter is sick. But the employer is getting suspicious and asks for a doctor's note because his daughter was sick so often, so he purposely makes her sick so he can take her to the doctor and get a note and get paid for staying at home. He is not making his daughter sick for attention. He is doing this to get paid for doing nothing because his daughter is "sick" Does this count as "Munchausen syndrome by proxy" or is it only done if the parent makes the child sick for attention. Unfortunately the above is a true story but the child was taken from the father fortunately.
That's pretty ******** up. Though NOBODY should ever do that to someone; the fact that it's the parent who's done it to their kid, is extremely sickening.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff