Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Vampire

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-news-updates/staff-updates/t.63632027_1304/#1304

Quote:
Forum Ch-ch-changes

Hey Gaians,

We wanted to give you an update on a couple of changes to the forums we'll be doing. First off, the Sign Shops, Requests, Contests subforum will be closing. The subforum will be archived on April 30, 2015. For more information, especially if you're a shop owner, please check our announcement regarding the closure here.

Finally, we've heard your requests for an Adoptables subforum and we've gone ahead and opened it up! You can find the Adoptables subforum here. It is a subforum of the Mini Shops main forum. If you're looking to buy or sell Adoptables, this is the place to do it!

We want to thank everyone for their feedback and suggestions and keep an eye out for more forum updates in the future!

For those of you who don't have Staff Alerts active, the Signs subforum will be closing within the next few days. I have been ambivalent on the sign stores/etc. on here ever since my joining and for a few users, it means their source of revenue will be drying up.

However, what does the Gaia populace think of this new change?

Discussion points:
Will this impact users who utilize this subforum as a source of revenue?
Was this a good idea to shut down this subforum?
Adoptables have a place to call home! Yay or nay?
What other forums should they look into taking down/archiving?
What forums should be formed?

Feel free to add your own discussion points, but please keep it civil.

*I would've made a thread on this the day this Staff Alert was released, but I wasn't able to get on the computer.*

Perfect Saint

I can see why they would want to close that forum. I just find it a bit worrying that the site is compressing when they remove forums and subforums. Like the purple shift of the universe, Gaia has reached the maximum dispersal and now is being drawn back towards itself. There may not be enough people to fill the site like before and interest does wane.

They may be targeting the z!F soon as some are speculating. I rather they didn't, but what else are we going to do there? I still visit daily and post whenever I can, but basically, it's just to explain to people why the game was removed. Maybe, Gaia could keep it around for posterity, but it does send mixed signals and perhaps false hope. Interestingly, someone noted that while the Heralds of Chaos is somewhat available for playing, its forum has been archived long ago. What does that say for a forum that outlived its game?

Probably a good thing to ask during the AtS. I do remember Zero Omega saying something about the forum being kept around. Wish I kept the link.

/clings to z!F

Tiny Werewolf

As a user who used to have shops there, I'm glad they're shutting it down. It was fine for me until I started getting upwards of 10 pms a day asking for Skype shows and the like. It was disturbing to know that they were probably getting "shows" from underage users. And that there was pretty much illegal dealings going on for gold.

Even if I got gold from making a few signs, it wasn't worth it to deal with people I'd much rather be locking up. It was disgusting. I'm sure others had better experiences there, but I just felt like I needed to take a shower after every sign I made.

Not even to mention the even weirder people who would ask for fetish signs. Yuck.

Stubborn Gifter

Not gonna lie that I once went to the sign shop forum few years ago just out of curiosity. All I could say at that time was that I don't find it interesting of people posting either of themselves and/or writing their usernames on the papers and that's all. Heck, I didn't know until nogitsunbae pointed out about being illegal just to get gold. We might as well call the sign shop as prostitution shop. >.>;

But anyway, if it's to stop the underage legalization, I say good job to Gaia. Way to think ways to protect those who are underage. However, it doesn't mean it will stop sellers to make a sign shop thread in any location of the Mini-Art Shop.

In other words, yay for Adoptable shop forums. I have seen people having adoptable pets in their signatures and I don't mind them having their own forum.

Eternal Hellraiser

Myrielle
I can see why they would want to close that forum. I just find it a bit worrying that the site is compressing when they remove forums and subforums. Like the purple shift of the universe, Gaia has reached the maximum dispersal and now is being drawn back towards itself. There may not be enough people to fill the site like before and interest does wane.

They may be targeting the z!F soon as some are speculating. I rather they didn't, but what else are we going to do there? I still visit daily and post whenever I can, but basically, it's just to explain to people why the game was removed. Maybe, Gaia could keep it around for posterity, but it does send mixed signals and perhaps false hope. Interestingly, someone noted that while the Heralds of Chaos is somewhat available for playing, its forum has been archived long ago. What does that say for a forum that outlived its game?

Probably a good thing to ask during the AtS. I do remember Zero Omega saying something about the forum being kept around. Wish I kept the link.

/clings to z!F

They also opened up the separate forum for the breedable/collectable, adoptables.. whatever you wanna call them. I know those are still hugely popular.
      I don't think gaia's compressing the site tbh. & sign shops aren't going away, simply moved to CB. Which isn't that big of a deal. People have successful art shops there. Sign shops could make it too.

The changes seemed to me to be more about protecting underage people tbh. The added rules and stuff seemed to scream that to me. & will likely soon be applied to other shops as well.

At op: There was enough demand for you to make the signs, there will still be enough demand to keep making them. It'd just be a question of if you end up making a "mega-thread" for sign-makers to keep it bumped up in CB or not.

Cottontail

I for one am very glad they've implemented these strict rules against RLC "fan sign" commissions
That forum has grown pretty dicey over the years and I noticed it got a lot worse once RLC offers became a thing
And throwing underage kids into the mix... Ew. Just ew.
Good job Gaia for getting that smut off the site emotion_brofist

I don't have a problem with sign shops in general, I think they're cute - it's just the nasty ones that were awful emotion_puke
Btw I'm glad they've been listening so much to the userbase lately, creating that new Adoptables subforum people
have been asking for. I don't use the Adoptables shops myself but I know they're popular and something lots will
be happy with cat_4laugh

Alien Invader

I'm actually really glad the signs subforum got removed, there were a lot of.. really uncomfortable things going on there with underaged kids. I remember it being nicer before, but after a while it kind of became a venue for users to pay girls as young as 15 for pretty explicit pictures of themselves.. it didn't seem like an okay thing, really creepy.

Signs as a general thing can be nice, but there were a lot of sign shops in that forum that were just terrible. emotion_0A0 I'm glad Gaia got rid of it and is making an effort to prevent stuff like this from happening on the site.

It's also nice that staff implemented an Adoptables subforum, people have been asking for one forever and I know a lot of people love adoptables. 3nodding It's good that the userbase is being listened to so much more now.
nogitsunbae
As a user who used to have shops there, I'm glad they're shutting it down. It was fine for me until I started getting upwards of 10 pms a day asking for Skype shows and the like. It was disturbing to know that they were probably getting "shows" from underage users. And that there was pretty much illegal dealings going on for gold.

Even if I got gold from making a few signs, it wasn't worth it to deal with people I'd much rather be locking up. It was disgusting. I'm sure others had better experiences there, but I just felt like I needed to take a shower after every sign I made.

Not even to mention the even weirder people who would ask for fetish signs. Yuck.
Eww just eww.

I can't believe it took them this long to take down the forum despite those of us warning how easy it is for ***** and other creepers to abuse the system. It would be one thing if this were a 18 and up forum but there are kids as young as 13 on here.

Perfect Saint

Elinoi
Myrielle

/clings to z!F

They also opened up the separate forum for the breedable/collectable, adoptables.. whatever you wanna call them. I know those are still hugely popular.
      I don't think gaia's compressing the site tbh. & sign shops aren't going away, simply moved to CB. Which isn't that big of a deal. People have successful art shops there. Sign shops could make it too.

The changes seemed to me to be more about protecting underage people tbh. The added rules and stuff seemed to scream that to me. & will likely soon be applied to other shops as well.

At op: There was enough demand for you to make the signs, there will still be enough demand to keep making them. It'd just be a question of if you end up making a "mega-thread" for sign-makers to keep it bumped up in CB or not.
Perhaps. I've lost the Heralds of Chaos forum before. It's like many of my main homes get boarded up. Maybe I'm a jinx? If I've made a home of the SF and GCD, they too, will be soon to go?

I do really notice less people around Gaia. Probably come summer, they'll be back, but it does get quite lonely at times compared to the golden age of this site.

Mythical Shoujo

13,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I've actually been hoping a good number of smaller subforums could be shut down and merged into their mother forum. Forum activity has been gradually slower, it seems, and dividing it up so hard is just watering down chances for people to talk.

I do think that by itself, the shutdown was good, though. It seemed largely unused and they can still re-open in the regular mini-shops. 3nodding
If the feature or interest is still around with consistent traffic, I think they can be persuaded into re-opening closed subforums. I think the ones in Hot Topics get reopened when the season for the shows come around.

Rare

tbh it makes sense the signs forum was closed because it was just creeps asking for almost n***s

Loyal Shapeshifter

44,390 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Winged 100
I'm glad that forum is shutting down. Honestly, I never even understood why Gaia allowed the shops, let alone made a forum for them, in the 1st place. Would have been better if they just banned them altogether. But at least closing the forum will bring less attention to the concept and maybe, just maybe, we'll no longer see the fruits of that forum. Probably wishful thinking but hey, at least it'll be reduced.

As for the Adoptables, OMG YES! I asked Zero about this on two occasions during AtS, and got a reply both times they were looking into it. Took about...8 months from the time I first asked. But thank goodness it's done. Those things were overrunning the Minishop forum and they sure didn't belong in Breedables.

Invisible Codger

15,350 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
They also said something about the requests forum being closed-is that the same forum where art buyers post their threads or is that a totally different forum?

+
I had no idea the signs sub forums was so seedy.

Alien Elder

27,440 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Candy Massacre 50
xd Only went there once and I was thinking 'stuff like this is ACTUALLY ALLOWED here?'

If the move is to protect minors, I'm all for it. I've seen too many 'small naughty stuff' get harmful in the long run because someone got too sleazy...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff