Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angelic Nitemare

Wren_Fritsche
~ It's sad but I find when people charge prices like that I have a hard time looking at them as artists. Artists enjoy what they do. I don't want to be a job or something unpleasant in the day (which paying that kind of price. I can't help but feel that when I see the result). The art in my sig was done by someone who didn't charge an outrageous sum for her art.

Samanthai just genuinely loves drawing and so price isn't as important (I paid with Cesi the gorgon griffon). I love quite a few of the cheaper works I've gotten because people actually enjoyed drawing Shintyl and because of that I find their artwork so much more satisfying than something I'd paid more gold for just saying.

I think those charging so much have lost site of the meaning behind art which isn't to make money but to have fun. ^__^

FYI I've stopped looking for art since so many have raised their prices and others got bullied into it. I mean no disrespect I just don't agree with the turn. ~

*This post has been brought to you by Baby Fafnir. User Image
So you do not believe an artist should be compensated properly for services rendered?

Because you might not see it as a job, but ANY artist sees it was work. It might be a labor of love, but not expecting an artist to receive proper compensation for art devalues what they do as a chosen way of life, and in some cases, means of support.

Not every artist on Gaia does it for a living, true, but many do. And they factor in what they would charge for a real life commission of the same level for the art, and figure in what it would equate to roughly in gold and item value. And allow it to be bought for pixels and numbers, instead of real life things they may need/want.

If you get art as a gift, you say thank you. I usually send a gift as a thank you! But seeing someone saying they believe an artist shouldn't be properly compensated, irritates me to no end. Being a mini shop artist is like doing your job essentially for peanuts for what folks expect.

Be thankful. Be respectful. Be generous.

Kawaii Kitty

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

you can't ask someone to make you something for nothing.

artists work damn hard. It's not just the time that has gone into your individual piece, it's also all the time that artist has spent honing their skills, as well.

Art is highly underappreciated.
It is a specific skill that takes lots of practice and oftentimes an artist will work for multiple hours on a single piece.

You're asking them to work, and use highly specific skills, for less than minimum wage.

And in this case, their payment is virtual.

No one has any case to be upset.

That art not in your price range? Find one that is, or save up.

Trash Vampire

emotion_eyebrow Ok and? Gold value goes down, prices go up all across the board. No one owes you art bro; it's a luxury, not a right. Pay up or get over it, artists aren't here to be your cheap slave labor.

Unstoppable Hoarder

If anyone expects me to pay for art they better be able to draw better than me.

Deus-ex Potato

55,475 Points
  • not released 500
  • God From a Machine 500
  • Smol Grump 500
Art takes as much work to create as teachers work to create their worksheets for class.
Art takes as much effort as scientists take in order to get every detail correct so their end result is flawless.
Art takes as much time as farmers take in order to grow their crops.

Art is just as much a job as anything else. Yes, art is fun, and that's why artists do what they do.
Guess what?
Most teachers teach because they love to teach.
Scientists do science because they love to discover.
Farmers farm because that is what they want to do.

If such logic as "Art is meant to be fun, so it shouldn't be paid for!" was true, then there would be nobody out there working a career that they love.
The love everyone puts into their work, no matter what it is, is not just for you or the patron or the consumer.

You want a work done for you? You want the skill an artist (or anyone else) has that you do not have?
Pay for it, or trade your skill in return.
That's how jobs work. It's called making a living, even if it's on a pixel site.
Artists need to find a way to live as well.

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
Ridley Starsmore
Wren_Fritsche
~ It's sad but I find when people charge prices like that I have a hard time looking at them as artists. Artists enjoy what they do. I don't want to be a job or something unpleasant in the day (which paying that kind of price. I can't help but feel that when I see the result). The art in my sig was done by someone who didn't charge an outrageous sum for her art.

Samanthai just genuinely loves drawing and so price isn't as important (I paid with Cesi the gorgon griffon). I love quite a few of the cheaper works I've gotten because people actually enjoyed drawing Shintyl and because of that I find their artwork so much more satisfying than something I'd paid more gold for just saying.

I think those charging so much have lost site of the meaning behind art which isn't to make money but to have fun. ^__^

FYI I've stopped looking for art since so many have raised their prices and others got bullied into it. I mean no disrespect I just don't agree with the turn. ~

So you do not believe an artist should be compensated properly for services rendered?

Because you might not see it as a job, but ANY artist sees it was work. It might be a labor of love, but not expecting an artist to receive proper compensation for art devalues what they do as a chosen way of life, and in some cases, means of support.

Not every artist on Gaia does it for a living, true, but many do. And they factor in what they would charge for a real life commission of the same level for the art, and figure in what it would equate to roughly in gold and item value. And allow it to be bought for pixels and numbers, instead of real life things they may need/want.

If you get art as a gift, you say thank you. I usually send a gift as a thank you! But seeing someone saying they believe an artist shouldn't be properly compensated, irritates me to no end. Being a mini shop artist is like doing your job essentially for peanuts for what folks expect.

It doesn't change my feelings on the subject. Art is a passion when it is a gift to someone special when some emotion moves you to do it for someone else.

Am I saying to not compensate? Hell no and I never said that!

I said that art isn't about money or price not when it is a chore to evidently do. Also if you want money then RLC there are other sites and I encourage others to see how many are knocking down your door. I see that as far better then trying to get that on here anyways. Far more profitable if that's what art means to you then fine.

(story from 2007)
I remember doing some pics for a couple of friends once when I just joined. I did full body, full color, w/ bg images. I remember each one I sat down and spent 2 days working on them. It was an act I thoroughly enjoyed (and I do miss being able to showcase). They asked me how much I wanted and I charged them 10k (back in 2007) because some ridiculously cheap item (and was cheap back then) was at 30k. I drew 5 pictures like that of 5 different avatars. I made 50k over that month it took a lot of time and effort, but it made me happy that I was making someone else happy and I still was able to get a nitemare parasol which I felt was compensation enough for me. Does that mean my art is only worth 700 mil? Hell no. But would I make them feel bad because that's all I got. Again a big No.

I see this discussion alot and like I said I can't view people as artists when they don't eb and flow with the inflation (which is far lower now). 100 bil per 10 bucks hah! I'm lucky if I make 50 bil off a 999 item.

Today if I were to put up a shop I'd probably charge a couple billion sure, but not for just chibis or just busts or blurry pics of a picture I drew in an hour. I'd still do the best pic and try for the best quality I could manage for that little incentive even though I think I could still make more if I were to draw for RLC (for reference I've made 50 dollars for a tattoo reference once and I've done 3 others for free because they were friends of my parents), and I don't feel I get that effort from every artist. Though the couple I showcased in my sig I did. I felt they undersold themselves and I was so grateful for that opportunity they gave me and I hope that they give others such chances as they deserve to be called artists, because art is to be shared to make friends not business partners. ^_^

Rare

tbh for the effort that some artists here put in and considering that it would probably be better to ask for rl commissions artists should be charging even more than that :/

if you can't respect artists and their work enough to pay the price, then you don't deserve to have that art at all

Rare

Wren_Fritsche
Ridley Starsmore
Wren_Fritsche

It doesn't change my feelings on the subject. Art is a passion when it is a gift to someone special when some emotion moves you to do it for someone else.

I said that art isn't about money or price not when it is a chore to evidently do. Also if you want money then RLC there are other sites and I encourage others to see how many are knocking down your door. I see that as far better then trying to get that on here anyways. Far more profitable if that's what art means to you then fine.

(story from 2007)
I remember doing some pics for a couple of friends once when I just joined. I did full body, full color, w/ bg images. I remember each one I sat down and spent 2 days working on them. It was an act I thoroughly enjoyed (and I do miss being able to showcase). They asked me how much I wanted and I charged them 10k (back in 2007) because some ridiculously cheap item (and was cheap back then) was at 30k. I drew 5 pictures like that of 5 different avatars. I made 50k over that month it took a lot of time and effort, but it made me happy that I was making someone else happy and I still was able to get a nitemare parasol which I felt was compensation enough for me. Does that mean my art is only worth 700 mil? Hell no. But would I make them feel bad because that's all I got. Again a big No.

I see this discussion alot and like I said I can't view people as artists when they don't eb and flow with the inflation (which is far lower now). 100 bil per 10 bucks hah! I'm lucky if I make 50 bil off a 999 item.

Today if I were to put up a shop I'd probably charge a couple billion sure, but not for just chibis or just busts or blurry pics of a picture they drew. I'd still do the best pic and try for the best quality I could manage for that little incentive even though I think I could still make more if I were to draw for RLC (for reference I've made 50 dollars for a tattoo reference once and I've done 3 others for free because they were friends of my parents), and I don't feel I get that effort from every artist. Though the couple I showcased in my sig I did. I felt they undersold themselves and I was so grateful for that opportunity they gave me and I hope that they give others such chances as they deserve to be called artists, because art is to be shared to make friends not business partners. ^_^

"I don't see art as work and therefore artists shouldn't see it that way either. I also think it's silly for artists to charge prices according to what gold is valued."

k

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

Wren_Fritsche
Ridley Starsmore
Wren_Fritsche

(story from 2007)

Today if I were to put up a shop I'd probably charge a couple billion sure, but not for just chibis or just busts or blurry pics of a picture I drew in an hour. I'd still do the best pic and try for the best quality I could manage for that little incentive even though I think I could still make more if I were to draw for RLC (for reference I've made 50 dollars for a tattoo reference once and I've done 3 others for free because they were friends of my parents), and I don't feel I get that effort from every artist. Though the couple I showcased in my sig I did. I felt they undersold themselves and I was so grateful for that opportunity they gave me and I hope that they give others such chances as they deserve to be called artists, because art is to be shared to make friends not business partners. ^_^

But that kind of thinking is damaging towards artists as a whole because then the artists that DO see art as a job or livelyhood get a bunch of customers saying "Why are your prices so high? xxx is charging this much, lower your prices it's unfair!!!"

You pay people what you owe. You compensate for their services.
And this is just my personal thinking but:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Sure art is a passion, but nobody deserves to be shortchanged or have their arm twisted into doing work for free or way too cheap.

Hygienic Fatcat

sis you better look at the average rl commissions out there
you shouldn't be complaining about virtual $$ prices at all. lol

Deus-ex Potato

55,475 Points
  • not released 500
  • God From a Machine 500
  • Smol Grump 500
Wren_Fritsche

It doesn't change my feelings on the subject. Art is a passion when it is a gift to someone special when some emotion moves you to do it for someone else. (1)

I said that art isn't about money or price not when it is a chore to evidently do. (2)Also if you want money then RLC there are other sites and I encourage others to see how many are knocking down your door. I see that as far better then trying to get that on here anyways. Far more profitable if that's what art means to you then fine.

(story from 2007)
I remember doing some pics for a couple of friends once when I just joined. I did full body, full color, w/ bg images. I remember each one I sat down and spent 2 days working on them. It was an act I thoroughly enjoyed (and I do miss being able to showcase). They asked me how much I wanted and I charged them 10k (back in 2007) (3)because some ridiculously cheap item (and was cheap back then) was at 30k. I drew 5 pictures like that of 5 different avatars. I made 50k over that month it took a lot of time and effort, but it made me happy that I was making someone else happy and I still was able to get a nitemare parasol which I felt was compensation enough for me. Does that mean my art is only worth 700 mil? Hell no. But would I make them feel bad because that's all I got. Again a big No.

I see this discussion alot and like I said I can't view people as artists when they don't eb and flow with the inflation (which is far lower now). 100 bil per 10 bucks hah! I'm lucky if I make 50 bil off a 999 item. (4)

Today if I were to put up a shop... I'd probably charge a couple billion sure, but not for just chibis or just busts or blurry pics of a picture I drew in an hour. ...I'd still do the best pic and try for the best quality I could manage... for that little incentive even though I think I could still make more if I were to draw for RLC (for reference I've made 50 dollars for a tattoo reference once and I've done 3 others for free because they were friends of my parents), ...and I don't feel I get that effort from every artist (5). Though the couple I showcased in my sig I did. I felt they undersold themselves and I was so grateful for that opportunity they gave me and I hope that they give others such chances as they deserve to be called artists, because art is to be shared to make friends not business partners. (6) ^_^

(1) I hope you just realized that you just suggested that any artist that tries to make a living off their work is not passionate about it and does not deserve to be called an artist. Therefore, your argument is that there is not a single artist out there who can try to make money off their art to feed themselves and get themselves a home or support others they may be taking care of -- who can still be passionate about and love their work.

(2) It is a chore to keep the talking in a classroom to a minimum and try to teach material to a bunch of kids that may or may not understand to a teacher, but they can still enjoy what they do. It is because it is a chore that they are paid to do it. They are offering their skill as a teacher. They're going out of their way to do this. They don't have to, but they do. Compensate them for that. The same goes for artists. They don't have to offer their art to anyone else. It's not a naturally given right. People were not born with the right to receive art from others. It is a skill, and they are paid in order to utilize that skill. This does not make an artist any less passionate about their work because if that were the case, say goodbye to every single museum, concert, tour, statue, sculpture, piece of architecture, historical building, landscaping, and a ton of other things out there. Guess what? That's art. That's paid for. And compensated for. And it takes love and passion to do it.

(3) Yes, but that's 2007. This is 2015. 8 years later.

(4) I'm sorry you seem to be unable to make larger quantities of gold from expensive GC items; however, your personal accounts not backed up by sufficient data of the average amount of gold made per 999 GC item does not suffice as proper evidence to your perceived lack of inflation. As far as I am concerned, there are still a lot of GC items out there that are worth far more than the 10 dollar :: 100 billion ratio. Such data depends on the item itself, it's popularity, the popularity of the colour, the demand, and its supply alongside its GC price, rendering this point moot in your defense.

(5) I can see your frustrations here. When an artist does not put forth much effort and makes sales of work that they are not proud of, then here, I understand where you might be tempted not to call them artists. Because when one is paid for their skill, they are being paid to do a good job (or as good of a job as they were paid) to do by the consumer. However, where is one to say who is and is not doing a good job when it comes to art? Some people are willing to pay hefty prices for simple pieces and are happy to. That is their choice, and who is the artist to question them for doing so? This judgment is dependent on the artist and the consumer. That is their agreement. No one else's.

(6) I'm glad to hear that you were able to get art for a nice price; it is always cool to hear of generosity and it makes the world look like a brighter place than it is; however, again, personal accounts do nothing more than to fuel opinion and not the true facts of the world. The true facts are that artists are just as much people looking to make some form of living off their skill as anyone else. Yes, being generous is always kind, but again, charging the full value for one's work does not make someone any less of an artist than they are. Do realize that many artists we see and admire nowadays didn't even get recognition or true appreciation for their art until they were dead. And this does not only apply to visual artists. Musicians, writers, all people that work in what is called the Arts -- already have it bad with others viewing their skills as "not jobs" or "not as much as a job as other skills." They are not hired as often as others. They do not get paid as much -- even if they put more effort forth. To say that they cannot ask for the prices that they deserve to undermine their entire skill and career and reduce it to something valueless. "Art is meant to be shared to make friends, not business partners"? Artists don't make art to make friends. Artists don't make art to make business partners. Artists make art to make art; do not forget this. They may sometimes create and give art for friends as acts of kindness or thanks, and they may sometimes take up commissions to make an extra dollar, but do not call artists tools that are just out there to make nice with everyone. Do not call their hard work and time and effort spent little baubles or pieces made just so they can impress others. That is the exact opposite of passion and love for one's work. Artists make art for the sake of art, and their art is their skill -- their primary skill for making themselves a home in the world. To say that one cannot be allowed to make a living when it is sometimes the only skill they can offer and that people will buy? Take a look at all other specialists out there, no matter what the field, then consider judging them for trying to feed themselves again.

Case and point: Gaia is free. Gaia's pixel money is free. It is valueless. When one pays for art on Gaia, it is FREE art. With fake currency. It is a bargain. That is true generosity to give away that skill: something that could be worth anywhere from one to THOUSANDS of dollars for a little yellow icon depicting a golden coin? To condemn an artist for making free art? For a simply pleasure as a pixel item? That is cruel. That is not deserved. Consider that as well.

Kujura's Other Half

Spicy Friend

36,175 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
I personally get rarely customers at all, even though I'd be already happy with around 5b -shrugs-
rolleyes Sure because a lawyer does pro bono once, means all lawyers should pro bono. If they don't, then they can't be called lawyers because they aren't passionate about their jobs to do the right thing (for the right people) always.

.... Getting 50B from 999GC is really poor investment. Most people who invest savvy will cash in 70-90B for 999GC, savvier ones- even more so.

If people will buy it means the price is right. People who say it isn't worth it, etc, can have their opinion. Customers will tell you otherwise. Uber popular artists on Gaia do have RL commissions and eventually leave Gaia to pursue them- people wanting their art cheaper than RL should grab them before they go.

Perfect Saint

I haven't commissioned anything since 2006. I can't bring myself to pay today's rates.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff