Welcome to Gaia! ::

rockof5
Law Abiding Citizen
rockof5
Law Abiding Citizen
rockof5
Law Abiding Citizen
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Or maybe you misunderstood what you were saying since the quote belongs to you. Either way, you were called a troll in the other topic. lol

ok then i'll let you guys fight things out, keep it clean, and no getting counted out.
I'm requesting this gets turned into a no countout match! surprised

Alright alright it's no holds barred...loser has to watch no holds barred.
I might lose just so I can watch the movie! surprised
you really don't want to watch it, just like ready to rumble.
I'm man enough to admit that I liked Ready To Rumble. I always hoped WWE would make a similar kind of movie.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
n00bian god
rumblestiltskin its ur serve now

*nods with determination*

black_wing_angel
However, on the same side, if you walked up to a random person, and asked them who Tyrion Lannister is, the "staggering majority" will look at you blankly. Even though he's a character in an incredibly popular show.

Sure...The staggering majority might not know who he is...however, since GoT pulls in twice the ratings, you're more likely to find people who know Tyrion Lanister than Roman Reigns. Common knowledge is a sign of interest...and no one outside of wrestling fans are talking about Roman Reigns...that's the point. At least with GoT, sure, the average person might not know the characters, but they've more than likely heard of the show and have a vague idea of what it's about.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
n00bian god
rumblestiltskin its ur serve now

*nods with determination*

black_wing_angel
However, on the same side, if you walked up to a random person, and asked them who Tyrion Lannister is, the "staggering majority" will look at you blankly. Even though he's a character in an incredibly popular show.

Sure...The staggering majority might not know who he is...however, since GoT pulls in twice the ratings, you're more likely to find people who know Tyrion Lanister than Roman Reigns. Common knowledge is a sign of interest...and no one outside of wrestling fans are talking about Roman Reigns...that's the point.

And nobody outside of GoT fans are talking about Tyrion. That is not, in itself, a sign of low interest.

Quote:
At least with GoT, sure, the average person might not know the characters, but they've more than likely heard of the show and have a vague idea of what it's about.

Are you suggesting that the staggering majority of people have no idea what the WWE is, even if they give zero ******** about it?

I find that entirely unlikely. If only by their merch and advertising presence.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
And nobody outside of GoT fans are talking about Tyrion.

Yeah, cause it's not like Peter Dinklage hasn't done the talk show circuit for his work on the show or anything....OH WAIT...Yes he ******** has. You really want to make this comparison...call me when Roman Reigns does ANYTHING outside of the WWE that involves the media.

Quote:
That is not, in itself, a sign of low interest.

Umm...Yeah...it actually is. If people aren't talking about it and don't care to follow it...it IS a sign of low interest...especially considering that people will know the WWE name right off the bat...that is, if they aren't still calling it the WWF (which still happens).

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the staggering majority of people have no idea what the WWE is, even if they give zero ******** about it?

No. I'm suggesting that the average person doesn't know the roster or the storylines that are currently ongoing in the WWE.

Quote:
I find that entirely unlikely.

Which is why I didn't say that.

Quote:
If only by their merch and advertising presence.

Or, more likely, the longevity of the company that USED to be a lot more popular. I'm not saying people don't know the WWE...if you tell someone you watch wrestling, they will immediately think of the WWE. However, that doesn't mean that the show has generated anywhere near the amount of interest that they used to have...especially when all signs are pointing towards the opposite.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
And nobody outside of GoT fans are talking about Tyrion.

Yeah, cause it's not like Peter Dinklage hasn't done the talk show circuit for his work on the show or anything....OH WAIT...Yes he ******** has. You really want to make this comparison...call me when Roman Reigns does ANYTHING outside of the WWE that involves the media.

Why should he? He's meant to appeal to wrestling fans. Even Hulk Hogan didn't just up and become a world renowned name, overnight. Or without reason. He did things besides just wrestling. And that's fine, but also unnecessary.

Who cares if people who are not remotely interested in wrestling, don't know the names of wrestlers they don't care about?

Quote:
That is not, in itself, a sign of low interest.

Umm...Yeah...it actually is. If people aren't talking about it and don't care to follow it...it IS a sign of low interest...especially considering that people will know the WWE name right off the bat...that is, if they aren't still calling it the WWF (which still happens).

So...let me get this straight. You think it's a bad thing that the only people talking about wrestling...are the people who actually watch it?

Quote:
Quote:

No. I'm suggesting that the average person doesn't know the roster or the storylines that are currently ongoing in the WWE.

Why would they, if they are not fans?

Quote:
Quote:
If only by their merch and advertising presence.

Or, more likely, the longevity of the company that USED to be a lot more popular. I'm not saying people don't know the WWE...if you tell someone you watch wrestling, they will immediately think of the WWE. However, that doesn't mean that the show has generated anywhere near the amount of interest that they used to have...especially when all signs are pointing towards the opposite.

Dude, you're trying to rewrite history, I think. In the history of the entire company, there have been a HANDFUL of wrestlers who's names were known outside of the target fanbase. Immediately I think of Andre, Hogan, Austin, Rock, and maybe Taker. And it was not a sign that the COMPANY drew interest. Just that those individuals did. Do you ever hear people talk about Koko B. Ware? Scotty 2 Hotty? s**t, even Scott Steiner or Booker T? No. You know why? Because they never extended beyond the ring. So nobody outside of the fanbase has heard of them.

It's not that interest is low. It's not that interest was ever high. Just that some names become larger than the company, or even industry. But that s**t also didn't happen overnight, either. Nobody outside of wrestling fans knew who Hogan was, until he played in Rocky 3. Andre...well because he was freakishly large. Also, he played in that movie.

Austin is a bit of an exception, but for arguably the wrong reasons. He was known world-wide by his name alone, even by non-fans....because he was controversial. Not because interest in the company was high ( it actually was a devestatingly low point, you may recall), but because soccer moms bitched about their children watching a guy who was very much not a role-model, on TV, even if only in passing.

So.....please explain to me what the bloody ******** you're bitching about.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Why should he? He's meant to appeal to wrestling fans. Even Hulk Hogan didn't just up and become a world renowned name, overnight. Or without reason. He did things besides just wrestling. And that's fine, but also unnecessary.

No one said he had to do it overnight. And Hogan is another bad comparison for you to pull out, because while he did other things, it was BECAUSE of his popularity in wrestling that he was able to do it. People knew who the ******** he was, which is why he got starring roles in movies.

Quote:
Who cares if people who are not remotely interested in wrestling, don't know the names of wrestlers they don't care about?

I don't care...but you're claiming that "only the IWC has lost interest" and that's simply not the case.

Quote:
So...let me get this straight. You think it's a bad thing that the only people talking about wrestling...are the people who actually watch it?

Dude...come on...when did I ever say anything about "this is bad"....but if you're claiming that there's all this interest in the WWE product, when there isn't, then you're wrong.

Also...if you aren't watching the product....why would you be talking about it...seriously...

Quote:

Which is my point, exactly. There isn't nearly as much interest as you're claiming there is. If there was, there'd be more people watching the show and subscribed to the network.

Quote:
Dude, you're trying to rewrite history, I think.

No...I'm really not.

Quote:
In the history of the entire company, there have been a HANDFUL of wrestlers who's names were known outside of the target fanbase. Immediately I think of Andre, Hogan, Austin, Rock, and maybe Taker.

You might be able to throw Jericho on that list, but at best, he'd still be a mid-level celebrity...not nearly at the star power of the others you mentioned. And I don't know if you could really add Taker to the list if you couldn't add Jericho to the list. Oh, but Flair would definitely be on there. I mean, sure, he wasn't doing Hollywood movies, but he was a huge celebrity back in the 70s...though if we're just sticking to "guys who were able to cross over into the entertainment industry," then maybe don't add him.

Quote:
And it was not a sign that the COMPANY drew interest.

Actually it was. Those guys were well known, because there was interest in the product, so they were able to do more things outside of wrestling to draw even more interest to the product.

Quote:
Just that those individuals did. Do you ever hear people talk about Koko B. Ware? Scotty 2 Hotty? s**t, even Scott Steiner or Booker T? No. You know why? Because they never extended beyond the ring. So nobody outside of the fanbase has heard of them.

Where did I say that "every star in the current roster has to be known"...I haven't. I picked Roman Reigns cause he's going to be main eventing the biggest show of the year and no one outside of a wrestling audience knows who the ******** he is.

Quote:
It's not that interest is low. It's not that interest was ever high. Just that some names become larger than the company, or even industry. But that s**t also didn't happen overnight, either.

Which, again, no one said it had to happen overnight. But in the last 8 years, the only person who has been able to gain any sort of attention on the national level for the WWE was Chris Benoit...

Quote:
Nobody outside of wrestling fans knew who Hogan was, until he played in Rocky 3.

....You do realize that "nobody outside of wrestling fans" was a pretty small group of people at that time, right...Wrestling was pretty popular in the 70s and 80s. It's why territories were able to thrive. People only had a small selection of shows they could watch at the time, and wrestling was one of them...so people watched it. So yeah, people knew who the ******** Hogan was...WHICH IS WHY HE WAS CAST.

Quote:
Andre...well because he was freakishly large. Also, he played in that movie.

Princess Bride came out two years after the first WM...people knew who he was before hand.

Quote:
Austin is a bit of an exception, but for arguably the wrong reasons. He was known world-wide by his name alone, even by non-fans....because he was controversial. Not because interest in the company was high ( it actually was a devestatingly low point, you may recall), but because soccer moms bitched about their children watching a guy who was very much not a role-model, on TV, even if only in passing.

Yeah, I'd agree with how that happened. Austin was a product of the Streisand Effect: So much of a stink was raised about him that people only got interested in seeing what all the fuss was about, and he turned the WWE around. However, you can't deny the fact that he was a name known outside of the wrestling industry. And because he was known, it generated interest in the product, which got everyone on the roster exposure. There is no one in the current generation who does that, and that is an indication of how low the interest in the WWE is right now.

Quote:

Dude...come on. We're having a discussion of differing opinions. Claiming I'm bitching is like admitting that you're just bitching about s**t too...which I'd be fine with, but don't act like you're any better in this situation...

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Actually...

John Cena
Dave Bautista

Two names from the current generation who are known outside the industry.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel

No one said he had to do it overnight. And Hogan is another bad comparison for you to pull out, because while he did other things, it was BECAUSE of his popularity in wrestling that he was able to do it. People knew who the ******** he was, which is why he got starring roles in movies.

Partially correct. He got LEADING movie roles, because people outside of the fanbase knew who he was. But not from his wrestling. From his minor role in Rocky 3. He got THAT role, because of how popular he was with the wrestling crowd, since he was playing a wrestler.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't care...but you're claiming that "only the IWC has lost interest" and that's simply not the case.

Actually...it is. With the actual fanbase, it's still as popular as ever. Or at least, not far from it.

Quote:
Quote:

Dude...come on...when did I ever say anything about "this is bad"....but if you're claiming that there's all this interest in the WWE product, when there isn't, then you're wrong.

Fine. Prove it, with something other than a random hypothetical that wouldn't pan out even in the most glorious depths of the AE or GE.

Quote:
Quote:

Which is my point, exactly. There isn't nearly as much interest as you're claiming there is. If there was, there'd be more people watching the show and subscribed to the network.

Who says there isn't?

Quote:
Quote:
In the history of the entire company, there have been a HANDFUL of wrestlers who's names were known outside of the target fanbase. Immediately I think of Andre, Hogan, Austin, Rock, and maybe Taker.

You might be able to throw Jericho on that list, but at best, he'd still be a mid-level celebrity...not nearly at the star power of the others you mentioned. And I don't know if you could really add Taker to the list if you couldn't add Jericho to the list. Oh, but Flair would definitely be on there. I mean, sure, he wasn't doing Hollywood movies, but he was a huge celebrity back in the 70s...though if we're just sticking to "guys who were able to cross over into the entertainment industry," then maybe don't add him.

Jericho....maybe. He does Fozzy, but who the hell has ever heard of them, that are not first wrestling fans?

Quote:
Quote:
And it was not a sign that the COMPANY drew interest.

Actually it was. Those guys were well known, because there was interest in the product, so they were able to do more things outside of wrestling to draw even more interest to the product.

Not really. They got those offers because of having the right people interested in the product. Movie producers that were looking for the right combination of huge muscle and the right personality. And they needed look no further than pro-wrestling. And they knew it.

That, and they wanted to secure box office figures by pandering to those wrestling fans. Something they still do today.

Quote:
Quote:
Just that those individuals did. Do you ever hear people talk about Koko B. Ware? Scotty 2 Hotty? s**t, even Scott Steiner or Booker T? No. You know why? Because they never extended beyond the ring. So nobody outside of the fanbase has heard of them.

Where did I say that "every star in the current roster has to be known"...I haven't. I picked Roman Reigns cause he's going to be main eventing the biggest show of the year and no one outside of a wrestling audience knows who the ******** he is.

And the same would've been true for anyone who was getting their first big push.

Quote:
Quote:
It's not that interest is low. It's not that interest was ever high. Just that some names become larger than the company, or even industry. But that s**t also didn't happen overnight, either.

Which, again, no one said it had to happen overnight. But in the last 8 years, the only person who has been able to gain any sort of attention on the national level for the WWE was Chris Benoit...

Yeah, because Cena hasn't gone on talk shows, or anything.

Quote:
Quote:
Nobody outside of wrestling fans knew who Hogan was, until he played in Rocky 3.

....You do realize that "nobody outside of wrestling fans" was a pretty small group of people at that time, right...Wrestling was pretty popular in the 70s and 80s. It's why territories were able to thrive. People only had a small selection of shows they could watch at the time, and wrestling was one of them...so people watched it. So yeah, people knew who the ******** Hogan was...WHICH IS WHY HE WAS CAST.

Wrong on all accounts. Wrestling only SEEMED bigger, because shows were smaller. Selling out a bingo-hall was a lot easier than selling out Madison Square.

Quote:
Quote:
Andre...well because he was freakishly large. Also, he played in that movie.

Princess Bride came out two years after the first WM...people knew who he was before hand.

Are you sure? Can you actually prove any of this?

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'd agree with how that happened. Austin was a product of the Streisand Effect: So much of a stink was raised about him that people only got interested in seeing what all the fuss was about, and he turned the WWE around. However, you can't deny the fact that he was a name known outside of the wrestling industry. And because he was known, it generated interest in the product, which got everyone on the roster exposure. There is no one in the current generation who does that, and that is an indication of how low the interest in the WWE is right now.

Quote:

Dude...come on. We're having a discussion of differing opinions. Claiming I'm bitching is like admitting that you're just bitching about s**t too...which I'd be fine with, but don't act like you're any better in this situation...

You come off as whining because the WWE supposedly isn't as popular as it used to be, when there is no quantifiable evidence to suggest this. Just your "gut feeling" and potentially misguided understanding of how things were, before you were even born to experience it.

Yes, the WWE and all the other living legends tend to talk about the "good old days" as if wrestling was as popular as the NFL now. But that's probably because it's their bread and butter, and making those days sound glorious, works out best for them. In reality, I doubt it was any more popular than it is, today. In fact, I imagine it's MORE popular today, because there's more exposure. Larry the Ax didn't have action figures for sale at Walmart, for example. Even low-level guys today have that much....

Justice Victory

2,000 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Rumblestiltskin
Vengeful Bliss

Tell that to the Californians who sold out WrestleMania's NXT show in an hour.

It's NXT...I wouldn't bother buying a ticket for a WWE show that came near my area, but I would definitely think about it if NXT came around.

Also,kind of a side question here: What venue will they be in? I mean, it's NXT, so I'd figure it'd probably be a smaller venue, but if they're giving them an arena for the event, that's a pretty big deal for them.

The Event Center at San Jose State University. Holds some 5000.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Mayor of Murderwood
Actually...

John Cena
Dave Bautista

Technically, Mike Mizanin, too. xd

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Vengeful Bliss
Rumblestiltskin
Vengeful Bliss

Tell that to the Californians who sold out WrestleMania's NXT show in an hour.

It's NXT...I wouldn't bother buying a ticket for a WWE show that came near my area, but I would definitely think about it if NXT came around.

Also,kind of a side question here: What venue will they be in? I mean, it's NXT, so I'd figure it'd probably be a smaller venue, but if they're giving them an arena for the event, that's a pretty big deal for them.

The Event Center at San Jose State University. Holds some 5000.

Hmmm...not bad. I'm hoping that show sells out, but that's probably a given.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Mayor of Murderwood
Actually...

John Cena
Dave Bautista

I'll give you Batista....but how DARE you say that Miz is a celebrity!?!?! scream scream scream

I AM R U's Spouse

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
Mayor of Murderwood
Actually...

John Cena
Dave Bautista

I'll give you Batista....but how DARE you say that Miz is a celebrity!?!?! scream scream scream

Because he was on the Real World before he was in the WWE. 3nodding People knew him outside of wrestling, before they knew him INSIDE wrestling.

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
Mayor of Murderwood
Actually...

John Cena
Dave Bautista

Cena is a pretty big given. Make-a-Wish, Fruity Pebbles, multiple guest appearances.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
black_wing_angel
Rumblestiltskin
black_wing_angel
Mayor of Murderwood
Actually...

John Cena
Dave Bautista

Because he was on the Real World before he was in the WWE. 3nodding People knew him outside of wrestling, before they knew him INSIDE wrestling.

To say that people "knew" him from the Real World is to grossly overestimate the popularity of MTV at the time...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff