Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A Taiwanese flight with 58 people turned on its side in midair, clipped an elevated roadway and careened into a river Wednesday shortly after takeoff from the island's capital of Taipei, killing at least 15 people, local media and officials said.

The death toll in the TransAsia Airways flight was expected to rise as rescue crews cleared the mostly sunken fuselage in the Keelung River a couple dozen meters (yards) from the shore. Teams of rescuers in rubber rafts clustered around the wreckage.

The ATR 72 prop-jet aircraft was flying on its side, with one wing scraping past Taiwan's National Freeway No. 1 just seconds before it plunged into the river, local television images showed. It was the airline's second French-Italian-built ATR 72 to crash in the past year.

Wednesday's flight had taken off from Taipei's downtown Sungshan Airport en route to the outlying Taiwan-controlled Kinmen islands.

Civil aviation officials said the flight took off at 10:53 a.m. and lost contact with controllers two minutes later. Thirty-one passengers were from China, Taiwan's tourism bureau said. Kinmen's airport is a common link between Taipei and China's Fujian province.

Taiwan's civil aviation authority said 15 people were killed out of 28 pulled from the fuselage and that 30 people were still missing.

Wu Jun-hong, a Taipei Fire Department official who was coordinating the rescue, said the missing people were still in the fuselage or had been pulled downriver, he said.

"At the moment, things don't look too optimistic," Wu told reporters at the scene. "Those in the front of the plane are likely to have lost their lives."

Rescuers were pulling luggage from an open plane door to clear the fuselage, and Wu said they planned to build a pontoon bridge to facilitate those efforts.

The plane's wing also hit a taxi, the driver of which was injured, on the freeway just before it crashed into the river, Taiwanese broadcaster TVBS reported.

Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense said it had sent 165 people and eight boats to the riverside rescue scene, joining fire department rescue crews.

A TransAsia media office declined comment on possible reasons for the crash, deferring to a news conference scheduled for later on Wednesday. Taiwan's Civil Aeronautics Administration also was also unable to discuss possible causes of the crash.

Another ATR 72 operated by the same Taipei-based airline crashed in the outlying Taiwan-controlled islands of Penghu last July 23, killing 48 at the end of a typhoon for reasons that are still under investigation.

Survivors
We can die anytime, but to be honest - this time can come faster if we fly by planes
miroslab
We can die anytime, but to be honest - this time can come faster if we fly by planes

I really don't want to feed the troll

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Saw the video taken on a dash cam and that plane was literally on it's side while smashing into the bridge. Part of the wing smashed right off just before the crash land. Death count rising.
miroslab

*Asian planes
Eh...ATR-72 doesn't have the best safety and reliability on record...I'm looking at a possible hydraulic failure. And at the risk of sounding racist, what is it with the s**t luck that Asian's have with aircraft in recent years?
miroslab

I've flown in, out, and around 9 different countries, 2 of them considered warzone airspaces, on board aircraft from 6 different manufactures, some slow enough to be passed by storms, and one fast enough to actually outrun the setting sun, and I have nealy 1500 hours of in seat time flying various aircraft myself.

If you are so afraid to die while traveling, sell your car, bicycle, public transit pass, and amputate your legs for sale on the black market because you are hundreds of times more likely to die through those methods of travel than by aircraft.
--Sky Kid Tai--
miroslab

I've flown in, out, and around 9 different countries, 2 of them considered warzone airspaces, on board aircraft from 6 different manufactures, some slow enough to be passed by storms, and one fast enough to actually outrun the setting sun, and I have nealy 1500 hours of in seat time flying various aircraft myself.

If you are so afraid to die while traveling, sell your car, bicycle, public transit pass, and amputate your legs for sale on the black market because you are hundreds of times more likely to die through those methods of travel than by aircraft.

Bullshit. You did not fly the concorde

Fandom Trash

36,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
Aviation has had a really tough year huh?

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Seriously, another plane? What's with Air Asia ad all these plane crashed seeming to happen back to back without anything be done to help stop this from cointuining to happen?
God Emperor Baldur
--Sky Kid Tai--
miroslab

Did I say I flew Concorde? I'd give my left nut and my first born to do it, but I haven't. I was lucky enough to fly aboard her before she was retired. You shouldn't attempt to put words in another person's mouth.

Kudos though for knowing which aircraft I was talking about though.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Silenced Nocturne
Aviation has had a really tough year huh?

A rough couple of decades. At the very least. Airlines here in America has had it's many problems since the Federal Government deregulated the airlines back in the 80's. Part of the problem is maintenance with those in charge of that will mark it off without actually doing the work. Or they missed something...
Many of the planes are getting old and falling apart too. And then there are situation where you got the co-pilot who has some flight hours but not enough doing the piloting in bad weather instead of the pilot guy who has many more hours or even years of experience.
--Sky Kid Tai--
God Emperor Baldur
--Sky Kid Tai--
miroslab

Did I say I flew Concorde? I'd give my left nut and my first born to do it, but I haven't. I was lucky enough to fly aboard her before she was retired. You shouldn't attempt to put words in another person's mouth.

Kudos though for knowing which aircraft I was talking about though.

You heavily implied it. It was either that or you spent 20 grand to fly in a Mig or you are an air force pilot. I hope you understand that I doubt all of them, but if you flew the Concorde, then you are a lucky b*****d.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
I saw a picture of it online. It was just awful.

Debris all over the place, it looked like an explosion happened on the bridge and not a plane crashing into it.

kuroreo's Waifu

Peaceful Light

27,575 Points
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ultimate Player 200
At least they were not in the middle of the ocean at the time emotion_0A0 probably would have been fewer than 15 survivors. But wow... I hope they get their safety issues in order over there. My soon to be sister in law is Taiwanese and my brother flies out there once a year for visiting her family.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff