Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
So I've decided I want to study abroad for my senior year in college. I'm going to be majoring in Business Administration.

What kinds of experiences have you had if you've studied abroad?

Any countries you'd recommend that you've been to?

What steps did you take to research where you want to go?

What questions did you ask during the application process?

Were there things you wish you had remembered in hindsight after you left?

Any tips, advice or words of wisdom I should consider?

I'd appreciate any feedback from people who are in the process, or have studied abroad, or will be, thanks!

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I'm working on studying abroad for the summer semester to Suwon, South Korea :3 I found a really good program that was the cheapest, and actually offered more than any other program. Including extra excursions that came with as opposed to paying extra. The hard part is just getting all your stuff together, recomendations, writing your essay, funding, and then getting your pass port. I was told to plan six months in advance so I started funding a year in advance.

Now I'm mainly just filling out lots of scholarships and I just need my pass port and then course approval list.

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
DJ Twissta
I'm working on studying abroad for the summer semester to Suwon, South Korea :3 I found a really good program that was the cheapest, and actually offered more than any other program. Including extra excursions that came with as opposed to paying extra. The hard part is just getting all your stuff together, recomendations, writing your essay, funding, and then getting your pass port. I was told to plan six months in advance so I started funding a year in advance.

Now I'm mainly just filling out lots of scholarships and I just need my pass port and then course approval list.

Congratulations! I got lucky as far as my passport goes and have that (the joys of having a travel agent for a mom!), though I did want to go ahead and start funding and see. The recommendations don't seem like too big an issue. I have a a few professors who have volunteered. Scholarships are probably going to be the biggest task for me, and saving up as much as I can. Essays are pretty easy for me, I've already written out three different ones to choose from...

Korea, though! That's so awesome I really, really hope you enjoy it there? What will you be studying there? The one program the local University offers only offers Seoul, which wouldn't be so bad since I have family there. I attend a community college but I want to transfer to a University once I'm done, and when I apply I want this trip to show up bright and shiny so they can see I want to be accepted and stretch as far as I can and do as much as I can.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Deus Ex Aizen
DJ Twissta

Congratulations! I got lucky as far as my passport goes and have that (the joys of having a travel agent for a mom!), though I did want to go ahead and start funding and see. The recommendations don't seem like too big an issue. I have a a few professors who have volunteered. Scholarships are probably going to be the biggest task for me, and saving up as much as I can. Essays are pretty easy for me, I've already written out three different ones to choose from...

Korea, though! That's so awesome I really, really hope you enjoy it there? What will you be studying there? The one program the local University offers only offers Seoul, which wouldn't be so bad since I have family there. I attend a community college but I want to transfer to a University once I'm done, and when I apply I want this trip to show up bright and shiny so they can see I want to be accepted and stretch as far as I can and do as much as I can.

Be sure to mention what makes you stand out as a study abroad student for your scholarships (underrepresented groups). For example you are a community college student (very rare in study abroad), so you can really bring that out in your essay. Are you a first generatopm college student? are you classified as a minority, are you going to a non-traditional location (places that don't speak English usually lol) there are a few others but those are some things that can help your case. You may also look into the FEA (fund education abroad) scholarship because they're big at helping people who are underrepresented in study abroad. And lots of private scholarships lol. I like to mention studying abroad as one of my goals and then just brag about your accomplishments like with any other scholarship.

ohhh and to answer your question haha, I'm gonna be taking another Korean language course (I did really well on my first one o- o, taking a beginning 2 this semester) and then a history course on North and South Korea.

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
DJ Twissta
Deus Ex Aizen
DJ Twissta

Be sure to mention what makes you stand out as a study abroad student for your scholarships (underrepresented groups). For example you are a community college student (very rare in study abroad), so you can really bring that out in your essay. Are you a first generatopm college student? are you classified as a minority, are you going to a non-traditional location (places that don't speak English usually lol) there are a few others but those are some things that can help your case. You may also look into the FEA (fund education abroad) scholarship because they're big at helping people who are underrepresented in study abroad. And lots of private scholarships lol. I like to mention studying abroad as one of my goals and then just brag about your accomplishments like with any other scholarship.

ohhh and to answer your question haha, I'm gonna be taking another Korean language course (I did really well on my first one o- o, taking a beginning 2 this semester) and then a history course on North and South Korea.

Noted, noted. I used a past tragedy to motivate me to do well for myself, and since I will be the first generation college student, I will build off of that. ._. Plus I'm mixed so I can hopefully find some scholarships that will help out. Whichever country I decide will have the right program, I will probably take a language course or two. I am mainly looking at Asia since they seem to offer good business and language courses. I have three different places I can tap into languages learning from since I'm A) Part Japanese B) Have a Chinese boyfriend and C) Have Korean family I can glean knowledge from.

Good job on advancing to another language course, though! I am best with English, French and Japanese. I will probably take Korean just to ease the language barrier with my family in Seoul, plus I enjoy the culture in general. If you like it do you think you'll consider going for a longer period next time if there is an opportunity?

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Deus Ex Aizen
DJ Twissta
Deus Ex Aizen
DJ Twissta

Noted, noted. I used a past tragedy to motivate me to do well for myself, and since I will be the first generation college student, I will build off of that. ._. Plus I'm mixed so I can hopefully find some scholarships that will help out. Whichever country I decide will have the right program, I will probably take a language course or two. I am mainly looking at Asia since they seem to offer good business and language courses. I have three different places I can tap into languages learning from since I'm A) Part Japanese B) Have a Chinese boyfriend and C) Have Korean family I can glean knowledge from.

Good job on advancing to another language course, though! I am best with English, French and Japanese. I will probably take Korean just to ease the language barrier with my family in Seoul, plus I enjoy the culture in general. If you like it do you think you'll consider going for a longer period next time if there is an opportunity?

I'm actually considering teaching in Busan, South Korea through the public school system after I graduate and get TESOL certified (teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) :3 but I wanted to study abroad first because that would give me an idea of if this is really the right path for me.

The biggest factor for me was just funding, at the moment it's interesting because my mom got laid off last year and her severance ends this February. We're doing a payment plan now at my university (I transferred over too biggrin I transferred 71 credits over, the limit was like 72). and it only allows us two installments instead of three (which they advertised >.> wink so my mom was wondering how we would make that one, so if they're not able to I would pay for that one. So since a lot of it is up in the air, I'm trying to fill out lots of scholarship essays haha.

Familiar Informer

6,300 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Profitable 100
I've went abroad before and I think studying the countries social norms are most important.

I think foods pretty important but that varies alot.

In my interview I was basically asked about tolerance and team effort(like willingness to help out with others) since I would be with a group most of the time.

I wish I took more video...

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
DJ Twissta

That's pretty respectable. I hope that works out. I wonder if those programs like GoFundMe really have a good turnout if you publicly advertise. I have a lot to take care of first, moving out from where I am, getting my own place so I have some sanity left in me. I like sitting and organizing my finances so I have an idea of where I am, where I want to go, what I want to do.

I imagine that IS the biggest obstacle a lot of potential students face. I remember when my mom was laid off work after she got pneumonia and I had to find a way to pay for rent AND bills until she could recover, so the struggle is definitely real and I hope that all works out for you. Teaching is such a great profession, especially when it comes to other languages. I feel like you're better off seeking a job overseas than locally. That's why I didn't pursue being a teacher, myself. Though I wager if I like being overseas enough, I'll follow after one of my friends who is teaching in China and do something like that.

I want to explore all the opportunities in college I missed or didn't take in high school and trade school.

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Kutesii
I've went abroad before and I think studying the countries social norms are most important.

I think foods pretty important but that varies alot.

In my interview I was basically asked about tolerance and team effort(like willingness to help out with others) since I would be with a group most of the time.

I wish I took more video...

That's awesome! Where was it that you had gone to? What did you study while there?

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Deus Ex Aizen
DJ Twissta

That's pretty respectable. I hope that works out. I wonder if those programs like GoFundMe really have a good turnout if you publicly advertise. I have a lot to take care of first, moving out from where I am, getting my own place so I have some sanity left in me. I like sitting and organizing my finances so I have an idea of where I am, where I want to go, what I want to do.

I imagine that IS the biggest obstacle a lot of potential students face. I remember when my mom was laid off work after she got pneumonia and I had to find a way to pay for rent AND bills until she could recover, so the struggle is definitely real and I hope that all works out for you. Teaching is such a great profession, especially when it comes to other languages. I feel like you're better off seeking a job overseas than locally. That's why I didn't pursue being a teacher, myself. Though I wager if I like being overseas enough, I'll follow after one of my friends who is teaching in China and do something like that.

I want to explore all the opportunities in college I missed or didn't take in high school and trade school.

I think all in all it really depends on how much you're trying to earn, how much you're able to save, what you can get from scholarships, what your circumstances are, and then how much time you have lol. Another fun thing is when you do find the program you like, look for facebook groups for that program and talk to past students, (be sure to mention these in your scholarship essays btw, it shows you're really interested).

What was trade school like? :3
Wish I would have gotten my s**t together in time to go abroad in undergrad! Unfortunately there were no such options for me in my final year. I might have been able to in second or third year if I hadn't started my program in January. Ah well, at least the rest of the world will always be there!

All the schools I looked at, though, had crazy tuition fees. That's something I would keep in mind if I were you.
Also semester schedules can differ a lot from your home school so make sure you can get there by the start date!

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
DJ Twissta

I think all in all it really depends on how much you're trying to earn, how much you're able to save, what you can get from scholarships, what your circumstances are, and then how much time you have lol. Another fun thing is when you do find the program you like, look for facebook groups for that program and talk to past students, (be sure to mention these in your scholarship essays btw, it shows you're really interested).

[ Took notes~ ]

Difficult but very rewarding. I wasn't ready for college yet, and I couldn't get into the Air Force. I went to a Job Corps for Culinary. Two year scholarship, but I graduated in eleven months. I should have stayed to do another trade, but I had a family emergency I was eager to help handle. We were out in Kentucky on government property, so we weren't allowed to leave campus like some Job Corps let ya'.

I ended up doing welding for four months, did a trade transfer to Computer Tech. I became trade chief there after a couple of months--which means I got to teach the class since our instructor's primary job was a fitness trainer and that took up most of her time.

I was SGA Secretary--while I was trying for president, that's about when I found out about the family emergency and when it turned out I ended up staying, I missed elections by a day. One of my CT students couldn't handle the duties and nominated me to take his place so I accepted it until I graduated. I was a student leader, a campus guide. I had a seat on the fact-finding board for students in danger of being terminated from the program. I was a dorm coordinator so I was responsible for my dorm's supply. I was my dorm rep for our recreation committee.

It was hard, really, hard. You deal with a lot of students who don't want to be there. Some are court-ordered to be there. The rules can be difficult. The drama is real. The struggle is real. But I swear, if you stick to it, you come out with some good friends, references, memories, and a damn good lookin' resume. My particular campus has one of the better reputations despite how small it is, and my outreach and admissions counselor sent me there 'by mistake'. But really, it was probably the best 'mistake' he had ever made for me.

Rune Slessiane's Husband

Fashionable Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Petrosoap
Wish I would have gotten my s**t together in time to go abroad in undergrad! Unfortunately there were no such options for me in my final year. I might have been able to in second or third year if I hadn't started my program in January. Ah well, at least the rest of the world will always be there!

All the schools I looked at, though, had crazy tuition fees. That's something I would keep in mind if I were you.
Also semester schedules can differ a lot from your home school so make sure you can get there by the start date!

Well shoot, have you considered seeing if there was a program outside of school you could get into? Or have you considered just traveling to enrich yourself and for the experience?

And yeah I saw a lot of high tuition, which really makes sense considering coordinating a trip like that is hella expensive.
Deus Ex Aizen
Petrosoap

Well shoot, have you considered seeing if there was a program outside of school you could get into? Or have you considered just traveling to enrich yourself and for the experience?

And yeah I saw a lot of high tuition, which really makes sense considering coordinating a trip like that is hella expensive.
At this point I'm just saving for a vacation for me and my bf and that's good enough for me :].

Might look into grad school options abroad if I can win a scholarship someday! We'll see.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Deus Ex Aizen
DJ Twissta

[ Took notes~ ]

Difficult but very rewarding. I wasn't ready for college yet, and I couldn't get into the Air Force. I went to a Job Corps for Culinary. Two year scholarship, but I graduated in eleven months. I should have stayed to do another trade, but I had a family emergency I was eager to help handle. We were out in Kentucky on government property, so we weren't allowed to leave campus like some Job Corps let ya'.

I ended up doing welding for four months, did a trade transfer to Computer Tech. I became trade chief there after a couple of months--which means I got to teach the class since our instructor's primary job was a fitness trainer and that took up most of her time.

I was SGA Secretary--while I was trying for president, that's about when I found out about the family emergency and when it turned out I ended up staying, I missed elections by a day. One of my CT students couldn't handle the duties and nominated me to take his place so I accepted it until I graduated. I was a student leader, a campus guide. I had a seat on the fact-finding board for students in danger of being terminated from the program. I was a dorm coordinator so I was responsible for my dorm's supply. I was my dorm rep for our recreation committee.

It was hard, really, hard. You deal with a lot of students who don't want to be there. Some are court-ordered to be there. The rules can be difficult. The drama is real. The struggle is real. But I swear, if you stick to it, you come out with some good friends, references, memories, and a damn good lookin' resume. My particular campus has one of the better reputations despite how small it is, and my outreach and admissions counselor sent me there 'by mistake'. But really, it was probably the best 'mistake' he had ever made for me.

You're pretty interesting did you know that? :3 I think it's so cool that you've got to experience so many different fields. What do you like to do when you're resting if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff